Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > help converting to pdf  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Access Theory
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Access TheoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2002
Total Posts : 5

Posted 4/1/2002 7:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am not having any luck converting my finale files to pdf files using Acrobat Distiller.
Can anyone walk me through the steps.
As simply as possible please.

ronny
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ronnyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 581

Posted 4/1/2002 11:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
open a file in finale. then print the part, but before you print it, choose "acrobat distiller" as the printer. it will "print" the part to your pdf output folder within acrobat. once you've printed all parts you want for an entire file, or song, go to that folder (pdf output) and open the first one, then insert (control/shift "I") additional parts to it until you've got one file with the entire song, and save it wherever you want it with the name you choose. be sure, when inserting the files, you insert it "after/last page", otherwise the pages will not be in the correct order. it's a very simple and fast process once you do it a couple times. i save all my songs on one of my hard drives in my "pdf" folder. i also have created a shortcut on my desktop for the pdf output folder because it takes several sub folders to find it. (program files/abobe/acrobat/pdf output).

TTBashore
Registered Member

Click to send TTBashore email.Click to visit TTBashore's website.Send a Private Message to TTBashoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 148

Posted 4/2/2002 1:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What version of Finale are you using? What OS? If you're in Finale 2002 and Windows XP you're in trouble. The only current workaround is one first suggested by Gary Tomassetti: Create a ps file using the MS Imagesetter driver and then distill that file. Make sure Engraver Slurs are turned off, for they do not always convert properly. Good luck!

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 4/2/2002 4:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And on the subject, e-mail those requests in to Coda, folks...

I like Finale as much as the next person, but I have to say that the issues with EPS and PDF and PostScript are a bit of a bore. As much as I would like to see cool new notational features in Finale 2003, I think it's just as important that these glitches be fixed.

Cheers.

Gary

musicofnote
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit musicofnote's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 490

Posted 4/2/2002 11:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gary,

I wonder how much of this is a Windows
thing and how much is a Coda thing.
Although I have Acrobat 3.x for Windows, I
make all my .PDFs on Macs, since 95%
of my Finale work is done on my Macs [g].
I've had no serious PDF problems I could
directly relate to Finale (one problem with
a violin method book, but not with the
Finale EPSs, but rather with some
scanned line graphics).

greetings

Leonard Cecil
ACE-[SYSOP] on Compuserve
Music of Note
http://www.music-of-note.com

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 4/2/2002 3:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Leonard:

It's all Windows!!!

I also use a Mac, and have the identical applications loaded on each platform: Finale 2001d and 2002b, Illustrator 9.0.2 (soon to be 10), PageMaker 7, Photoshop 6.1 (soon to be 7), Acrobat 5.0.5 and Type Manager Deluxe 4.1 (Windows) and 4.6 (Mac).

I have absolutely no EPS, PDF or PostScript problems on the Mac side, and the EPS and PDF files I create on the Mac open flawlessly on my PC, as long as I'm careful about the fonts.

If something gets weird in Mac land, it's invariably because I did something wrong, not the OS...

Cheers.

Gary

TTBashore
Registered Member

Click to send TTBashore email.Click to visit TTBashore's website.Send a Private Message to TTBashoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 4/3/2002 8:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think there's a problem with Coda's PostScript fonts. They are not embeddable in pdf's in Windows XP. I'm not really sure why this is, but other non-Coda PostScript fonts embed fine.

TechSupport
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit TechSupport's website.Send a Private Message to TechSupportAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 432

Posted 4/5/2002 4:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We have had no problems embedding our postscript fonts into PDF files here. Windows is very wierd about fonts. If you have too many fonts, problems like that can happen. You can see more info at the following web address:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q131/9/43.ASP

Dan
Coda Tech

TTBashore
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 4/5/2002 4:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think the font limit is an issue in XP.
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292726
I have yet to see a pdf created by printing to Distiller in XP that embeds the PostScript fonts. TrueType ones are embeddable however, and if you don't have to use PostScript (no need for EPS etc) then you should have no problem accomplishing this. If Coda could post a pdf created by printing to Distiller in XP that embeds the PostScript fonts, this may provide a clue in solving this problem.