Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Beaming over rests  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

pjbishop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to pjbishopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 17

Posted 3/29/2002 4:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I need to beam a group of three 16th notes which are separated by 16th rests. The pattern is this:

rest note1 rest note2 rest note3

The primary and secondary beams need to extend from note1 to note3 over the two inner rests. Attached is a short .mus example.

I also need to do the converse (note1 rest note2 rest note3 rest).

In the first case, I can't beam across the inner rests. The slash key has no effect. I set the two extension options in the beaming options dialogue and I get short beams attached to the individual notes but not beamed across to the next note.

Interestingly, in the second case, if I set the "extend secondary beams over rests" option, I can beam across the rests and produce the result I want.

Does anyone know what I have to do to get the beams to work in case #1 the way that they work in case #2?

Thanks,
Paula Bishop

pjbishop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to pjbishopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 3/29/2002 4:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And I should have said I'm using Finale 2002b.r2 on Windows.

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 3/29/2002 4:15 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Paula:

Well, what I did was select the first system with Mass Mover and went to Mass Mover> Rebeam> Rebeam to Time Signature... and selected 6/8.

Cheers.

Gary

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 3/29/2002 6:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Also, when you set your time signature, make sure that you select the 6/8 meter that shows two dotted quarter notes, not six individual eighth notes. That's the reason your example is beamed as it is. Changing the meter to the "correct" 6/8 and going to Mass Mover, ctrl-A, Mass Mover> Rebeam> Rebeam Music solved the whole thing.

(I should have thought of this earlier, but I was on my way out the door. Then, as I was stopped at a red light, I heard a piece in 6/8 time and had an epiphany...)

pjbishop
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 3/30/2002 7:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you very much! I had to go back and make sure that the entire piece was in 2 dotted quarters then rebeam those measures in 6/8 (2 dotted quarters). Choosing the 2 dotted quarter from rebeam was a little confusing.

Setting the time sig. to 2 dotted quarters also explained why I was constantly having to beam manually.

I will definitely write this one down in my "How to really use Finale" notes.

Thanks,
Paula

Jari Williamsson
Registered Member

Click to send Jari Williamsson email.Click to visit Jari Williamsson's website.Send a Private Message to Jari WilliamssonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 3246

Posted 3/30/2002 8:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tip: If you select 6/8 from the contextual menu for the Time Sig Tool, you automatically get the dotted quarter note version. (And same with 3/8.)

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

pjbishop
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 3/30/2002 10:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually, I get 6 eighths rather than 2 dotted quarters. Wonder why.

Paula Bishop

duser
Registered Member

Click to send duser email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to duserAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 929

Posted 3/30/2002 12:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
By contextual menu, Jari means the mini-menu that you get if you select the Time Signature Tool, then right-click in a measure. Does that give you six individually flagged eighths?

pjbishop
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 3/31/2002 12:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I tried the right click and initially got 6 eighths. Then I went back to the beginning of the piece and got 2 dotted quarters. After some poking around I discovered that after the point where I had to split a measure into two measures with a double bar (5 eighths in one and 1 eighth in the other), the time signature from there on was 6 eighths, even though I had set the entire piece to 2 dotted quarters.

Mystery solved.