Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Yamaha Pianosoft question  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Wopbamboom
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WopbamboomAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2001
Total Posts : 47

Posted 8/12/2002 9:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have a couple questions concerning the Yamaha Pianosoft software:

1)Does Yamaha (or others) have MIDI synthesizers or regular MIDI electronic keyboards that read this software, or is this pretty much only for the Disklavier player-pianos?

2)I'm still trying to figure out a way of getting the Pianosoft files to import to Finale so I can print out the score. Anyone have any good suggestions on what route I can go on this?

Wopbamboom
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to WopbamboomAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2001

Posted 8/13/2002 9:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is nobody responding to this one because nobody has tried it? Or is it because of those pesky copyright laws? Don't let legalism be the obstacle, I am doing this for educational purposes, not to make money. It should be free and clear for some answers on this topic... ;>)

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 8/14/2002 3:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nate,

I know nothing of the Pianosoft software, but don't think that just because you intend to use the copied score for educational purposes that the copyright law doesn't apply. There are probably more copyright laws broken by educators than any other single group. I would suggest that you contact Yamaha and see if they can help you with what you want.

Jim Coull

HaraldS
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HaraldSAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 310

Posted 8/14/2002 3:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I once heard that Pianosoft files are basically MIDI files but haven't tried it since I don't own an appropriate instrument. This is a Finale forum and you'll have better luck if you try a Yamaha-related forum such as http://yhp1.yamaha.co.jp/cgi-bin/pk_forume.cgi.

Harald

Wopbamboom
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2001

Posted 8/14/2002 1:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks a lot, I was not aware of the Yamaha forum.

And yes, I know this is a Finale forum, but since there are MANY smart/experienced people here, this is usually the very best source of info on the internet, bar none.

And since I am attempting to run the Pianosoft files (which are obviously MIDI of some sort) through Finale to get a print-out, I figure it's not too far off-topic. Thanks again!

Wopbamboom
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2001

Posted 8/14/2002 1:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Uhhhh... Harald, the Yamaha forum seems to be defunct... Any other suggestions?

musicpubl
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit musicpubl's website.Send a Private Message to musicpublAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 429

Posted 8/14/2002 2:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dude,

There's this thing, called like, the INTERNET, and like, it's really
useful for finding things.

Stop being so lazy, pull up google.com and do your own search.

Jeez.

guser
Registered Member

Click to send guser email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to guserAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 661

Posted 8/14/2002 3:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I really thought I had gotten to the point where I could no longer be surprised by MP's gratuitously abrasive rudeness.

I thought wrong.

Wopbamboom
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2001

Posted 8/14/2002 7:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds like a maturity issue there, Music Publ.

FYI, I am not lazy. I run a business as well as attend college full-time as a music major (the ultimate example of a "working student"). My time is limited and must be well spent. Sometimes it is quicker to ask a question than to perform yet another endless search on the internet. No, I am not lazy-- I do enough of these as it is. Sometimes it's just smarter to stop and ask for directions than to keep driving in circles, so to speak.

I don't resent your comments, I simply dismiss them as the remarks of a jerk. Grow up.

musicpubl
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit musicpubl's website.Send a Private Message to musicpublAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 429

Posted 8/15/2002 1:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The other day you asked if there were websites for Recordare and
some other company. Just to see, I plugged "recordare" into a
google search: Recordare was the very first site returned. Total
time spent: 2 seconds.

'Nuff said.

Bob Stiffler
Registered Member

Click to send Bob Stiffler email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bob StifflerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 269

Posted 8/15/2002 12:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nate:
If your piano has a midi connection on it, you may be able to hook the midi "out" of the piano to your computer, open the Hyperscribe transcription mode in Finale, and then play the disk on the piano. Hyperscribe may start recording the midi data from the midi "out" jack on the piano. I have done this with other Yamaha disk recorders.
Good Luck
Bob Stiffler

guser
Registered Member

Click to send guser email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to guserAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 661

Posted 8/15/2002 6:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nate -- MP is actually a pretty knowledgeable person, it's a shame he just can't deflate his monstrous gasbag of an ego by a few p.s.i.

PetersSongs
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit PetersSongs's website.Send a Private Message to PetersSongsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2000
Total Posts : 97

Posted 8/15/2002 8:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On 8/15/2002 11:05:00 PM, Anonymous wrote:
>Nate -- MP is actually a
>pretty knowledgeable person,
>it's a shame he just can't
>deflate his monstrous gasbag
>of an ego by a few p.s.i.

gas! gas! gas!

enuff said

Wopbamboom
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2001

Posted 8/15/2002 8:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To all who were willing to take the time to help, thank you so much.

Just an update for anyone who is also curious about running Pianosoft through Finale. I have been spending quite a bit of time trying to figure this out. I discovered down at the local music store that any Yamaha synth or elec piano that has a floppy slot will read and play the floppy that the Pianosoft files are on which indicates Pianosoft is not just for the Disklavier player pianos. As expected, the Korg and Rolands did not read Pianosoft. Also interestingly, there were almost NO models still available with floppy slots, as this seems to be "old tech". But they of course have USB ports etc. So I will probably be picking up an external floppy drive with USB, and hooking that up to the Yamaha synth and running MIDI out to my PC and through Finale. Lots of work, but I think this approach might very well work. We'll see. Since I am pursuing a BM in composition, I need to get a synth/piano that meets all my other needs as well. I have been seriously eyeballing the new Yamaha Motif 8. But with a retail price of $3,250, I need to wait another year before I can buy. Long slow process, but I am confident it will work.

Again, thanks to those who are happy to help.