Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Accidentals/Click Assign/Lyrics/Part Names/Merging  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

JBeaucaire
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit JBeaucaire's website.Send a Private Message to JBeaucaireAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2002
Total Posts : 9

Posted 6/6/2002 11:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi all,

I'm still getting my feet wet, only done about 10 orchestration with Finale, finding new stuff all the time, especially reading through the forum posts.

Here's my short list of problems, can you offer any suggestions for dealing with them most efficiently?

1) Accidentals in layers overlap each other

Any way to change my templates to at least "try" to deal with this issue up front...manual adjustment is a killer on this one.

2) Click assignment for chorus and section entries

I can put any amount of lyrics I want into an infinite number VERSES, but I have not found a way to access the text I put into Section or Chorus and then assign it using Click Assignment.

3) Using Mass Mover on a staff with on it lyrics moves lyrics far out of sync (way down the page) and require manual correction, places lyrics into other verses...??

4a) Can't set global attributes on the placement of Extracted Part Names prior to extracting parts, must manually move Part Name on each Extracted part

On my parts, the name of the band is in the upper left corner of Pg. 1, the part name goes in the upper RIGHT corner of ALL pages of extracted part. I have to manually place the part name on page one 'cause it's always appearing over the top of my band name.

Not a biggie, but affects every part I do, so would love a solution that would extract the Pg. 1 part name to the correct position.

4b) Extract Parts dialog won't remember my settings...

In the GENERATE NAMES window on the right, it always recommends a name like:

D:\Church\Orchestrations\Rock\Rock - %n %s.MUS

I have to manually remove the %n EVERY TIME I extract a part, even if I do it over and over again on the same file. Arg! With so many options available for those macros, shouldn't this dialog box REMEMBER my preferences?

6) No simple way to merge documents into one, or even more critical, parts of songs together

Grabbing 20 measures of one score and pasting it or inserting it into another score (all my scores are identical staff-wise) result in messes, sometimes horribly so. Any tips here?

P.S. As a band writer(mini-orchestra, really) , I think I've got my templates pretty set now (except for the items noted above), so the question is: IS THERE ANYTHING IN FINALE'03 that will actually make spending more money now meaningful? I've only had it a couple of months, so having to buy an upgrade so fast is sort of saddening, but the "features list" doesn't seem to list anything critical... would love your advice.

Thanks Coda for a great product... glad you're committed to improving it.

Regards,

Jerry Beaucaire, Parkside Church

Matthew Hindson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Matthew HindsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 406

Posted 6/6/2002 12:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

>1) Accidentals in layers
>overlap each other

Ha! You mustn't have been reading the forums for the last few days! No, you have to adjust them manually, apparently.

(I can't wait until you ask about grace note spacing....)

>3) Using Mass Mover on a staff
>with on it lyrics moves lyrics
>far out of sync (way down the
>page) and require manual
>correction, places lyrics into
> different verses?

Yes, this is a baddy, and has been there forever.

I _never_ get Finale to copy lyrics, and in fact studiously try to avoid it as it inevitably results in misery. Apparently if you insert the music rather than paste it into the score, it'll be OK, though I can't confirm this.

You should also be warned if you haven't found out already that the copied lyrics will not be 'real' copies, but rather, aliases of the original. So if you change one of your copied lyrics, it will change the original one as well. There is no option in Finale to create 'real' copies - send an email to winsupport@codamusic.com if you would like this to be possible!

You can use TGTools full-version to reset all baselines on the different verses if you like so they're all on the one horizontal line.

>4b) Extract Parts dialog won't
>remember my settings...
>
>In the GENERATE NAMES window
>on the right, it always
>recommends a name like:
>
>D:\Church\Orchestrations\Rock\
>Rock - %n %s.MUS
>
>I have to manually remove the
>%n EVERY TIME I extract a
>part, even if I do it over and
>over again on the same file.
>Arg! With so many options
>available for those macros,
>shouldn't this dialog box
>REMEMBER my preferences?

That's a good idea!

>6) No simple way to merge
>documents into one, or even
>more critical, parts of songs
>together
>
>Grabbing 20 measures of one
>score and pasting it or
>inserting it into another
>score (all my scores are
>identical staff-wise) result
>in messes, sometimes horribly
>so. Any tips here?

Make sure that Select Partial Measures is switched off. Also make sure that you always insert rather than paste so that time signatures get copied too (assuming you've selected everything in the Entry Items and Measure Items dialog boxes). You will no doubt have to fix up all the measure-attached expressions in your new score as staff lists don't seem to be copied.

Good luck,

Matthew

TTBashore
Registered Member

Click to send TTBashore email.Click to visit TTBashore's website.Send a Private Message to TTBashoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 148

Posted 6/6/2002 12:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello Jerry,

1) Do a forum search on this one and you'll see this is a bit of a sore subject among Finale users. Sorry, but you're stuck with manual adjustments for now.

2) Have you tried Lyrics/Specify Current Lyric ...?

3) Um, I'm not sure about this one. One thing to realize is that MassMover doesn't really copy the lyrics, it mirrors them. A change in the lyrics in one place will then be reflected in the other spot as well. If you just want to copy music but not lyrics, you can specify what is copied under MassMover/Copy Entry Items and Copy Measure Items.

4a) Yeah, this is a bit of a problem since there's no staff name insert but easy to resolve. I create a dummy name ("part") on page 2 to the end of the piece on the score before I extract parts. When I extract the parts I use the Extract Parts/Page Options/Part Names to create the placement of the part name on page one, then edit the existing name ("part") on page two onward.

b) The %n will be replaced by the staff index # and the %s will be replaced by the staff name when you extract. I find this very helpful but if you don't simply select Prompt For Each Name.

6) This is more difficult that it really should be. One way to minimize messes is to make sure the destination score is exactly the same as the original in regard to staves, meter, and key signature. If you have note-attached expressions they will transfer but measure-attached expressions will not. Using TGTools/Modify/Expressions might help if this is a problem for you.

TTBashore
Registered Member

Click to send TTBashore email.Click to visit TTBashore's website.Send a Private Message to TTBashoreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 148

Posted 6/6/2002 12:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oops, Matthew I guess you beat me to it. :)