Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > (No Subject)

Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ru
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ruAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 60

Posted 11/16/2016 3:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi
I am working on a large orchestral score, and I have recently upgraded to Finale 2014.5 for Mac..... ( previously worked on 2010/2012) I am having a horrible time with it. It reacts so slowly. sometimes will not erase, or input, and when i move the score up and down to view instruments it jumps all over the place, and doesn't remain in the same bar.

Also, every time I want to play just a few bars, it goes through the process of setting up 'human playback' and I can't find a way to turn that off. Can someone tell me how?

Has anyone else experienced the lag in the input of notes? And the inability to scroll up and down the score, without losing the place. ( in scroll view) If so, d'you know how to fix it? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it three times. No change.

ru
Toronto, Canada.

ruth
using Finale 2014 for windows

Bill Stevens
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bill StevensAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 5408

Posted 11/16/2016 3:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What OS are you using?

Bill

Finale 2014.5 (all versions since 1.0)
Finally made the move from my trusty 2011c
Staff Paper and #1 Blackwing Pencil with eraser
OS 10.9.4 on one, 10.10.5 on another

ru
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ruAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 60

Posted 11/16/2016 3:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
El Capitan

ruth
using Finale 2014 for windows

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted 11/16/2016 11:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ru, there is no direct help. Finale on OS X is from v2014+ very slow. You need to find other workflows, such as scroll view, staff sets, automatic spacing off...
I have fixed this by installing Windows 7 on the BootCamp. That is THE quickest way.

Finale 2014.5 • OS X: Yosemite, MPB 15', 16GB RAM

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 11/17/2016 1:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ru said...
I have recently upgraded to Finale 2014.5 for Mac.....

How recently? Finale 25 has been the latest version for a while. Perhaps check whether your recent purchase entitles you to a free upgrade.

Finale 25 is much faster than previous versions.

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Daniele Ghisi
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Daniele GhisiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 59

Posted 12/5/2016 3:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Dr Wiggy; I strongly disagree.
At least on Mac, Finale 25 has a huge lagging problem for simple operations such as speedy edit, which previous versions (say, <= 2011) had absolutely not.
Lagging on speedy edit makes the whole point of speedy editing moot. Not to mention that scrolling is a nightmare. If you scroll horizontally slowly, the score won't scroll at all.
All of this makes the software hardly usable: instead of making interface experience get better, they somehow managed to make it worse...

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 12/5/2016 4:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I experience none of what you describe in Speedy Entry or with scrolling. The fact that a lot of us experience version 25.1 as being faster than its predecessors would suggest that at least part of your problem might be with your system or something installed in it. Have you tried running Finale in a new account or starting your computer in safe mode just to check how Finale behaves then?

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25.1, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam