Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale for Linux??  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

gigab
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to gigabAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 4

Posted 7/16/2004 6:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is there any Finale's version for Linux?
Is a new version for Linux in preparation?

Thanks.
Gigab

Martin Williams
Registered Member

Click to send Martin Williams email.Click to visit Martin Williams's website.Send a Private Message to Martin WilliamsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 122

Posted 7/16/2004 6:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would be very suprised if there was!

Jerry Herman for president!

William Martin Music Preparation (London, UK)

---------------

Finale 2003b, Windows XP, TGTools 2.26d

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 7/16/2004 1:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
gigab said...
Is there any Finale's version for Linux?
Is a new version for Linux in preparation?

Thanks.
Gigab
Why? Did you have a particular flavour of Linux in mind?

I'd vote for you for president, Jerry, if I could. :-)

Ron

Finale 2004b, XP Pro // P4, 2.6 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, SB Audigy
Amateur composer of both sacred and secular music.

"If you don't do it during this lifetime, then when are you going to do it?"

housemoron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to housemoronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 224

Posted 7/16/2004 1:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I suspect that Finale may run, although probably not very fast, in some of the Windows emulators that are available for Linux. But there isn't a version of Finale that's been specifically written for Linux.

gigab
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to gigabAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 7/16/2004 1:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok Thanks. But in order to run Finale whith Linux, I must have an emulator. But I must install Linux, the emulator AND Windows. I don't want this.

Is it possible that yhe finale's producer make a Linux version?

Pete Sawchuk
This Spacebar For Rent

Click to send Pete Sawchuk email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Pete SawchukAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 670

Posted 7/16/2004 2:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
gigab,

Don't hold your breath. With all the fixes & improvements still needed in the Mac & Windows versions, I don't think (m)any of us would like to see MakeMusic devote company resources to a Linux port.

Pete Sawchuk
Finale 2004c, Mac OSX 10.3.4
PowerMac G4 Dual 867Mhz w/ 1 Gb RAM, 23" Apple Cinema Display
PowerBook G4 12" 867Mhz w/ 256Mb RAM
Edirol PCR-30 Keyboard Controller w/ built-in USB interface

Martin Williams
Registered Member

Click to send Martin Williams email.Click to visit Martin Williams's website.Send a Private Message to Martin WilliamsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 122

Posted 7/16/2004 3:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I agree completly, let's lose the bugs in Windows and Mac first!

Jerry Herman for president!

William Martin Music Preparation (London, UK)

---------------

Finale 2003b, Windows XP, TGTools 2.26d

ChipB
Registered Member

Click to send ChipB email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ChipBAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 120

Posted 7/18/2004 2:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I could be wrong, but I didn't think you needed the Windows OS to run a Windows application under a Linux-Windows emulater (i.e. WINE). But I've never tried it.

Chip

habibbijan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit habibbijan's website.Send a Private Message to habibbijanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003
Total Posts : 218

Posted 7/18/2004 3:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've run Finale 2003 in WINE under Linux. Yes, it ran, but not well. It crashed every few minutes, and the fonts looked rather...unusual.

A more viable option, if you are in a networked environment with access to a Windows XP machine, is to fun Finale remotely through an application like rdesktop for Linux. Sound complicated? Picture this:

My fiancee runs Windows XP. I run Linux, but I want to use Finale. So...I set up a user for myself on her machine with administrator privileges, then I enable 'remote desktop sharing' on her machine. Now I run rdesktop on my Linux machine to connect to her machine with my username. Boom. Now I'm running Finale over the network in full screen WITH sound redirection while she's typing a paper on her machine. The best part is that it doesn't even interrupt her work. She doesn't even know I'm there.

Think of it as an application server. I still wish that Makemusic, or Sibelius, or anyone would create a decent notation program for Linux. It doesn't have to be free. It just has to be available. That's the biggest 'Catch 22' with Linux. Most people don't use it because there are no major applications for it, and most big companies don't write major applications for Linux because so few people use it. *Sigh*

Brian Bondari
www.habibbijan.com
"Writing music with theory in mind is like wearing underwear that's too tight. It's restricting!"

Scott Amort
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 111

Posted 7/23/2004 12:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
habibbijan said...
I still wish that Makemusic, or Sibelius, or anyone would create a decent notation program for Linux.

You should check out Lilypond:

lilypond.org/web/

It's a text-based system, like Score, so it may be off-putting to users accustomed to a GUI, but its default output is certainly on par with the best notation programs available for Windows/Mac.

Best,
Scott

Greator_SST
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Greator_SSTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 191

Posted 7/23/2004 1:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
...oh my lord, and people complain about how hard Finale is to use :) Wouldn't it be easier to compose with ink and paper?

