Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > How I work with triplets of all sorts.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Ed Cupman
Registered Member

Click to send Ed Cupman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ed CupmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2003
Total Posts : 97

Posted 12/29/2016 12:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I used to be driven crazy trying to remember how to enter strange triplet configurations until I finally just made a Finale file of all the triplet configurations I could think of and whenever I need one I just open this file and cut and paste it into my new document and go from there. If anyone wants this file, here it is. And if anyone has any triplet configurations that they would like to add, do so.

Finale 25.1
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
OS Sierra 10.12.1

File Attachment :
Triplets.musx   102KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 525 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/29/2016 12:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since tuplets are easy for me, I would find it more cumbersome to copy from another file. However, it certainly might be useful for some.

Bar 21 seems to have an error. You have defined a 5 group of 16ths, but each group has 6 16ths. Also, bars 9 and 10 don't seem to be correct. I'm not sure of the intention. In bar 9, if the first 3 notes are a triplet, then they should be bracketed to distinguish the triplet from the next 2 16ths. Maybe we need some clarification.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/29/2016 1:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I recommend really learning and understanding either Simple entry's Alt+9 method or Speedy entry's Ctrl+n commands and forgetting all the various advice I've seen around here of entering the wrong note values and later editing, invoking the separate Tuplet tool after the fact, turning off "check for extra notes", etc., etc. The tools are there and they work. Once learned, they should cover the vast majority of situations, and are in fact usually easier and faster than all those other things, including copying from another file.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/29/2016 1:20:07 PM (GMT-6)

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 12/29/2016 1:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree with Motet and Zuill.  It is best to learn the tools.  As a physicist, I learned the basic axioms and learned to derive what I needed rather than memorize formulae.  Same principle in play here.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1607 build 14393

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB [Display adapter]
ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, Realtek HD Audio

Finale 2014.5.6359, Finale 25.2.0.92
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0
Sharpeye 2.68, PhotoScore Ultimate 7.0.2, SmartScore X2 Pro 10.5.8

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/29/2016 1:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To add to that, make sure to understand the mathematics of tuplets. If that is not understood, it's hard to get any program to do that for you.

Zuill

P.S.: I fixed all the measures except 21. I am still not sure what is wanted there, as it looks like it should be a sextuplet, but it's defined as a quintuplet.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/29/2016 3:12:07 PM (GMT-6)

File Attachment :
Triplets Revised.musx   102KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 471 time(s).

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/29/2016 5:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Once I figured out the way the tools work, I have never had a problem, no matter how complex the tuplet, or what beat it's on.

So I side with Motet , Charles, and Zuill.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/29/2016 5:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And, if the tuplets are done incorrectly in the model file, copying them to another document will give the same incorrect result. Also, some things tend to not copy correctly between all files, especially if the tuplet is in the middle of a measure. Better to learn how to do them correctly and then you'll have them at your fingertips at all times.

Zuill

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 12/29/2016 8:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On a more advance layer, there are nested tuplets to consider.

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 12/30/2016 12:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Charles Lawrence said...
On a more advance layer, there are nested tuplets to consider.

That's surprisingly easy, too. Say you want three groups of 8th notes in a quarter note triplet. Speedy Entry.

Opt 3, enter first note with 5 (to define the enclosing quarter note triplet.)

Left-arrow back onto this note, hit opt-3 again, hit 4 (to make it an eighth note triplet).

Enter the next two notes. For the next triplet opt-3 again, enter 3 8ths, then opt-3 for the last group enter 3 8ths again and you're done!

I flip or drag up the enclosing triplet bracket manually afterwards.

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 12/30/2016 10:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Christopher,

Once you understand how the tools work, just about any tuplet imaginable can be "easily" created.

Here is an old thread from 2013 on how to create "complicated tuplets".  In it I present my methods of creating nested tuplets.  Scroll down the posts in the thread until you come to my long post.  In it, I give four methods, two using simple entry with a mouse, and two using speedy entry, no MIDI.  One method forms the outside tuplet first, then the inside tuplet.  The second method does the opposite, forming the inside tuplet first, then the outside tuplet.

Hope you find this study of interest.

Oops!  I forgot to enter the link.  http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&p=1&m=391894

Garritan GPO4.02

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 12/30/2016 9:36:11 AM (GMT-6)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/30/2016 1:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wow. Reading that thread took me back. Amazing what a wealth of knowledge is saved on this forum. A shame it will be locked. At least we can link to it from the other forum (finaleforum.com), as it will save repeating oodles of workarounds and procedures. Too bad MM has a different opinion of the whole thing. I have a sinking feeling that locking this forum is only a first step. I am guessing soon they will totally annihilate it. That will truly be a sad day. Onward and ........

Zuill