Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Any way to have piano sustain pedal only for Treble clef?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Djard
Registered Member

Click to send Djard email.Click to visit Djard's website.Send a Private Message to DjardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2010
Total Posts : 518

Posted 1/13/2015 12:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not a pianist but am aware of the limitations of the instrument. However, since Finale is capable of exceeding reality, I'm wondering if it's possible to apply sustain/damper pedal to a section in the treble cleft without affecting the bass clef. Is this possible without separating the clefs for playback?

Djard
Finale 2012

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 1/13/2015 12:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There might be several approaches. If you don't want separate channels for the 2 staves (what I gather from your description), you might try putting those measures in a different layer, and have that layer on a separate channel.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Kelby
MakeMusic, Inc. Employee

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to KelbyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 69

Posted 1/13/2015 1:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This might help you out too:

http://www.finalemusic.com/blog/finale-blog-keyboard-playback-tips/

-K

Kelby Stine

Repertoire Development Music Engraver and Editor
MakeMusic, Inc.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 1/13/2015 1:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why don't you want to separate the clefs for playback, out of curiosity?

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Djard
Registered Member

Click to send Djard email.Click to visit Djard's website.Send a Private Message to DjardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2010

Posted 1/14/2015 4:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the idea of working with layers.

The idea of assigning independent channels to the two clefs appeals to me, even though I am unable to make that work. I tried the following without success. The notes in the bass clef still sustain

1. Window -> ScoreManager.
2. Click on triangular icon in "Name" column next to "Piano" to expand the group to "[Staff 1]" and "[Staff 2]."
3. Click on "1" in the "Channel" column of "[Staff 2]" -> Enter.
4. Assign the pedal marking to the treble clef.

My main reason for not separating the clefs is merely cosmetic and perhaps a touch of laziness. But I also hit a brick wall trying to find the steps in the manual for separating piano clefs: I searched among the plugins, fiddled with score manager, searched YouTube and even Googled the idea, all without success. It's probably a simple task, but I can't find any way to do it. I think computer programmers should never be permitted to attempt to write software manuals.

If anyone can point out what I overlooked in the steps above, I'd be mighty grateful.

Djard
Finale 2012

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 1/14/2015 6:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
2011 doesn't have a score manager, but in the instrument list you have to create two piano "instruments" if you want them on separate channels. Otherwise, when you change the channel on one staff you change the other automatically.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 1/14/2015 6:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would build the Grand Staff out of two separate blank staves, assign them to two different piano instances (not the different channels) and then group them together with the Group option of the Staff Tool.

Finale 2014c - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar X3 Producer)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
pnoStaff.png
  283KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 166 time(s).

Djard
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2010

Posted 1/14/2015 7:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think Derrek's option will work for me. But I figure that I'll need to create a new document then copy and paste the notation I have into the new document with two separate but grouped staves, since nothing I try permits me to separate the two piano staves. (Is that even possible?)

Peter Saltzman states it's possible to assign each staff a separate MIDI channel, which then allegedly permits applying different dynamics and articulations to each clef simultaneously, as well as hairpins and pedaling.

http://www.finalemusic.com/blog/finale-blog-keyboard-playback-tips/

I followed his steps precisely and couldn't even get the pedal sustain to work, let alone assign individual dynamics to the two clefs. No question that Finale is a wonderful program, but to date I think I've spent more time trying to learn how to make it do what I want work than to write music.

Is it really possible to apply pedaling and different dynamics to only one stave by assigning each staff a separate MIDI channel? I'd be curious to learn if Peter's steps work for someone else.

Djard
Finale 2012