Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Exploding a part with 2 layers  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Maharal
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MaharalAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 10

Posted 12/12/2012 9:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to automatically explode a part with 2 layers? (without copying, pasting and deleting the unwanted layers).
If not, do you think this action could be scriptable?

Thank you
Alex

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 12/12/2012 1:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Assuming you have the full Finale (please add this info to your signature), it can be done with Manage Parts :
New Part
Add to Part : add the staff you need into the middle column
Name it (Flute 1 for instance)
Specify voicing, Edit Voicing, select all notes in Layer 1 Only.
That's it.

Create a second part for the second instrument the same way.

Michel
Finale 2012c, 2011c, 2010b, 2009b, MacOsX 10.7.5 (Lion), Mac Mini Intel Core i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 12/12/2012 1:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, but let's say this is your score, and you need to create a copy of the file for parts, with all parts on their own staves, because of dumb limitations on voiced parts (like grace notes break, no convenient way to include cues, you need certain categories of expressions to be a different size in the parts, etc.) and some staves have layer 1 AND layer 2, but not all.

How can one go about doing this? I used to use TG Tools Explode Parts, but some things break in new versions of Finale.

Christopher Smith

Mac 2 x 2 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
Finale 2011b and 2012c r.13
or
Mac iBook G4 733 Mhz
OSX 10.4.11
Finale 2010b r.1

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/12/2012 3:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I read the original question as explode layers, which implied 2 staves (in the score). Then, one wouldn't need to specify voicing in managed parts. I'm not sure which way the OP wants to go. Let's find out first.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 12/12/2012 4:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I read the OP's question like this.  Suppose you had an SATB score with two staves and layers assigned S/A -> 1/2 and T/B -> 1/2.  How can I explode S/A into two separate staves without layers, S -> staff 1, A -> staff 2, and similarly with the T/B, ending up with 4 staves without layers.  I'm using this as an example.  I know the OP said only two layers, but the principle is the same.

The proposed method of using "Manage Parts" would certainly generate the "parts" but they would not be separate staves on the same part, which is what I took the question to be.  The parts could then be copy/pasted into another set of staves.  I don't see plugin or utility that will do it.  One way to do it manually would be to create the four empty staves in the original document and use the "Show Active Layer Only" option in the Document menu in conjunction with selecting each layer one at a time.  You could then select the original staff with the layer showing and copy/paste it into the appropriate newly created blank staff.  Then delete the original layered staves.  This process could "probably" be automated with Finalescript.  Sounds like a fun project, if this is what the OP wanted.

Dell XPS 600, GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz [Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4] (2 processors)
8GB Ram
HT Omega Striker 7.1
MSI N430GT 2GB GPU
1TB x 4 internal HD's

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition, (06.01.7600.00)
Finale 2012c.r13

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 12/12/2012 3:38:48 PM (GMT-6)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/12/2012 7:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know this is simplified, but if I had a score with Flute 1 and 2 in 2 layers sharing a staff, and wanted to split the 2 layers to 2 staves, I would add the second Flute staff in the Score Manager. I would then choose to show active layer. I would next, in Layer 2, highlight the top staff and ctrl-x the layer 2 part. I would then higlight the Flute 2 staff and ctrl-v. I would finish by showing all layers again.

Now, without seeing the OP's score, I have no idea what is needed. We could guess for hours, but each situation is different. But the above steps are the fastest way I know. I have given up with Finalescript as it is just a toy at this point, and not for serious use, as it fails a certain percentage of the time. And in 2012, it is less stable in Windows 7 than in XP, so it is only usable on one of my machinces. (I know that doesn't concern Mac users, unless they also use Windows--but I have read of Mac instability as well.)

Zuill

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 12/12/2012 8:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Zuill,

I believe that is just the method I outlined.

Dell XPS 600, GenuineIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz [Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4] (2 processors)
8GB Ram
HT Omega Striker 7.1
MSI N430GT 2GB GPU
1TB x 4 internal HD's

Finale 2012c.r13

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/12/2012 8:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I only added one staff, and I saved a step by using ctrl-x instead of ctrl-c and then going back to delete the layer. I was just reducing the number of steps. That, in lieu of trying to use a Finalescript, as requested by the OP.

Zuill

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 12/12/2012 9:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I see the subtle difference.  You used cut/paste instead of copy/paste.

8GB Ram
HT Omega Striker 7.1
MSI N430GT 2GB GPU
1TB x 4 internal HD's

Finale 2012c.r13

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 12/12/2012 10:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What if the parts ARE sharing the same layer in some passages? And you have to repeat this with Oboe 1+2, Clarinet 1+2, Bassoon 1+2, 2 staves of Horn, Trumpet, and Trombone? And you have to eliminate Solo, 1., 2., a2 and other markings? It could get old rather quickly.

TG Tools was great for this, but as I mentioned, it doesn't work well in the new version of Finale. It never missed a shot the entire time I used it.

Christopher Smith

Mac 2 x 2 Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
Finale 2011b and 2012c r.13
or
Mac iBook G4 733 Mhz
OSX 10.4.11
Finale 2010b r.1

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/13/2012 12:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As far as the original question, we don't know, and we may never know.

Zuill

Maharal
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MaharalAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 10

Posted 12/13/2012 6:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you for all the replies. My original problem is to explode a selection to the next staff right below.
Using Manage parts does the simple job but I began to think about using a Finalescript. The whole problem would be selecting a few bars and pasting it right below the selection regardless of its position on the score. I'm going to try it anyway.

Post Edited (Maharal) : 12/13/2012 5:21:53 AM (GMT-6)

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 12/13/2012 6:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If I understand what you are looking for, "Show active layer only" allows you to easily copy regions of a specific layer to another staff, anywhere. In a second step, you can Move to Layer 1 the things in the new staff that were placed in another layer.

Michel
Finale 2012c, 2011c, 2010b, 2009b, MacOsX 10.7.5 (Lion), Mac Mini Intel Core i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express