Interesting link though, a good read It sure gives an appreciation for what goes into a notation product. And add onto the brute task of simply outputting the notes (which is what lilypond is), you have the user interface to design and debug AUGHHH!  Click on documentation to see how to enter notes.  It's pretty amazing.

:)

http://www.composeforums.com/
...where composers learn and share

habibbijan
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit habibbijan's website.Send a Private Message to habibbijanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 7/24/2004 1:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the link. Yes, I've taken a look at Lilypond, and while I'm sure it makes nice-looking scores, I can't let the lack of a GUI get in the way when I'm evoking the Muse. Plus, i've become quite accustomed to such luxuries as the Mass Edit tool. :-)

The following is a letter that I recently composed to MakeMusic. I realize that I'm in even more of a minority than Mac users on this issue, but I strongly believe that Linux will one day have a firm foothold in the OS sector with a sizable market share. MakeMusic should not ignore this.
------------------------------
Dear MakeMusic,

First, allow me to say that I've been a satisfied Finale user since the introduction of Finale 2002. I've enjoyed using your product on both the Windows and Macintosh platforms.

My purpose in writing to you is to urge you to consider releasing Finale for the Linux operating system. As you know, Linux users are only a small percentage of computer users, but our numbers are growing exponentially as Linux becomes more powerful and easy to use. Many businesses and governmental agencies are turning to Linux, and as Linux makes its way through the business world, many users are likely to adopt it at home as well.

Perhaps you say that Linux users comprise too little of the overall base of computer users to bother supporting? I know this is not true, because if it were, you would not bother to support the Macintosh platform. Believe me when I say that I am not alone in the desire to see Finale on Linux. Many of my university colleagues would have an interest as well.

Perhaps you say that Linux is too much of a "geek" operating system, and support would be a nightmare? If this is the case, then release it with basic installation support and create an online forum where users can help each other, just like they do with Windows and Macintosh problems. Yes, Linux is currently considered a "geek" OS, but the Linux community does an outstanding job of creating their own documentation and helping one another.

Perhaps you say that you have no demand for Linux support? In that case, consider this the beginning of the demand!

Thank you for your time, and for your consideration,

Brian Bondari
The University of Kansas

Brian Bondari
www.habibbijan.com
"Writing music with theory in mind is like wearing underwear that's too tight. It's restricting!"

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 7/24/2004 2:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Although Macintosh only has something like 4% of the overall market, that percentage is much higher among the professional musician and artist communities, not to mention educational institutions. There is a lot more demand for Mac Finale than Linux Finale.

But the future is always open for change, and I can think of one company that dwarfs Microsoft that has shown interest in making Linux topple Windows. And Windows has some rough trials ahead in the next couple of years. So if one day the demand for a Linux Finale justifies the cost of development, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

Windows XP, all updates

tony lowe
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to tony loweAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 1

Posted 8/16/2004 3:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well then, as there is no support for a Linux version, and some of us no longer run Microsoft or Apple software on our computers, I can't really be accused of spamming.

www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=7719

here is a brief review of three GUI interfaces for Lilypond.

Post Edited (tony lowe) : 8/16/2004 8:42:49 PM GMT

oldman
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to oldmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004
Total Posts : 26

Posted 8/20/2004 5:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
THanx for the post and the walk down memory lane - Looking at lilypond and the GUI's reminds me of my struggles with ScorePC some 15 years ago,.

In the end programs like lilypond just take too much time to use and really just get in the way. I'ts easier and cheaper to get a windows system (or a Mac system if you really WANT a unix clone system) and just get on with music making.

BQ
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BQAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2004

Posted 8/24/2004 3:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A few words in favor of Lilypond: in my experience, after you dive into the Lilypond, inputing music is much faster than in Finale, and there are far less bugs. Also, Lilypond-book script gives you incredibly powerfool tools to create documents that combine a lot of text with musical excerpts, and output them as PDF or HTML.

As an example: I convinced a friend to try using Lilypond for writing a book of technical exercises for cello. As a complete beginner with computers, she then produced about 150 pages in one month. Most were simple one-line exercises, but output she got looks very professional and nicely combined with text. Before that, she was trying out the possibilities of engraving each exercise with Finale or Sibelius and then exporting them to a word processor, but it seemed extremely time consuming, inputing corrections was clumsy and the output quality poor.

So I strongly disagree with this opinion:
oldman said...
In the end programs like lilypond just take too much time to use and really just get in the way. I'ts easier and cheaper to get a windows system (or a Mac system if you really WANT a unix clone system) and just get on with music making.
But it's true while Lilypond can only be used for engraving the music one already has written, Finale has many other possible uses...

However, in LINUX there is also a cool sequencer called Rosegarden that can be used in connection with Lilypond, but I haven't tried that out thoroughly. I don't actually feel the need for graphical input of music anymore.

