Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > This over that  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Stumpy6653
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Stumpy6653AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2001
Total Posts : 146

Posted 8/21/2011 10:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi there...

I have been trying to put in a C/D7 but can't seem to figure it out. It gives me C/D. In jazz theory class they specifically want C/D7 which denotes a C ma chord over a D7 chord rather than C7/D which denotes a C7 chord over D in the bass.

I tried unchecking the "simplify chord" to no avail.

Please point me in the right direction.

freaked

Freeze

Craig Murray
(aka Mr. Freeze)
Bassist - Crash The Machine
Endorsing Artist: Eden Bass Amplification/MTD Z Basses
PC - 2ghz AMD, 3gb ram, 900gb drive space
Finale 2010, ProTools LE 7.4
http://www.crashthemachine.com http://www.myspace.com/crashthemachine

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 8/21/2011 11:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Finale can't do polychords like this. I think you're going to have to enter it as C/D, then add in the 7 as a separate expression.

Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.6, 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM

jim dukey
Registered Member

Click to send jim dukey email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jim dukeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1082

Posted 8/21/2011 11:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I can't think of any place I would use C/D7. C/D, CMaj7/D, are what I would use. Where is this Class taught? How would you voice C/D7? Slash Chords often indicate a Sus4 Chord, D7 with a G, not F#. Slash notation usually shows a simple way to voice the chord, rather than just a theoretical explanation. Of course you can stack them, but the F# will sound better above the G, not below. Again, how would you use and voice C/D7? Editing Suffixes will give you anything you want, but be sure you know exactly how to voice what you want, what the context and style indicate, where it's going, what preceded it. Leaving it up for interpretation may not produce the sound you want, or lead to the question "How do you voice this?" But using the Edit Suffix capabilites of Finale, you can do it anyway you want. I'm probably not the best person here to explain that. All I can say is , Be Careful of What You Ask For, You Might Get It!

Molecular Computer, Powered by Fusion in a Jar. Finale 3000, Wireless ESP Module, No Physical Interface, Printed Parts Manifest by The Universe,
SOOOO Boring! Now Everybody is Friggin' Mozart.

Post Edited (jim dukey) : 8/21/2011 11:42:34 AM (GMT-5)

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 8/21/2011 12:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jim dukey said...
But using the Edit Suffix capabilites of Finale, you can do it anyway you want.

But you can't do what the OP asked because Finale looks at the letter under the slash "/D" as a single alternate bass note, not as a chord. There's no way that I know of, of attaching a chord suffix to the alternate bass note.

Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.6, 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM

Jeremy Levy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Jeremy Levy's website.Send a Private Message to Jeremy LevyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 811

Posted 8/21/2011 2:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You have to get creative with the chord tool to make this look right. It involves using two separate chord entries. One for the top, and one for the bottom. You can insert the slash as a chord suffix to the top or bottom.

But, yeah, C/D7 is a weird polychord...

Jeremy Levy
Trombonist, Orchestrator, Composer/Arranger, Copyist
Santa Monica, CA
www.jlevymusic.com
Finale 2007-2011

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 8/21/2011 2:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
We went through this on the form years ago, and I know we came up with some great workarounds. First of all, polychords are not generally done with the slanted slash, but the horizontal one. Finale can do that, but still no 7. There are several ways to fake it but . Going in the direction of Jeremy's idea, I would enter D7, then push the up arrow, then C. I would then add the line as a Smart Shape line between the 2. The length of the line changes with respacing, but that can be adjusted easily. The suffix idea Jeremy mentioned is a way that would keep it from resizing. However, it does take a bit more work.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 8/21/2011 3:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jetcopy said...
...add in the 7 as a separate expression...

Zuill said...
...Going in the direction of Jeremy's idea, I would enter D7, then push the up arrow, then C. I would then add the line as a Smart Shape line between the 2...

A combination of these two ideas:
Enter D7, then push the up arrow, then C.
Add the horizontal line as a shape expression.

In this way you have full control over the line's position and length.

If you program a metatool for the line expression, you can enter multiple instances of C/D7 quickly.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011b, Dolet 5 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.6.8, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Post Edited (Peter Thomsen) : 8/21/2011 4:51:04 PM (GMT-5)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 8/21/2011 4:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually, adding the 7 as an expression was Jetcopy's suggestion, not mine. The shape expression as opposed to the Smart Shape line is good. I had that thought too, but didn't mention it. Even easier would be a Text Expression. Just enter the shift+- 3 times.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 8/21/2011 4:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oops, sorry Jetcopy!

I have corrected the quote.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011b, Dolet 5 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.6.8, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

migman
Registered Member

Click to send migman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to migmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2000
Total Posts : 2432

Posted 8/22/2011 3:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you're only worried about how it looks, as opposed to how it plays back or transposes, an you can make a suffix that looks like this: /D7. The advantage is that you can have everything in one piece, rather than multiple chords, expressions, shapes or what ever. Just go with the solution that works the best for you.

Finale 2008b • MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz • OS10.4.11 • 4GB Ram