Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Forum  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
32 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gareth GreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 2943

Posted 9/14/2003 10:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since sometime on 13th Sept. the forum has not been e-mailing new posts to me. I have been receiving other e-mails normally & there are no reported problems with my ISP. Also, I have re-checked my User Profile, and nothing has changed there.

Anyone else had any problems?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gareth

Richard N.
Musician

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Richard N.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2001
Total Posts : 1424

Posted 9/15/2003 1:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ditto

Richard N.

F2k4
WinXP Home

Slandrom Musik
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Slandrom MusikAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 380

Posted 9/15/2003 7:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Same here.

Björn

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Gareth GreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 9/16/2003 5:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tyler?

Anyone?

G.

TechSupport
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit TechSupport's website.Send a Private Message to TechSupportAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 432

Posted 9/16/2003 8:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Last Friday we made some changes to the WebBoard Configuration Table. This likely caused the problem.

Around noon today (Tuesday) we made some additional adjustments so it should now be working. Please let me know if you still have problems.

Rick
Coda Tech

Note: These on-line forums are intended for the exchange of ideas among the users of MakeMusic products. If you'd like individual help from our technical support staff, please contact them directly via email at winsupport@makemusic.com or macsupport@makemusic.com or call 952-937-9703.

Slandrom Musik
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Slandrom MusikAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000

Posted 9/16/2003 7:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I still don´t get any mails, wednesday morning.

Björn

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 9/16/2003 8:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nothing here so far, either.......

G.

Richard N.
Musician

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Richard N.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2001
Total Posts : 1424

Posted 9/16/2003 10:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Same here.

Richard N.

F2k4
WinXP Home

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 9/18/2003 12:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I've now sent an e-mail directly to Winsupport, pointing out that this is still not fixed; perhaps other people with a similar problem should do the same. Weight of numbers, and all that.......

G.

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 9/19/2003 2:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Nearly a week further on, and still no progress..........

Come on, MakeMusicTech, (or whatever you are called,.....) get a grip!

Is this not a problem for U.S. users?

Is that why it's such a low priority for TechSupport?

I remember posting a rant about pricing, and someone made the observation about MakeMusic not valuing its' UK customer base:...

Remember that we UK users have to continually cope with peer pressure from colleagues in the UK who have been brainwashed into believing that Sibelius is a vastly superior product!

I don't see why I should continue to "go out on a limb" in terms of vociferously supporting "Finale" as a competitor to Sibelius, unless TechSupport addresses this problem as a matter of urgency.........

Your ball.......

Gareth

Slandrom Musik
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2000

Posted 9/22/2003 8:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
10 days has passed and still no e-mails. Sent a
message to Mac/Win-support 4 days ago, but so
far no answer.

Björn

Gordon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GordonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 1999
Total Posts : 236

Posted 9/27/2003 5:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am adding my input to this topic.
I am not receiving my non-digest
messages automatically to email.

Regards,
Gordon

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 10/4/2003 7:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK, so we now have a new forum; having spent some considerable time researching/experimenting-with/buggering-about-with all the various new options/settings, I still can't get it to do what the old forum did, ie: every new post was sent directly (verbatim, not just a notification) to my Inbox. [In fact, it doesn't even seem to consistently notify me of all posts anyway; just a random few......]

If I am missing something, can someone please tell me; if not, then how can this new forum possibly be considered an improvement?

getting more and more pissed-off with MakeMusic by the day...,

Gareth

Post Edited (GJG) : 10/5/2003 12:56:39 AM GMT

airfieldmusic
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit airfieldmusic's website.Send a Private Message to airfieldmusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 218

Posted 10/4/2003 8:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What was wrong with the old forum? I have to use a different browser in order to access this new format. PLEASE, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 10/4/2003 9:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The forum software we're using now is much more of a standard. Every where I go on the net I find forums that are very similar to this. There were a lot of reasons we wanted to get rid of the old forum. Here are a few:

1. It was broken and would have taken a lot of research and time to fix. You couldn't even get access to posts before a certain date (I think January of 2002 or so). The forum was also breaking down often and forcing us to devote valuable time to it.

2. It didn't fit the look of our new website at all, and it generally looked old compared to other forums on the net. It's important for a company like us to have a modern appearance to attract new users.

3. It did follow the almost universal convention of having new posts move a thread to the top. Threads which people were still posting to were constantly being moved off to the second page and forgotten or never seen. This was an embarrassing shortcoming, and easily the single biggest inconvenience I've ever found in a forum. I actually think we'll see more posts than before.

4. Formatting was extremely limited. And it's nice to have automatic integration of hyper links.

5. People were complaining. And we agreed with the complaints.

There will and obviously should be feature requests. I'd personally love to have a spell checker. I'm not sure yet what kind of modifications we'll be able to do, but we'll look into them when it's feasible to do so.

