Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 25 printing off-center in landscape  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
37 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Nikk P.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2012
Total Posts : 77

Posted 9/15/2016 8:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yup - always have that checked off. Though, I've seen enough weirdness in this program that I'm going to go back and triple check.

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 25
Mac OSX 10.11.6
MacBook Pro (Mid-2012, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD)

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 9/16/2016 1:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
jim dukey said...
Did you check to use Finale's orientation instead of the printer's?
That's essential!

It's so essential that the control to alter it has been removed in 25. :p

Finale v.25, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

jim dukey
Registered Member

Click to send jim dukey email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jim dukeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1082

Posted 9/16/2016 3:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't understand.
It used to in Printing Preferences.
Now it's a check box in the Print Menu.
Check or un-check, isn't that altering it?

Molecular Computer, Powered by Fusion in a Jar. Finale 3000, Wireless ESP Module, No Physical Interface, Printed Parts Manifest by The Universe,
SOOOO Boring! Now Everybody is Friggin' Mozart.

Dr. Wiggy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 9/16/2016 4:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't see anything in 25 print dialog that wasn't in 2014.5 and previous. But the option in Preferences has just been removed.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 6.png
  261KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 142 time(s).

jim dukey
Registered Member

Click to send jim dukey email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jim dukeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 9/16/2016 9:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, but what does
"the control to alter it has been removed in 25"
mean?

Molecular Computer, Powered by Fusion in a Jar. Finale 3000, Wireless ESP Module, No Physical Interface, Printed Parts Manifest by The Universe,

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 9/16/2016 10:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The attached image is from Finale 2014.5. The circled control is not present in Finale 25.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 7.png
  60KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 130 time(s).

jim dukey
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 9/16/2016 10:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Isn't that choice now available in the Print Dialog?
I don't know how to make that Screen Shot thing, or I'd post that.
Anyway, it works for me and probably I'm misunderstanding what you are saying!

Michael Johnson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michael JohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 1317

Posted 9/16/2016 2:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, Dr. Wiggy and Jim are right to make sure under File/Page Setup that the orientation is set to portrait.
I've attached my file file, PDF part, and screen shot of my printer settings to get a small margin at the top.
Good luck with your show; hope you have a great season.

Cheers

Michael Johnson

MacBook Pro
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
2 Up Printer Settings.png
  158KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 179 time(s).

File Attachment :
OffTheLine - LetterLandscapePart - Trumpet in Bb.pdf   66KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 159 time(s).

File Attachment :
OffTheLine - LetterLandscapePart.musx   100KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 284 time(s).

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Nikk P.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 9/18/2016 3:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, wait a minute...if I am using the marching band template to create ottavo-like parts, this does not work. Here was what I did prior to Finale 25:

1. Use the Marching Band template and customized it to within an inch of its life...I do NOT want to have to do this again.
2. When printing, I would select "Layout" and print two pages per sheet.
3. The result was exactly the right size for cutting and inserting into the standard flip folio window, I just printed an example using the exact method outlined here in 2014.5, and it is attached.

Now...if I do exactly what you are saying (and please, "check my math" here to see if I am just dumb and not comprehending):

1. I continue to use my marching band template.
2. When printing, instead of Layout in the Drop-Down options, I select the "Layout: 2-up" that is right there on the opening splash screen.
3. I tell it to ignore printer margins.

The problem is...I do NOT get the same result. I get the result that I've attached here as "MMT using 25" which is too large for flip folders.

Ok, so...I go back. This time, using Finale 25, I:

1. Use the "Layout" found in the Drop-Down options.
2. Select two pages per sheet. Print.

This now creates a completely different printout, one with much too much white space at the top. This too is unusable.

So...now I go back and try something else:

1. Use the "Layout" found in the Drop-Down options.
2. Select two pages per sheet.
3. GO BACK to the main menu and select 2-up on both of these options...of course, this is also not the desired product.

Why is it that, in Finale 25, I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT replicate the end result I can get in 2014, 2012, 2011, etc.?

This is beyond frustrating. Am I going to have to start all over from scratch on a new template because some internal setting was changed???

Setting the print settings to Portrait does not result in any difference either - I get the same exact printout as in my second scenario above.

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 25
Mac OSX 10.11.6

File Attachment :
MMT using 2014.pdf   53KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 314 time(s).

File Attachment :
MMT using 25.pdf   72KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 176 time(s).

File Attachment :
MMT using layout in dropdown.pdf   72KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 164 time(s).

Michael Johnson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michael JohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 1317

Posted 9/19/2016 2:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Nikk:
I'm sorry this is so frustrating. Yes, printing has changed in v25 from previous versions. We had to make some changes to keep up with Apple. I think we're talking past each other here. Could you Private Message me your template so I can see what your page format for Parts are set at and how you configured orientation for the parts? I'm sure we can get to the bottom of the problem, you won't need to recreate your templates, and you can get the output you want in v25.

Cheers,

Michael Johnson

MacBook Pro
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 9/21/2016 6:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Will do.

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 25
Mac OSX 10.11.6

David Clarence
Player of Notes

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David ClarenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2009
Total Posts : 134

Posted 11/28/2016 12:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just a quick thank you to Dr Wiggy. Adding a postscript printer fixed the problem for me.

Finale 2014.5, v25.1
macOS Sierra 10.12
Full TGTools
JW Plug-ins

iMac 21.5" 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 8GB RAM