Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Ancient Music Printer Plus files & program  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

soykaviolin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit soykaviolin's website.Send a Private Message to soykaviolinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2009
Total Posts : 44

Posted 5/19/2013 12:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've run across hundreds of .mp1 files that I created back in the 90's, and would really like to import them (or the midi files from them) into Finale and make use of them. Problem is, I need to install and run the original Music Printer Plus program (which I have) and create midi files from them. My Windows 7 OS won't open it in the DOS shell - guess it can't find the proper driver - and I've been all over the web looking for answers. Everyone seems to just say that MPP went under back in 1995 and never made a windows version.

I know this is a long-shot, but was wondering if there's a plug-in in Finale that can read/import .mp1 files. Otherwise it's a shame, a lot of work went into creating these files (tho long ago), and it would be fun to resurrect them!

I'd be happy to upload a sample file or two if anyone's interested.

Thanks for any help on this! - Jane

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Reed email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill ReedAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1203

Posted 5/19/2013 12:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Some flavors of Win7 allow you to install a virtual machine, so if you still have MS DOS installation disks, you could create a DOS system and install MPP on that.

Finale 2011b, Notion 4, Overture 4, Sonar X2

Win8 x64, 32GB RAM

M-Audio ProFire 2626

Kontakt, VSL, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choir and Pianos

soykaviolin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit soykaviolin's website.Send a Private Message to soykaviolinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 5/19/2013 1:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the info Bill. I'm looking into this now.

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Click to send Bill Reed email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill ReedAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 5/19/2013 3:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Jane,

I started with MPP too. I believe that Temporal Acuity evolved into what is now Notion Music, another notation software company. I don't know if they can be of any help, but it might be worth a try.

Win8 x64, 32GB RAM

M-Audio ProFire 2626

soykaviolin
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 5/19/2013 4:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks! I got on the Notion site, there's no mention of MPP. In the mean time I've installed the Windows Virtual PC and am trying to figure out how to launch it. I assume I'm just opening up a Windows XP OS that might communicate with the MPP program thru its DOS shell. Once I do that I'll let you know if I was successful. Altho to be honest, I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to tweeking PC operations. Thing's have just gotten way beyond me anymore! In fact, I don't know if I can remember how to work MPP thru DOS shell, it's been so long. I do have the original owners manuals, and I know you have to define MIDI and sound devices and stuff. It'll be a walk down (long-term) memory lane!

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 5/20/2013 12:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Alas, there is no converter from Music Printer Plus to MusicXML files, which would enable Finale to read these files. You either need to use MIDI files, scan the printed output, or manually reenter the music. If you have the printed output from the MP1 files, scanning those in might be the best bet compared to trying to get MPP to run on a virtual machine.

You can't even use PDFtoMusic Pro with PDFs created from MPP, because those PDF files are image files rather than graphic files. Notion never was able to read MPP files, despite both programs having a common software architect.

Michael Good
Director of Digital Sheet Music
MakeMusic, Inc.

soykaviolin
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 5/20/2013 1:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Michael. Yes I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to get my Virtual PC to run in a DOS shell. And if memory serves, even if I do get the program to launch, it requires input of midi interface, which won't recognize any of the newer midi cards. But I'm still not giving up. I'll be looking into "DOS-BOX" - some app my brother has told me about. We'll see.

Unfortunately, I didn't create midi files out of very many of these .mp1 files. With the ones that have accompanying midi files I'm able to open them in Finale and they come out just fine. I'm a violin teacher, and have done lots of arranging and composing for my teaching. Mostly just needed printed sheet music. At the time, this program was pretty slick for my purposes. And now with Finale and Smart Music I'm really able to do some cool things with my teaching.

To tell you the truth, I think I went thru this rigamarole about ten years ago, with no success. So that would be even with Windows XP. I think the last OS I was able to use MPP in was Windows 2000. (Ah, the good ol' days!) I just was hoping by now someone would have addressed and solved this issue. Ironically, when I google the file extension .mp1 all that comes up is antivirus software!

Jane Soyka
Soyka Studios

Bill Reed
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2001

Posted 5/20/2013 1:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
With the virtual machine, you should be able to install plain old DOS, if you have the disks. XP is just a ready made installation, but you can setup a VM with any OS, like Linux, UNIX, etc.

If you're just saving as MIDI files, you don't need input from a current MIDI device...

Also, if you google Music Printer Plus, you find various threads about people trying to do just what you are.

Win8 x64, 32GB RAM

M-Audio ProFire 2626

soykaviolin
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 5/20/2013 5:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the tip Bill. Yes, duh, don't need a midi device. And I've found stuff on the web about MPP dating back to around 2000-06. Not much later than that.

about installing plain old DOS, I may be able to dig up the old floppies; in fact I think they might be in with the old MPP file floppies I got.

Thanks again!

Jane

Michael Ducharme
Registered Member

Click to send Michael Ducharme email.Click to visit Michael Ducharme's website.Send a Private Message to Michael DucharmeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2007
Total Posts : 365

Posted 5/21/2013 9:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
DOSBox should work just fine. I have used it for running old DOS apps. A virtual machine would work too, but is much more complicated, and then you need some kind of installation discs to install DOS itself into the virtual machine.

soykaviolin
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2009

Posted 5/28/2013 1:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just want to thank all who responded to this thread. I was successful installing DosBox, and am able to open up Music Printer Plus now. Fortunately, I've saved all the documentation and manuals, so it's been a walk down (512k) memory lane! The midi file transfer is a bit hit and miss, but I'm enjoying the process. And I have literally hundreds of .mp1 files to work with and convert to 21st century format. If anyone else has a problem along the lines of obsolete MPP files and how to resurrect them, I'd be happy to help. I'm now the DOS Queen of Music Notation!

Jane Soyka
Soyka Studios

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 5/29/2013 3:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Great to hear the DosBox is working for this! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Michael Good
Director of Digital Sheet Music
MakeMusic, Inc.