Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > WARNING UPDATE! Do Not Run the Windows 25 Upgrade on Windows 7  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
63 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2  3 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

DCrocker
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit DCrocker's website.Private Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 511

Posted 10/21/2016 11:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet, in my case I moved a copy of the DLL (or a identically-named file) to a directory on the Path. Finale apparently recognized the file was there but was then unable to start.
I quit attempting to deal with this stuff years ago, but for those who still enjoy tracking down this kind of problem, I think this may provide more information - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235264.aspx

dean

Finally using FinWin 2014 on Windows 7 for everything, despite the irritations…
(Previously used everything back to version 2.0.1)

Djard
Registered Member

Click to send Djard email.Click to visit Djard's website.Send a Private Message to DjardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2010
Total Posts : 518

Posted 10/22/2016 2:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you are unable to use Windows' Restore feature in Control Panel for recovery, you can at least prevent a setback of any type in the future by using the free but excellent "EaseUS Todo." Select the "sector-by-sector" clone option for a faithful restoration to an identical state (providing you clone the drive before making any major change on your PC). You will not need to register or enter any keys for installed apps. If you don't use an external USB drive, create a partition. I can give you the steps if you wish.

Djard
Finale 2012

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 10/22/2016 7:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you look at the image of the error message I posted it does not name the .dll. Specifically it says, "A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run." There are hundreds of dlls in Windows.

Finale 25

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/22/2016 11:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
FYI: I just tried the full installation package for Finale 25.1 and it failed with the same message about not being able to run an unnamed DLL and it cleaned out my main Finale 25 application folder. This is no longer a joking matter.

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Bad dll.png
  446KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 337 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Finale Gone.png
  191KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 185 time(s).

gogreen
Registered Member

Click to send gogreen email.Click to visit gogreen's website.Send a Private Message to gogreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 1618

Posted 10/22/2016 1:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron. said...
I just tried the full installation package for Finale 25.1 and it failed with the same message about not being able to run an unnamed DLL and it cleaned out my main Finale 25 application folder. This is no longer a joking matter.

Use Control Panel to uninstall Finale 25 and 25.1 if they're listed. Then go into C:\ProgramData\ and erase the entire Finale folder. Restart, turn off your antivirus, and reinstall the full installation package.

Arthur J. Michaels

/www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011b.r2, 2014d, 2014.5, Finale 25
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home x64
Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Aria Player 1.872, Audacity 2.1.2
Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
Casio WK-3000
M-Audio AV40 monitors
AKG K-240 Studio headphones
Brother MFC-L2740DW printer

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/22/2016 4:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron,

Did you try to install the original v25 (not v25.1)?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/22/2016 4:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was trying to install the freshly downloaded Finale 25.1. I was forced to reinstall Finale 25 when the 25.1 install failed and wiped out my Finale 25 installation. (It's a good thin I had a copy of the Finale 25 installation program because you can longer get it from MM.)

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 10/22/2016 6:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
How hard could it be to report the name of the missing DLL, I wonder.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

PeterC
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to PeterCAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2016
Total Posts : 1

Posted 10/23/2016 3:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I had exactly the same problem as Ron running the update. Tried several times 'as Administrator' etc reinstalling 25.0 each time, but no joy. I even copied the entire Finale dir and the update exe to a temp folder and tried to install from there - but still get missing dll.. Then tried downloading the full 25.1 install package, but still got the 'missing dll' so have given up!

I am running Finale 25.0 under win7 in a VM.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 10/23/2016 4:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Perhaps the missing DLL is a Windows DLL only present in some versions?

Windows 7, MIDI input

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/26/2016 6:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Working on it with Lawson. It appears to be a Windows error. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/27/2016 11:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay, it looks like this problem is due to a flaw in Windows 7. You should not experience this problem with other versions of Windows.

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 10/27/2016 12:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do they have a solution?

I'm surprised no one thought to test it on Windows 7. QA 101.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/27/2016 12:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
Do they have a solution?

I'm surprised no one thought to test it on Windows 7. QA 101.