Slandrom
Registered Member

Click to send Slandrom email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SlandromAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 1792

Posted 10/5/2003 2:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It looks very nice but I find it a little bit massy. I did like to see the topics along with the posts, the ability to read only the new answers to a topic. Now I have to jump back and forward and it takes a lot of time.....and

as Gareth points out....the old way of recieving the posts as e-mails was outstanding! You could look at them instantly whe they were posted. Beeing away for some weeks it was easy to read or delete among the 800-1000! posts in your mailbox. Now it will probably only be a quick "all messages read".

Björn

Jon Delfin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jon DelfinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 783

Posted 10/5/2003 9:18 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I give up, how did everyone know about the new forum? Was there an announcement? After a couple of days of nothingness at my old bookmark, it finally occurred to me (and I finally had the time) to visit the home page and look around.

Dick Brodfuehrer
Hack Arranger and C.O.G. (Chief Old Geezer)

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 4687

Posted 10/5/2003 9:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jon,

I didn't see any announcement. I used to always go through the Finale home page, and one day this new forum just appeared. The Finale tech. staff does a lot of things well, but keeping their customers informed has never been one of them.

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!

cliffdzihner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to cliffdzihnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 486

Posted 10/6/2003 10:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
>What was wrong with the old forum?

I HATED the old forum. I'm very happy with the new format.

Jon Delfin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jon DelfinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 783

Posted 10/6/2003 4:19 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'd be happier if I could figure out a way to set a preference to "show newest post first" universally instead of having to set it for each darn thread. And pray tell, what do the icons on the front page mean? A question mark in a blue circle, a red "unhappy" face, a "thumbs-up" -- I can sort of guess, but why do some threads have them and not others? Where do they come from?

And while I'm on the subject, is there a way to find just the new postings without having to scroll through an entire thread? (Ah, here in the edit box, I see where the "post icons" come from. I surmise that thread initiators can highlight their messages. One mystery solved.) And "Last Seen"? What, and by whom?

Post Edited (Jon Delfin) : 10/6/2003 9:32:22 PM GMT

Gareth Green
Player of fine trumpets

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 10/6/2003 6:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
cliffdzihner said...
>What was wrong with the old forum?

I HATED the old forum. I'm very happy with the new format.
Well, that's all very well, if you didn't rely on the automatic e-mail capabilities of the old forum.

So far as I am concerned, I HATE the new forum, and I was very happy with the old format.

It was so much easier to keep up to date with what people were saying, when each time someone posted, their post was e-mailed directly to your Inbox. Especially if you were away for a few days, then you could catch up at leisure, confident that you were reading the posts in the order they were posted, With the new forum, if you go away on holiday, I can see no possible way that you can come back and have any idea where to start catching up.

Call me an cantankerous old reactionary if you will, (please, I've always wanted to be called cantankerous, especially if I could spell it) but I think the new forum STINKS.

Gareth

HOMR
Handsome gent

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to HOMRAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2001
Total Posts : 227

Posted 10/6/2003 11:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gareth Green said...

Call me an cantankerous old reactionary if you will, (please, I've always wanted to be called cantankerous, especially if I could spell it) but I think the new forum STINKS.

OK, you're a cantankerous old reactionary. ;-)

And I like the new forums MUCH better.

Paul

Dick Brodfuehrer

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dick BrodfuehrerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 10/7/2003 1:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Go Gareth!
 As I have always said, if you can't be mean, nasty, and cranky, what's the point of growing old?  smilewinkgrin

Jim Coull
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jim CoullAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 2723

Posted 10/7/2003 5:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dick,

So what about those of us that were mean, nasty and cranky before we got old?

I'm sorta with Gareth, here. The old forums may not have had a hip new look to them, but they were quick and fairly easy to navigate and they worked just fine with older versions of Netscape. I now have to switch browsers in order to read the forums. While that is not too difficult, it is a bit of a time waster when I'm online. I also agree that it's a pain to not be able to see just the new posts in a thread. With the old forums, one had the option to view the entire thread or just the new posts. If that option is available here, I haven't been able to locate it.

Jim Coull

PS

If y'all thought you get rid of me by hiding the forums for three or four days and changing the format, you got another think comin'. And I thought you guys were my friends!!??

Dick Brodfuehrer

Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 10/7/2003 7:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Jim Coull said...
So what about those of us that were mean, nasty, and cranky before we got old?
Oh my!  You have my sympathy.  You have nothing to look forward to in your old age. shocked

I'm sorta with Gareth, here. The old forums may not have had a hip new look to them, but they were quick and fairly easy to navigate and they worked just fine with older versions of Netscape. I now have to switch browsers in order to read the forums. While that is not too difficult, it is a bit of a time waster when I'm online. I also agree that it's a pain to not be able to see just the new posts in a thread. With the old forums, one had the option to view the entire thread or just the new posts. If that option is available here, I haven't been able to locate it.

Me too.  But trying to do something about it is like teaching a pig to sing --- it wastes your time and irritates the pig.  Let's face it, techie types will never understand why the newest fad with all the latest gimmicks isn't necessarily better.  I think it's some kind of mutation in their genes.  ;-)

If y'all thought you get rid of me by hiding the forums for three or four days and changing the format, you got another think comin'. And I thought you guys were my friends!!??

It was an IQ test.  You passed, but just barely. lol