Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Selecting individual notes in a measure to change noteheads  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Russk
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RusskAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 44

Posted 9/19/2015 6:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello all,

I know this is an easy one but I just can't seem to figure it out.. I would like to select one or several - but not all - notes in a measure to change the note head to an enharmonic for a violin part.. I can't seem to get the main tool to allow me to select anything except the entire measure which I don't want - in order to turn the "change" option in the utilities menu from gray to black...

How do I select and be able to change a single note or group of notes (to change the note head?)

MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch Mid 2014
OS X.9.5
Finale 2014d v5545

Thanks very much in advance,

RussK

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 9/19/2015 6:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In the Special Tools select the Note Shape Tool. When you click in a measure, handles appear on all note heads. Press shift and click on all the handles of the noteheads you want to change. Press return and choose the note head you want to use from the Symbol Selection dialog.

Reluctantly accepting Finale 2014, despite all its bugs and flaws. Because I have to, not because I want to.
Mac OS X 10.10.5.

Russk
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to RusskAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 9/19/2015 6:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
THANKS SO MUCH - Writer of Music... Works great!!! Who thought of all of this!?!?!

All the best,

RK

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 9/19/2015 8:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Another way.

If you don't already have the JW plug-ins, I would recommend getting at least "JW Change."  It will probably take care of this easily, but I'm not sure what you mean by an enharmonic.  Just use the Select Tool to select the notes you want to change the notehead on (partial measure select), and use "JW Change -> Noteheads -> Shape" then choose the appropriate notehead from the Note Shape dropdown.  JW provides a variety of notehead shapes.  If the notes to be changed are not consecutive, you can do the operation several times to get all the ones you need.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU with 6 dual core processors @ 3.50 GHz (12 threads)

32 GB RAM

Realtek High Definition on board audio
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU with 4GB ram

512 GB SSD system disk

Four 4TB and one 1TB internal SATA HD's
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center x64 Edition, (06.03.9600.00)
Finale versions: 2011b.r2, 2012c.r13, 2014d.v5030

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 9/20/2015 3:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Another possibility would be to use the TGTools harmonics plugin. There's an 'Easy Harmonics' plugin included with Finale and the TGTools Pro plugins give more options. This might be easier than using either Special Tools or the JW Change plugin.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014d, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.10.5
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam

Russk
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 9/20/2015 5:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Charles Lawrence, I downloaded JW Change and tried to put it in my Finale preferences folder under plug-ins - what it did was DISAPPEAR and remove and entire menu item that included all the default plugins - I now cannot "Check Range" because it's GONE!!! I can't work in a big band chart right now and have no direction to figure this out. I quit finale and restarted.. Still no menu item.. I'm missing a LOT here. Any help is appreciated except to download JW Change!!!

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 9/20/2015 10:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Russk,

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.  I am on Windows, so Mac specifics as to loading the JW suite of plug-ins on a Mac will have to be addressed by a Mac user who has installed the suite, of which there are many.  Did you follow the Mac instructions on the top of the download page?  http://finaletips.nu/index.php/download/category/10-plug-ins-for-mac

I can assure you that there is no problem with the plug-in.  It does have these prerequisites:  For Finale 2010 and later. Requires OS X version 10.7 or later.

If all else fails, send an email to JW and he can set you straight.  Look up Jari Williamsson in the Members List to get his email address.

BTW:  There is a "Hollow Diamond (Harmonics)" notehead in the dropdown, if that is what you are referring to.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5930K CPU with 6 dual core processors @ 3.50 GHz (12 threads)

32 GB RAM

Realtek High Definition on board audio
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 GPU with 4GB ram

512 GB SSD system disk

Four 4TB and one 1TB internal SATA HD's
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional with Media Center x64 Edition, (06.03.9600.00)
Finale versions: 2011b.r2, 2012c.r13, 2014d.v5030

GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 9/20/2015 10:48:39 AM (GMT-5)

Russk
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 9/20/2015 12:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Charles,

I have been able to correct the problem through others on the Forum.. It's a matter of WHERE you place the plug-ins folder and I went to the wrong place. After proper direction and a reboot of my MAC finale, it restored itself and all is as it should be.

Thanks again for your concern... Best, RK

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 9/20/2015 5:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Did you try the TGTools Easy Harmonics plugin?

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2014d, Sibelius 4 - 7
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 6 plugin
MacOS 10.10.5
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB

Amsterdam

Russk
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2009

Posted 9/20/2015 5:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Vaughan, I started a new thread called " I've lost my default plug-ins!" Those folks helped me restore my plug-ins and learn where they actually are on my MBP.

Above on this thread "In the Special Tools select the Note Shape Tool. When you click in a measure, handles appear on all note heads. Press shift and click on all the handles of the noteheads you want to change. Press return and choose the note head you want to use from the Symbol Selection dialog."

This worked exactly as I had hoped. The TG Tools Easy Harmonics plugin is a little difficult. It asks you to select 3rds and 4ths.. In my case I was looking for octaves and fifths.. I resolved my situation and learned from all of this.. This for your input as well!!!

Best,

RK

arfo
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to arfoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 78

Posted 10/13/2015 1:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Russk said...
Hello all,
.... I would like to select one or several - but not all - notes in a measure to change.
How do I select and be able to change a single note or group of notes (to change the note head?)

I would like doing the same but even with notes that are distant (see B in the attached picture)

thanx

arfo

Mac Mini Late 2012, 2,6 GHz Intel Core I7, RAM 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3, OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks), Cubase 7.5, Sibelius 6.2, Finale 2014, East West Symphonic Orchestra Gold; Play Software v. 4,2.2, East West DarkSide, NI Absynth 5.01, NI Battery 4, Izotope Ozone 6;

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
note values and selection.png
  41KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 186 time(s).

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 10/13/2015 2:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No, you can only select notes that are right next to each other.

However, JW Change gives you a lot of options in the filter, that might work out for you.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014d, on Yosemite 10.10.4
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Post Edited (Mike Rosen) : 10/13/2015 2:03:56 PM (GMT-5)

arfo
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to arfoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2008
Total Posts : 78

Posted 10/13/2015 3:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you Mike :-)

arfo

Mac Mini Late 2012, 2,6 GHz Intel Core I7, RAM 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3, OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks), Cubase 7.5, Sibelius 6.2, Finale 2014, East West Symphonic Orchestra Gold; Play Software v. 4,2.2, East West DarkSide, NI Absynth 5.01, NI Battery 4, Izotope Ozone 6;