They are working on it. But, it seems to me that it should be up to Microsoft to fix it, no?

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 10/27/2016 12:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, I don't know. Does any other software have this problem? Why are Finale 25 and 2014.5 OK but Finale 25.1 isn't?

Windows 7, MIDI input

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/27/2016 1:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Windows Update Agent failed on my machine some months ago and I have not been able to run any Windows updates since then. Finale 25.1 requires the latest C++ Redistributable, but, because Windows Updater will not run, it cannot be installed on my machine--and so Finale 25.1 cannot be installed. (Quite obviously, Finale 25 and earlier versions do not require this particular patch from Microsoft because they were produced before the latest C++ redistributable was available.)

It is not just my machine that the Windows Update Agent is broken on--and reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch and reapplying the thousands of patches required to get up-to-date will not work because we will run into this failure again. Any application that requires any of Microsoft's patches issued after the update agent broke will also fail.

At this point, Windows 7 users can migrate to Windows 10 or, stay with Finale 25 until someone comes up with a workaround.

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 10/27/2016 2:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you haven't tried it, here's a link to download and install Visual C++ Redistributable manually.

/www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53840

Windows 7, MIDI input

Post Edited (Motet) : 10/27/2016 2:18:29 PM (GMT-5)

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 10/27/2016 2:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
(Oddly, I've had no problem with Windows Update, but that update hasn't been offered to me. I am unlikely to install Finale 25 anytime soon since I have a 32-bit computer.)

Windows 7, MIDI input

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/27/2016 3:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
If you haven't tried it, here's a link to download and install Visual C++ Redistributable manually.

/www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53840

Of course I have tried that. The Windows Update Installer is broken and will not install any Windows updates. Period. Manually, automatically, or any other way.

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 10/27/2016 3:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK. Since they're .exe files, it wasn't clear to me that they're "updates" or have to go through Windows Update. I didn't see any KB numbers. Older versions are listed on the Control Panel as installed programs.

Windows 7, MIDI input

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 10/27/2016 3:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
OK. Since they're .exe files, it wasn't clear to me that they're "updates" or have to go through Windows Update. I didn't see any KB numbers. Older versions are listed on the Control Panel as installed programs.

Yes, older ones are listed as "installed programs." They get there through the Windows Update utility.

Finale 25

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

gogreen
Registered Member

Click to send gogreen email.Click to visit gogreen's website.Send a Private Message to gogreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 1618

Posted 10/27/2016 4:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron: So why don't you migrate to Windows 10? Problem solved, right? If Windows Update in Windows 7 is broken, a clean reinstall using the appropriate Windows 7 ISO file would fix it (I had this problem). And if the ISO file is reasonably new, you won't have tons and tons of updates to reinstall.

Arthur J. Michaels

/www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011b.r2, 2014d, 2014.5, Finale 25
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home x64
Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Aria Player 1.872, Audacity 2.1.2
Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
Casio WK-3000
M-Audio AV40 monitors
AKG K-240 Studio headphones
Brother MFC-L2740DW printer

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 10/27/2016 4:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I had no probs installing and using Finale 25.1 on my Windows 7 machine. Could Windows updates be handled differently in Canada. Of course Windows machines can have widely different configurations of drivers depending on what a user has installed.

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 10/27/2016 6:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bottom line: it's not a Windows 7 issue. It's a Windows 7 issue on Ron's machine, which has Windows update not operating properly. That is a huge difference. I would be more concerned about other issues, like security.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

MrAIA
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MrAIAAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 36

Posted 10/27/2016 10:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
From a lurker ... I updated/upgraded from V25 to V25.1 on Win10 Pro after waiting to see what everyone else had experienced - I've had no issues that I have seen yet - but I'm not a heavy user either, and I have newer (under 1-year-old) i7 box.

(back to lurking ...)

Highest Regards,

Alan Hendry

Full-time Architect, some-time copyist!

Finale V25.1, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, 3TB HD, Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Post Edited (MrAIA) : 10/27/2016 10:08:08 PM (GMT-5)