Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > The new-fangled hairpins  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
55 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/19/2016 12:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Harpsi said...
I...added #Hotstring ? * b0 in the start of the script... :*b0:§<::

Can you explain how the multi-character hotstrings work in Autohotkey? The documentation is poor. What's the *b0 for? Did you indeed place something at the beginning of the script as well?

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/19/2016 2:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here is the revised version of JW's autohotkey file. See the comments for the added arguments to openJWpluginwindow.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

File Attachment :
Finale-jwplugins2.ahk   4KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 410 time(s).

Harpsi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HarpsiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 495

Posted 12/19/2016 3:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The * disables the use of an ending character like space or period to trigger the hotstring. The b0 cancels out the automatic backspace function after triggering the hotstring. The question mark is for the ability to trigger the hotstring even if you type something else just before.

I realize now that the starting line (#Hotstring...) in the script should be sufficient, no need for the repeated *b0's in the rest of the code!
To be honest, I do not know AHK very well, I just learnt enough to do the scripts I needed.

Thank you for posting your revised version! I will have a look.

Finale 2014.5, Win 10, Korg M1, Oxygen 25

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/19/2016 3:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, thanks. I've used AHK a fair amount, but never hotstrings. I like them, because you only need to find one key not used by Finale, instead of a bunch. No section symbol on U.S. keyboard, but the backquote seems expendable for what I do, so I'm using that.

I've made tasks for crescendo, decrescendo, and adjustments for ppp through fff on the left so far. All is working.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Harpsi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HarpsiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 12/19/2016 5:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Really good improvement with the waitstring and the "double naming" of the plugins. I tried it out a bit, and it works well but the way I did it is very much faster, at least on my system.

First (see below): about 3 seconds
Second, adressing the sequence: 4 seconds
Third (mine), adressing sequence: just under 1 second.

Is this more or less what you get also?

+^!x::
if (openJWpluginwindow("JW", "JW Change...", "JW Change", 10, 5, "hairpin's left-side") = 1)
{
   setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Change", 1, 30)
   setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Change", 2, 0)
   applyandcloseJWpluginwindow("JW Change")
}
return

+^!z::
if (openJWpluginwindow("JW", "JW Change...", "JW Change", 1, 3, "piano left") = 1)
{
}
return

:*b0:§u:: ;x<
Send !+§
Send {Home}{NumpadSub}{NumpadAdd}{Down}{Down}{Down}
Send !a!c
return

Maybe this is because the JW routine collapses all the functions before accessing the wanted one and this takes time. As I know that my sequences are the first on the list, it does not matter if some other functions are open, so I can go straight to the one I want and that saves time. Further down the list of sequences will of course take some more time but still not as much as 4 seconds. Maybe it is just here.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/19/2016 8:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, I'm sure your "pure AHK" thing's faster. The "sequence" solution on my system only takes about a second, though. I'm not sure why yours is slower.

It looks like without b0, the backspace characters erase the music--obviously not good!--but with it, the trigger characters are sent along to Finale--also not good! Any way around that?

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/19/2016 10:14:17 PM (GMT-6)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/19/2016 10:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If some AHK genius can tell me how to activate hotkeys/strings only when the selection tool is in use, that would be great. I tried

#IfWinActive, ahk_class Finale
StatusBarGetText statusbartext
#If InStr(statusbartext, "SELECTION TOOL")

but that doesn't seem to work

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/19/2016 9:25:18 PM (GMT-6)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/19/2016 10:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It occurred to me that openJWpluginwindow need not close all containers first, only enough to get to the one it wants. Also, no need to go back to the top afterwards and count down again. Instead, start at the top and collapse and move down, counting until the desired one is reached. I also changed it to allow negative container numbers, -1 being the last, -2 the next from the last, so you can start at the bottom if that's closer to the desired one.

So this should speed things up a bit. Attached below. I think that will be it for me!

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/19/2016 10:15:02 PM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
Finale-jwplugins3.ahk   4KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 397 time(s).

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 12/20/2016 2:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
motet said...
It looks like without b0, the backspace characters erase the music--obviously not good!--but with it, the trigger characters are sent along to Finale--also not good! Any way around that?

I don't have that problem except for sometimes when it seems that AHK "misses" the first letter of the hotstring (I use trigger key plus numbers to change editing filter, and sometimes I get the explode function instead). Are you using ?, * and b0?

I found this documentation quite comprehensive:

/autohotkey.com/docs/Hotstrings.htm

Maybe you will find something there.

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 12/20/2016 2:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
...and thanks for the latest update. That's a huge speed improvement!

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/20/2016 12:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the AHK documention pointer. I did eventually find that. I am using ?, * and b0. But if the hotstring trigger is `7, it sends ` and 7 to Finale anyway, and the latter transposes the music up a step. I can of course avoid 7, and most keystrokes are innocuous in the Selection tool, but it would be nice not to have to worry about it, and I'm kind of surprised Autohotkey doesn't have a way of not passing the keystrokes on (rather than cancelling them with backspaces).