Post Edited (BQ) : 8/24/2004 8:43:30 PM GMT

kscott121
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to kscott121AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2005

Posted 2/12/2005 2:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would offer a late comment to this thread but one which I hope is somewhat useful.

I was able today to install Finale Notepad 2004 successfully onto my Linux box (running MEPIS - a Debian distribution). I am using Crossover version 4.1-standard as the windows emulator (Crosssover is a commercial version of the Open Source windows emulator WINE). This particular machine does not have Windows on it at all. The fonts and notations are correct and the songs play correctly (using the OSS sound drivers ).
Previously I had installed the versions of Notepad and Crossover onto a Red Hat 9 system and while the notation was correct , the songs would not play at all (due to some MIDI error).

Interestingly , I also have Finale Notepad Plus 2005 and it will not even install into this MEPIS-Linux environment. I have no version of the full Finale to test.
Cheers and good luck!
Ken

David Young : chambermusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David Young : chambermusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2000
Total Posts : 2694

Posted 2/12/2005 8:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One of the "official" requests that I sent by triplicate mail to MakeMusic in October was to write Finale for Linux. Granted, they may not do it, but they know the rational and the fact that many are requesting it. It would be a "feather in their cap" if they can beat their competition to it.

David

David Young

Composer of classical-romantic style chamber and orchestral music.

Finale 2.4 through 2005, GPO studio
laptop PC, windows XP home, 2.4 ghz, 516 Megs RAM
Desktop PC, Gigastudio 3, 2 Gigs RAM, 3 hard drives

Join us at www.composeforums.com for discussion of music composition,
arranging and orchestration!

habibbijan
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2003

Posted 2/14/2005 6:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you David. I like your attitude and approach. At times I feel like a voice in the wilderness on this issue, but I would really like to see more major software companies take Linux a little more seriously. The "feather in their cap" is a nice way to put it.

Brian Bondari
www.habibbijan.com
Constantly campaigning for Finale on Linux....

marward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to marwardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 4/16/2005 2:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey.... Finale really does work on Linux.
All I did was install it using WINE on Fedora Core 3... seems to work fine. (I had to copy a few DLL files, but hey!)
One small point though is that Finale insists on using the SmartMusic Synth.
The speed is virtually the same as the speed on my windows XP PC.
For my proof, see the screenshot. :-)
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
finaleonlinux.jpg
  154KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 1334 time(s).

Benjamin Tubb
Registered Member

Click to send Benjamin Tubb email.Click to visit Benjamin Tubb's website.Send a Private Message to Benjamin TubbAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2000
Total Posts : 903

Posted 4/16/2005 6:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As to old non-GUI music programs, I used to use the Orchestra-90 music language back in 1983 on a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model III. "Orch" was a very efficient upper case only text language used to compile playback performances of upto five voices through two 8-bit DACs using additive synthesis from instruments defined by their first eight harmonics/partials. Later, supported by the Radio Shack CoCo 1/2/3, and lastly converted to "PC-Orch" which supported MIDI output, and even special support for the Yamaha FB-01 synth (for "partial" additive synthesis effects).

The point I'm making with all of this, is that if your music's worth doing, then you have to adapt to anyway you have that's available for doing it <g>! No notation was even supported by the program. I "waited" for my first exposure to such notation programs like "Deluxe Music Construction Set" and "The Copyist" to better appreciate the GUI convenience and playback support -- way before starting with PC Finale 3.0 and _really_ appreciating the convenience. Any non-GUI notation program available now is, IMHO, not worth considering for efficient and productive use of someone's time.

Benjamin Tubb, Finale Engraver
WinF2K5b with Windows XP Pro
Webmaster of Public Domain Music (www.pdmusic.org)
Editor and Compiler of
"Henry Clay Work: Complete Songs and Choruses"
(Kallisti Music Press, 2002)

Scott Amort
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 111

Posted 4/16/2005 11:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Benjamin Tubb said...
Any non-GUI notation program available now is, IMHO, not worth considering for efficient and productive use of someone's time.

For an interesting read on this subject, check out Jef Raskin's site - rchi.raskincenter.org/aboutrchi/index.php. He was one of the original Macintosh creators, and recently wrote a book titled 'The Humane Interface', outlining his thoughts on human-computer interaction. His basic argument is that the GUI as we know it is, in fact, extremely inefficient. Here is a quote for the webpage:

Raskin Centre webpage said...
For two decades now, the graphical user interface -- or "GUI" (pronounced "GOO-ey") -- has been the de facto standard for human-computer interaction. But researchers have known for a long time that GUIs are inherently flawed. Nevertheless, this gooey environment has reigned supreme for so long that we've come to accept it as normal and necessary. Up until now we've had no choice.

I can't say that I've tried his alternative (which is still in a very alpha state), but it is an intriguing discussion.

Best,
Scott