Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > attacca vs. ending measures  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

winknotes
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to winknotesAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 418

Posted 12/28/2016 3:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm working on a suite that consists of 3 "movements" and one could optionally end the second movement or play it standalone, or go straight into the last movement. Here's a picture of how it's currently notated based on some other publications, but I've also seen where the optional ending measure has a black background and noteheads and lines are white. Is there a way to do that in Finale?

Steve Winkler

Finale 2009c, 2011b, 2012c
GPO, GPO4, JABB3, VSL SE/SE+
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/28/2016 6:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was going to say no, but...

I entered the notes, and took a screenshot of the area. Using Preview on the Mac, I inverted the colors, and pasted it back in as a graphic.

It's certainly not perfect, but I think it's cool! I suspect that people smarter than me will come up with a better way.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
inverted.png
  100KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 692 time(s).

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/28/2016 7:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've never seen that, nor would I want to. The way it's usually done is by using ending brackets, with appropriate labels. You have to use a Staff Style to hide the repeat barlines and use the Repeat Tool to disable playback for them.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

Post Edited (N. Grossingink) : 12/28/2016 7:01:17 PM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Endings.png
  158KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 700 time(s).

winknotes
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to winknotesAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005

Posted 12/28/2016 10:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok thank you both. You're probably right N. Grossingink that it's not proper but I have seen it on occasion.

Steve Winkler

Finale 2009c, 2011b, 2012c, 25.2

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 12/28/2016 11:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
By the way, it's "separate," not "seperate." Think "ar."

Finale 25.2

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

winknotes
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2005

Posted 12/29/2016 7:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ah thank you Ron. I guess it's true that it's difficult to proofread one's own work.

Steve Winkler

Finale 2009c, 2011b, 2012c, 25.2

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 12/29/2016 2:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've just used a cut symbol in the few instances I've encountered the situation.

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25.1 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum, Dorico)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/29/2016 3:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would do what N. does, but I would put the "End" ending first.

The opera Hansel and Gretel has options to end Act I for an intermission or to segue into the entr'acte to join the first two acts. The publisher handles this thus:

If you look on IMSLP, though, you'll see someone went to the trouble to white-out the ending they weren't using, so it's perhaps not optimal. I would use the above layout, but make "A" and "B" endings.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Post Edited (Motet) : 12/29/2016 2:55:30 PM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
scan0002.png
  73KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 1315 time(s).