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/20/2016 4:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I figured out how to have two-character triggers using the backquote character followed by any character I want (i.e., not transmitted to Finale), and how to restrict these triggers to Finale's selection tool. I'm just getting started, but `, creates a crescendo, `. a diminuendo, `7 adjusts the starting point for p, `8 for pp, and so forth. For the record, here's what I have so far. I decided to use JW Change sequences for all the endpoint adjustments, at least for now.

selection()
{
   StatusBarGetText statusbartext
   return InStr(statusbartext, "selection tool")
}
#If WinActive("ahk_class Finale") && selection()

`::
Input key,L1
if (key = "," || key = ".") {
    if (key = ",") {
        choice = 1
    } else {
        choice = 2
    }
    if (openJWpluginwindow("JW", "JW Pattern...", "JW Pattern", 3, 2, "Creates hairpin") = 1) {
        setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 1, choice)
        setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 2, "-148")
        setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 3, 1)
        setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 4, 0)
        setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 5, 1)
        setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 6, 7)
        applyandcloseJWpluginwindow("JW Pattern")
    }
} else {        ; sequences
    if (key = "4" || key = "7") {
        task = 1
        wait = p <>
    } else if (key = "3" || key = "8") {
        task = 2
        wait = pp <>
    } else if (key = "5" || key = "6") {
        task = 3
        wait = mp <>
    } else if (key = "2" || key = "9") {
        task = 4
        wait = ppp <>
    } else {
        task = 0
    }
    if (task && openJWpluginwindow("JW", "JW Change...", "JW Change", 1, task, wait)) {
    }
}
Return

The wait strings are things I put in my sequence descriptions.

This is going to be a huge boon to me, not only for hairpins, but for other oft-used JW plug-in tasks as well. At least I feel like I'm ending these forums on a high note, so to speak. Thanks to all.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/20/2016 5:21:11 PM (GMT-6)

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 12/20/2016 4:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think you qualify for AHK Genius :-)
That's really interesting. I won't pretend that I understand all the details, but would the first few lines work with other statusbartexts too, like for instance "chord tool"? I have a bunch of hotstrings for the chord tool that I now activate and deactivate with a toggle.

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 12/20/2016 4:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Motet,

Clever coding, but what if the Status Bar is turned off, i.e. "Windows->Status Bar" unchecked?

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 10586)

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB [Display adapter]
ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, Realtek HD Audio

Finale 2014.5.6359, Finale 25.2.0.92
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0
Sharpeye 2.68, PhotoScore Ultimate 7.0.2, SmartScore X2 Pro 10.5.8

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 12/20/2016 3:54:17 PM (GMT-6)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/20/2016 4:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It looks like the status bar text is still there and available to AHK even with "Windows->Status Bar" unchecked.

I don't see why a similar check for the chord tool wouldn't work.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 12/20/2016 5:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
It looks like the status bar text is still there and available to AHK even with "Windows->Status Bar" unchecked.
Interesting.  Good to know.  Makes your life easier! I had not gone so far as to try it.

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/20/2016 5:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I didn't actually try it with my stuff, but I looked with AHK's Window Spy.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 12/20/2016 5:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
`::
Input key,L1
if (key = "," || key = ".") {
    if (key = ","} {
        choice = 1
    } else {
        choice = 2
    }

I had an error message on the fourth line. Should it be
if (key = ",") {

Or am I missing something?

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/20/2016 6:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oops, yes, sorry. Never make a change without trying it! :-)

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 12/20/2016 6:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The section with the sequences work very smoothly (as fast as my old script!), but I don't get the hairpins right.

setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 1, choice)
setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 2, "-148")
setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 3, 1)
setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 4, 0)
setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 5, 1)
setJWpluginpanelvalue("JW Pattern", 6, 7)

The second field only shows up if Vertical Position, slot 6, is already set to 7. Mine was not set up like that, so there was no place to insert -148 to. Slot 2 goes to "Only copy to music".

Not a big deal of course. I guess one could just set JW Pattern hairpin setting manually, they won't change anyway, and just omit those fields from the script.

Post Edited (Harpsi) : 12/20/2016 5:46:19 PM (GMT-6)

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 12/20/2016 6:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
I don't see why a similar check for the chord tool wouldn't work.

And indeed it worked!

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/20/2016 7:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You of course may need to make adjustments for your own wishes. That -148 corresponds to my below-staff baseline--that is, it lines up with dynamics placed there. If there are low notes or stems, the dynamics are lower and so it must be aligned with TGTools' Alt-*. -148 was arrived at by trial and error; I'm not sure what Jari's units are.

You're probably right that filling in all those fields is unnecessary.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/20/2016 7:22:04 PM (GMT-6)

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 12/20/2016 7:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
I didn't actually try it with my stuff, but I looked with AHK's Window Spy.

I'd be interested in how you looked with Window Spy.  When I tried it, there was NEVER any text showing in the Status Bar Text area.  If the Status Bar was displayed, you could move the cursor into the Status Bar area on the screen and Window Spy would show the text in the "Control Under Mouse Position:" area, but if the Status Bar was not displayed, then obviously, you could not position the cursor in the Status Bar area.

Garritan GPO4.02

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/20/2016 7:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dunno. The Window Spy window is scrollable--are you looking at all its contents? Or maybe they've broken it with Finale 25.

--Just verified that the script still works with the status bar "window" unchecked.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/20/2016 7:23:00 PM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
0034.png
  177KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 209 time(s).

Harpsi
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 12/21/2016 2:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
That -148 corresponds to my below-staff baseline--that is, it lines up with dynamics placed there.

That I did understand. I just meant that if the hairpin's Vertical Position in JWPattern has been manually set to something else than Custom before running your script, there will be no field to insert the -148 to.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
closed.PNG
  9KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 329 time(s).