Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Reverb on Softsynth Sounds?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

chordspinner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to chordspinnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2005
Total Posts : 138

Posted 11/29/2016 7:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Greetings. I just purchased and (successfully so far) installed the newest version of Finale, v.25
I have been told that the Garritan Reverb is no longer supported.
Is there any way to get reverb on Softsynth sounds?

Thanks for the help I always receive here.

Fred

Finale 1998 thru Vers.25
Dell Studio XPS

8gigRam

Windows 10

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/29/2016 9:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you use Softsynth when in the MIDI mode, you can open the mixer and choose the Reverb level and type. Not quite the same, but better than nothing.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.1

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 11/29/2016 10:48:24 AM (GMT-6)

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 11/29/2016 12:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill,
When I try to assign a SoftSynth piano, the reverb setting on the Master Slider in the Finale Mixer does not offer any pulldown choices for Reverb/level, and the SoftSynth instrument gives no access to the Aria Mixer.

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/29/2016 12:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a circular knob, not a slider. The reverb type options are from a drop-down menu below the knob. I'll look for a slider to see if I'm not seeing things correctly.

Zuill

P.S.: The Master Slider is the Master Volume. The reverb level (set for all instruments at once) is at the top. The drop-down menu is right below that knob.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.1

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

chordspinner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to chordspinnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 11/29/2016 4:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the help gentlemen. I'll try that. I just do not like the Garritan sounds for jazz band.

Finale 1998 thru Vers.25
Dell Studio XPS

8gigRam

Windows 10

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 11/29/2016 6:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay, I get the option(s) Zuill describes if I play through MIDI. I was formerly trying to play through the SoftSynth as a VST option.

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25.1 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum, Dorico)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Credo
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CredoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2016
Total Posts : 142

Posted 11/29/2016 7:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To shape up the Garritan Jazz Brass sounds just grab a nice EQ and Compression plugin. It can make a world of difference with a little practice using the right effects to get control of the more strident harmonics. Also....since the brass samples are really dry in Garritatan libraries, a touch of reverb goes a long way towards getting a better blend. It's a very fine sample set....it's just DRY, so you must artificially build the room context you're looking for to make it blend.

1. Isolate each section to a unique instance of ARIA Player (I.E. An instance for the woodwinds, another for brass, another for rhythm section, and another for drums/percussion).
2. Shape the tonal quality of each instrument with the basic EQ controls included in ARIA.
3. Add further EQ and/or compression using a VST plugin assigned to each ARIA instance, and you also might like EQ and a tiny bit of compression on the Master/Mixed output as well.

You can get a nice set of VST plugins for things like EQ and Multi-Band dynamic compression free from this link at the reaper website.

ARIA has a couple of decent reverbs built in. You get a convolution unit and a standard reverb that can run in parallel.

You might also try the free Reverberate LE plugin if you'd like to use any VSTi plugins in Finale that do not have their own internal reverb effects.

Here is a short list of some other 64bit plugins that be of interest in the latest Finale release:
http://blog.wavosaur.com/top-10-free-vst-effects-64-bit/

For a little more detail on using some of these plugins, have a look towards the end of this thread here on the Finale Forums:
http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=481160&g=481475#m481475

Post Edited (Credo) : 11/29/2016 7:04:24 PM (GMT-6)

chordspinner
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 11/30/2016 7:33 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you, Credo. That will give me quite a bit to work on.
I have always defaulted to the Softsynth sounds because, no matter how much tweaking I did with the reverbs on the Garritan Samples....especially the trumpets and saxes, they still have that nasally sound.
Again, I appreciate your suggestions.

Fred

Finale 1998 thru Vers.25
Dell Studio XPS

8gigRam

Windows 10

Credo
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CredoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2016
Total Posts : 142

Posted 11/30/2016 3:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
chordspinner said...
Thank you, Credo. That will give me quite a bit to work on.
I have always defaulted to the Softsynth sounds because, no matter how much tweaking I did with the reverbs on the Garritan Samples....especially the trumpets and saxes, they still have that nasally sound.
Again, I appreciate your suggestions.

Fred

Yes, it's true that some of the Garritan jazz brass is very strident and harsh, best used for passages WAY up in the top register. Sometimes it works out well to use one of the trumpets that was designed for orchestra or band in the lower parts (you won't get falls, doits, and kisses though) and just use the jazz one on Trumpet 1.

Using more instances of ARIA to separate out the brass will allow you to use a 'different' type and mount of reverb from the rest of the band. In my opinion, for many types of mixes, the Garritan Brass needs more, and often different verbs from everything else for more 'studio like' jazz mixes.

The EQ plugin in notch mode can help you bring down the more offensive harmonics. Unlike the built in 3 position shelf EQ that comes with ARIA, you can plot your own frequencies curves and pull down the 'exact' range of frequencies you need. For some types of mixes the multi band compression can really help sweeten up brass as well, as that lets you compress or decompress harmonics 'by frequency range' into an optimal dynamic level for the particular mix/sound you're hunting.

The Band Compressor can help you pull individual pieces of the percussion sets included with Finale more into the mix too. I like overhead to 'sizzle' more for jazz...and compression can help us do that without having to buy fancy third party libraries right away.

Trumpet 1 from JABB2 is really bright....but there are at least 5 players in the JABB2 box to choose from and they all have a different overall character. I forget if Finale gives you more than one player to choose from...if so, try some of the others.

Gotta head to work, but I'll try to come back later and find or make a brief tutorial with some examples to hear. It's not all that difficult once you get a little practice with the plugins.

Post Edited (Credo) : 11/30/2016 2:09:41 PM (GMT-6)

chordspinner
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2005

Posted 11/30/2016 3:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, thank you very much, Credo! I had completely forgotten that you can set up multiple Arias and use them as musically and creatively as that!
I'm usually churning out arrangements and want more just to get a general overall "decent" sound, so I can hear the sections, etc.
I do have JABB but, like I said, I have been so disappointed with the saxes and trumpet sounds that I have reverted to Softsynth sounds. It looks like I have a bit of work to do. I would really appreciate any tutorial you might put together.....as I'm certain many here would.

Zuill, your suggestion of using Softsyths and midi, then tweaking the mixer reverb, worked perfectly. For most of my work that will do just fine.

Thanks again.

Fred

Finale 1998 thru Vers.25
Dell Studio XPS

8gigRam

Windows 10