Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Keyboard Maestro questions (semi-OT)  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Philip.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Philip.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 1466

Posted Today 12:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm in the process of transferring my Quickeys shortcuts to Keyboard Maestro. What is the correct way to select radio buttons and check boxes in KM? (for instance, in Finale's Edit Filter dialog)

Finale 2011c, 2012c, 2014d
Sibelius 6.2, 7.1.3, 7.5.1
Logic Pro X
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
OS X 10.9.5
32 GB RAM
www.nycmusicservices.com/

Philip.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Philip.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 12/20/2015 9:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I figured it out. You have to type the exact name of the item. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to select the button the way you can in QK.

Logic Pro X
OS X 10.9.5
32 GB RAM

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/20/2015 11:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Philip, have you done any testing of QuicKeys on El Capitan? Does it still work?

While I'm at it, how about Finale 2011 and 2012 on El Cap? Anything to report?

Thanks,
N.

OSX 10.8.5
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work
Finale 2014.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

(when the harp didn't play the 2nd chord):
“It's not that slow.”

–conductor Sixten Ehrling

Philip.
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 12/20/2015 1:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi N. It's funny you should asked. I upgraded to El Cap last weekend shortly after the latest OS update and it just wasn't working well for me. Too many things weren't working correctly and I didn't have time to troubleshoot them all. So I rolled back to Mavericks (using Time Machine). I'll try another update to El Cap eventually when things are quieter.

Perhaps others can report experiences regarding Finale 2011 and 2012 and El Cap.

That said, from what I have read, Quickeys seems to be fine on El Cap.

forums.startly.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5041#p12482

I'm slowly migrating shortcuts to KM since it seems that QK is almost abandonware and so far KM seems faster and less glitchy than QK.

Logic Pro X
OS X 10.9.5
32 GB RAM

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/20/2015 1:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, Philip.

Good old QuicKeys. "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking". The latest version of QK was released in 2009, and it still works on the latest OSX.

Just good design, I guess. Maybe Make Music and Apple should reach out to the guy who managed QK development. Or are they too far gone into the bloat?

N.

OSX 10.8.5
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work
Finale 2014.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

(when the harp didn't play the 2nd chord):
“It's not that slow.”

–conductor Sixten Ehrling

Philip.
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 12/20/2015 2:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It would be nice to see somebody pick it up.

Logic Pro X
OS X 10.9.5
32 GB RAM

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 12/21/2015 4:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
QuicKeys still works very well for me under El Capitan. Since 2014.5 sometimes still has the same window focus problems as 2014 did, QK will often seem not to work but that's Finale's problem. Just make sure the document window is foremost before invoking the macro.
I have no idea about 2011 but 2012 works well under the newest update to EC (10.11.2) with playback with HP selected being the only exception. That's easy to work around, though. One can still play back with HP set to none, with spacebar-click or, if one wants HP playback, by using the apply HP plugin.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014.5, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.11.1
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam

Jeremy Levy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Jeremy Levy's website.Send a Private Message to Jeremy LevyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 811

Posted 12/21/2015 10:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Philip,

I just spent the past week converting about 300 QK macros over to Keyboard Maestro. Seems you found the solution for pop-up menus, however inelegant it is. PM me if you have any other questions. I found the variable system a little more confusing than QKs, but almost everything is possible. I used a lot of macro groups to simulate sticky keys from QKs.

My experience has been that KM runs much quicker than Wks, in general. I'm pretty happy with the move. QKs was still working, but our team was having major longevity concerns, so we figured a little down time over the holidays was a good investment.

Jeremy Levy
Composer, Arranger, Orchestrator
Los Angeles, CA
www.jlevymusic.com
Finale 2011-2014.5
OSX 10.9.5

Philip.
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 12/22/2015 11:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, Jeremy. I appreciate the offer. I hope to complete the task next week and will let you know if I have any questions. I doubt my macros are as complex as yours! I have about 100, although many of them were routines I built years ago for one specific project or another, and I haven't used them since, so maybe I only have 50-75 I need to deal with.

Agreed, KM seems much faster, from what I've tried out so far.

Logic Pro X
OS X 10.9.5
32 GB RAM

SF
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SFAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 1555

Posted 12/23/2015 11:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Jeremy for the info. I'm still not ready to jump ship but it's good to know something is out there. Hard to believe a company has lasted this long on a dead programmer's code with no backup plan (sorry to be so blunt). I'll wait 'til the end :-)

Cheers!
SF

MPB 17" 3Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB, 10.6.8 and 10.11.1
Power Mac 2.8 Ghz Qual-Core Intel Xeon, 16GB, 10.6.8, 10.7.4, 10.8.5, 10.10.3, 11.11.1 (3) 27" Apple Displays, 23" Cinema, 20" Formac "Gallery
Finale 2.6.3-->2014.5d, Sib. 3.0-->7.5, Logic X, QuicKeys 4.0.7, DoubleCommand DoubleCommand, Mouse Locator Mouse Locator

SF
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SFAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 1555

Posted 12/23/2015 11:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
QUESTION: Can KM switch numerous apps during a macro and perform lots of tasks with logic functions and "waits" between?

