Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > listen to one note at a time  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

dave2005
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dave2005AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 100

Posted 9/27/2004 6:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
how do you listen to one note at a time, in a "point and click" kind of way.

seemed like I could only do this if the note value (eighth note, etc) was the same, and even then the entire chord would sound rather than one note at a time.  Is there a simple way to just point and click to listen to a note on the page?

Thanks.

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 9/27/2004 6:49 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think it's possible to hear one chord tone at a time, but the question has appeared several times in this forum.
Might be a good idea for a feature request.

Peter

dave2005
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dave2005AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 9/27/2004 7:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I see. Well, is it at least possible to point and click and hear the notes without having to change the note value every time?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 9/27/2004 8:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hold ctl-shift and spacebar, then point. Chords sound together, but its a pretty handle tool none the less.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2004b, 2005, Win 2000 or XP

Dan Kenton
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan KentonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 47

Posted 9/27/2004 11:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Yes, I agree that this is really a strange omission from this program.  Even my rather cumbersome score editor in Cubase VST does this.  In fact, you can click on a note and hear it, then use the arrow keys to step through the whole score one note at a time.  It's a great feature if you want to troubleshoot areas. 

Ctrl/Shift/Spacebar...???  Come on Finale, what gives???

Icarus
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to IcarusAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 10

Posted 9/27/2004 2:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Beforehand...this post is not to sound like an elitist; it's just answering your question.

Finale is intended for professionals. Most professionals have theory experience (even I'm not a professional, and I do).
Someone who is proficient in music theory can look at a chord, and determine the type of chord, quality of the chord, as well as what inversion the chord is in. Even in basic theory and ear training classes, they will most likely drill you with exercises intended to speed up this recognition process.

I've never longed for the ability to hear each note outside of a chord, honestly.

Post Edited (Icarus) : 9/27/2004 7:41:52 PM GMT

Dan Kenton
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dan KentonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 47

Posted 9/27/2004 5:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Well Icarus, let me ask you a question;  you're looking at a score for a drumset and percussionist and you're on the second page of the piece and you want to know what is being played on the fourth line of the staff at measure 80...can you guess????  Although these instruments might appear on the bass clef, I doubt the note will sound anything like an F.  Now, (and I'm just reaching here) if Finale includes drumset/percussion and other non-clef instruments for their customers, could it be that these instruments might benefit from such a feature? 

I'm not trying to bait you but your post is absolutely useless for the question given your deduction of this feature as being unnecessary for professionals or for those with theory knowledge.  That fact that you would disclaim something as not being elitist before you begin typing might indicate that you're better off moving to another post.   What you've basically stated is, "Sorry guys, professionals don't need to do this and Finale is made for professionals".  Sounds elitists to me let alone 100% incorrect.

gorden
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to gordenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 17

Posted 9/27/2004 6:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
See attachment to hear single notes.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
singlenote.jpg
  9KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 412 time(s).

dave2005
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2004

Posted 9/27/2004 6:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Icarus, well I DO happen to be a pro (at least, they pay me to play music for some reason), and I do have training and know what the various chord qualities sound like, but I still like to listen to what I've come up with and sometimes make some unusual changes. Thanks for your input though.

Dave music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dave musicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2004
Total Posts : 28

Posted 9/27/2004 8:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This should be a request for Finale, PrintMusic, etc. I need this feature badly, use arrows to step through melody line. Finale, can you hear us? :-)

Icarus
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to IcarusAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 10

Posted 9/28/2004 1:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To avoid a drawn-out argument, I will make my response short.
SuStu -
"you want to know what is being played on the fourth line of the staff at measure 80...can you guess????"
I don't use Finale's percussion feature that often, and I could be wrong about this...but it sounds like if you know it's coming from the fourth line at measure 80...you know what it is. I think I see your point, but as you stated that, I'm not very sure. I would assume you mean there are perhaps two notes; one on the fourth line, one on the fifth, and you want to know which is which?

And as I'm not a professional (and very far from it), that was only my response to your "what gives?" I was just trying to answer the question from my perspective.

To say that my post was 100% incorrect is just plain silly. I wasn't trying to answer your question? Finale is not intended for professionals? Most professionals do not have music theory experience? Those with theory experience can't look at a chord and understand it's composition? I *have* longed for that ability, even though I say otherwise?
Just because you don't agree with me doesn't make me wrong.

dave2005 - Fair enough. Thanks for being tolerant of me being a jackass; I appreciate it.

Greator_SST
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Greator_SSTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 191

Posted 9/28/2004 3:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
...I'll bet that more than 9 out of 10 of Finale users are not professionals (meaning they don't earn their living solely from music). So anything MakeMusic can do to make it easier for those out there who never had the opportunity to study music, but who would love to get the chance to create it, is most appreciated.

I think the argument that Finale is only intended for professionals is exactly why Sibelius has made such dramatic gains in marketshare and why MakeMusic is finally putting so much resources into playback. Professionals could probably be quite happy with the most rudimentary sounds, if they need them at all. But the vast majority of people would beg to differ. And this request is right in line with the direction MakeMusic knows it needs to go, away from a strictly professional market to one that serves the entire market.

http://www.composeforums.com/
...where composers learn and share