Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Quintuplet Entry  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Jack Helsley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jack HelsleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2012
Total Posts : 12

Posted 12/28/2016 6:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Apologies if this has been addressed: I'm trying enter a quintuplet: 5 quarters in the space of 4, beginning with a 1/2 note. When I try, it pushes extra beats into the next measure. I had a similar problem with quarter-note triplets mixed with eighths which was resolved by using a MIDI keyboard for entry, but that seems to have no effect here. Any insight? Thanks!

Finale 2014.5

File Attachment :
Tuplet.musx   97KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 434 time(s).

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 12/28/2016 6:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Here we go on another round with tuplets.  I use Simple Entry with the mouse.

In 4/4 time, click in a half note.  Press ALT/OPTION? 9 and choose 5 quarters in the space of 4 quarters.  Your tuplet will be formed with three quarter rests filling out the measure.  Simply click over the rests with quarter notes.

I will leave the several other techniques to others.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1607 build 14393

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB [Display adapter]
ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, Realtek HD Audio

Finale 2014.5.6359, Finale 25.2.0.92
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0
Sharpeye 2.68, PhotoScore Ultimate 7.0.2, SmartScore X2 Pro 10.5.8

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 12/28/2016 5:23:32 PM (GMT-6)

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 12/28/2016 6:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jack,

When you make a tuplet Finale assumes the first note you enter is what the tuplet is made up of, so when you enter a half note to begin it guesses wrong. Start with a quarter instead of a half, then after the other notes are entered change the first quarter to a half.

Bill

Finale 2014.5 (all versions since 1.0)
Finally made the move from my trusty 2011c
Staff Paper and #1 Blackwing Pencil with eraser
OS 10.9.4 on one, 10.10.5 on another

Jack Helsley
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jack HelsleyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2012

Posted 12/28/2016 6:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, thanks to both replies. That is in fact what I did, enter a quarter note 1st then change to a 1/2, but it is still pushing extra notes into the next bar?

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/28/2016 6:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Fill in all of the quarter notes, before you change the first pair to a half.

And sometimes, with complex tuplets, extra rests get stuck out at the end. Just delete them.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/28/2016 8:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Charles's way is the best with Simple entry--no need to change a quarter to a half or delete anything extra.

With Speedy entry, type Ctrl-1 and select 5 quarters in the space of 4. Then enter the half note and three quarter notes.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Jack Helsley
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2012

Posted 12/28/2016 9:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, yes Charles's way seemed to get rid of the weirdness.