Thanks,
SF

MPB 17" 3Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB, 10.6.8 and 10.11.1
Power Mac 2.8 Ghz Qual-Core Intel Xeon, 16GB, 10.6.8, 10.7.4, 10.8.5, 10.10.3, 11.11.1 (3) 27" Apple Displays, 23" Cinema, 20" Formac "Gallery
Finale 2.6.3-->2014.5d, Sib. 3.0-->7.5, Logic X, QuicKeys 4.0.7, DoubleCommand DoubleCommand, Mouse Locator Mouse Locator

Philip.
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 12/27/2015 4:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
SF said...
QUESTION: Can KM switch numerous apps during a macro and perform lots of tasks with logic functions and "waits" between?

Yes, it can do all of that, I believe. Here's a sample of a lot of the things you would do. (see screenshots)

I just finished migrating everything to KM. I'm happy. Farewell, QK, you served me well.

Logic Pro X
OS X 10.9.5
32 GB RAM

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 4.02.21 PM.png
  817KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 284 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 4.02.35 PM.png
  130KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 251 time(s).

tim
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to timAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000
Total Posts : 692

Posted 12/27/2015 9:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Phillip.
Just seconding what Jeremy was saying. We have now put quickeys to bed. While it would be good if KM could natively control drop downs and find buttons like QK's could, there are ways and they work well. I just orchestrated my first movie using it and all ran smoothly. It is actually easier to tweak and tune macros as you don't have to save them to run. I am still fine tuning a lot of the pauses. It seems to take a little longer for things to go through the clipboard and variables. Fractions of seconds, but you do have to allow for it with some pauses.

Tim

Finale 2011, OS X 10.7
www.debreved.com

Philip.
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 12/27/2015 10:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, Tim. I too am enjoying it so far. What is the best way you have found to control drop downs? I am telling KM to click at a location (e.g. 400x100) in the window, then having it type the menu item and hit the Return key.

Logic Pro X
OS X 10.9.5
32 GB RAM

tim
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to timAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000

Posted 12/27/2015 10:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That has been the best way. If it is a window that can change size and may have, I will include a step to size the window. There are a couple of older JW plugs that we can't work with properly yet, but for the newer ones and any finale ones we have had good luck. I have had to rethink some of my subscoping as KM does this differently with 'groups'. Have yet to program the printing ones, that look at the total number of pages and send some 2 up to one draw and single to another. The apple script to get and calculate the pages works, just have to do all the steps in KM. As it requires looping and jumping and I can't see how jumping works in KM, it will need some rethinking. Steps do not have numbers. I think it will have to be done with containers and loops or something.

Tim

Finale 2011, OS X 10.7
www.debreved.com

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 11.32.25 AM.png
  484KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 265 time(s).

Philip.
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 12/27/2015 10:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Very helpful. You are much deeper in this than I am!

Incidentally if you ever need to count PDF pages and rename the file to include the number of pages, Name Mangler does a very good job of that. I usually print from PDF as opposed to from Finale. That coupled with Create Booklet works very well.

/manytricks.com/namemangler/
thekeptpromise.com/CreateBooklet/

Logic Pro X
OS X 10.9.5
32 GB RAM

Philip.
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2006

Posted 12/27/2015 10:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Regarding JW Change and JW Polyphony, do you run them in Macro-friendly mode?

Logic Pro X
OS X 10.9.5
32 GB RAM

tim
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2000

Posted 12/27/2015 11:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The ones that we can, we do. But not all of them have that mode yet. Can't remember off the top of my head which it is, maybe Jeremy can. I also use a bunch of the older single task ones, not the newer combined ones. Much easier if you are triggering from a macro.

Tim

Finale 2011, OS X 10.7
www.debreved.com

rpmseattle
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to rpmseattleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 419

Posted 12/31/2015 9:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tim, Philip, Jeremy and all - glad to have found this thread. I, too have been making good headway converting over my QK Finale shortcuts to KM.

One thing I'm having trouble creating is a conditional toggle for Finale's non standard dialog buttons. For instance, in Category Designer, I can set up an IF / THEN for the Fixed Size checkbox, telling it to ignore and not click if in a specific state, which works great because it is a standard UI object, but the little graphics that represent the font attributes are problematic. I'm using the "Move & Click @ Found Image" action to achieve this, which works, but it is *glacial* (needs time to search the screen real estate it appears). Looking into ways to narrow the search area and speed this up.

The other thing which KM doesn't handle like QK is Finale's version dating each new version in the Application menu. (example attached).

Interested in your thoughts.

~Robert

Finale 2014, 2012, 2011 | Mac Pro 8 Core Xeon | iMac | OSX
www.musicprep.com/makemusic
www.rpmseattle.com/of_note/category/finale/

Post Edited (rpmseattle) : 1/4/2016 11:13:34 AM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
EnharmonicSpelling.kmmacros   9KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 565 time(s).