Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Copy music from one file to another  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Mr Bajen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mr Bajen's website.Send a Private Message to Mr BajenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 25

Posted 11/28/2007 6:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,
I want to copy music from one Finale 2007 file to another WITH the time signature changes. I can only copy the notes, but I also need the different time signatures to be copied. I'm pretty sure I've done this before, but I can't remember how I did it. Anybody got any hints?
Thanks,
/Patric

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 11/28/2007 7:14 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Perhaps you get better results if you insert the music instead.
In that way the extra measures get inserted into the target document, but you can always delete extra measures you don't need.

Peter

Mac Finale 2006d, 2007c & 2008, Dolet 3.5 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.4.10, iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM

Erling Kroner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Erling Kroner's website.Send a Private Message to Erling KronerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add erling@kroner-music.dk to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 408

Posted 11/28/2007 8:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
and remember you have to use 'stacks'

erling
Quicksilver G4, 867 Mhz, 1,25 GB SDRAM. 15" PowerBook G4, 1,5 Ghz, 1,5 GB Ram. 2008
always latest Mac OS version though haven't yet updated to Leopard

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 11/28/2007 8:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
but don't worry about measure stacks if you are using Finale 2007 or earlier.

A 'stack' is "a Finale 2008 thing" - it's a "complete measure"; the measure selected in all the staves.

Peter

Mac Finale 2006d, 2007c & 2008, Dolet 3.5 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.4.10, iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM

Mr Bajen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mr Bajen's website.Send a Private Message to Mr BajenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001

Posted 11/28/2007 8:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks! I've tried this but with the same result. Everything gets copied into the new file (my own beaming included) BUT the time signature. I could use some more tips on this. In the meantime I'll just re-write the whole shabang...
Thanks anyway!
/Patric

Obiwan Kenobi
Very happy Jedi

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Obiwan KenobiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 1043

Posted 11/28/2007 10:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
May be a stupid question, but: have you used to copy/paste by the Finale way (Dragging the measures to one another or selecting the measures then Option+Shift click) ?
Are you sure to have not copy entries... (without any "Measure item") selected instead of copy everything in the Mass Edit menu ?

Another point:
Mr Bajen said...
Everything gets copied into the new file (my own beaming included) BUT the time signature

If the passage where you want to copy measures has the same time signature as the copied one, it is normal that the TS won't appear (unless you ask for "Always show" in the concerned measure in Measure Attibutes dialog box). But I suppose this is not the case in the problem you are discussing here...

Kind regards
Bruno
Paris-France

G4-1.8Ghz / 1.5Go RAM / OSX 10.4.11
Finale 2000 - 2003a - 2005b - 2008

Mr Bajen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2001

Posted 11/28/2007 10:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Bruno! No questions are stupid in a forum.
I've tried your suggestions but with the same outcome. Perhaps there is a bug of some kind in my version?
Anyway, I'm almost finished re-writing everything. I'll have a deeper check into this later on.
Thanks again!
Regards,
/Patric

PS. Yes the empty file has 4/4 as default and the "full" file has time signatures that is constantly changing from bar to bar.

Tom A
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Tom AAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 117

Posted 11/28/2007 10:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you have done this before, successfully, I'd be very interested to know how. I've NEVER figured out how to copy and paste from one document to another and retain meters; I always set up a blank document with the correct number of measure and correct meter changes, then copy and paste. (Haven't tried this in 2008 yet.)

Thomas Albert
Winchester VA
www.thomasalbert.net

FIN 2008 OS 10.4.10
iMac 20-inch 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM
Eidirol PC-300, Roland JV-1010
HP LaserJet 5000

iMac 17-inch 1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM
MacBookPro 15.4 inch 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM
Kurzweil Mark 12, MOTU Fastlane USB interface
HP LaserJet 4000

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 11/28/2007 11:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tom A said...
If you have done this before, successfully, I'd be very interested to know how. I've NEVER figured out how to copy and paste from one document to another and retain meters; I always set up a blank document with the correct number of measure and correct meter changes, then copy and paste. (Haven't tried this in 2008 yet.)

Like Peter suggested in his post, use INSERT, not copy and paste. Make sure all items are selected in the "items to copy menu" do a select all, then cmmd-C to copy the file into memory, then switch to your destination document, highlight measure 1, then choose insert from the edit menu. Everything including time signatures will get copied into your new file.

JT

G4 Powerbook, OSX 10.4.8, 1.67 GHz, 1.5 GB ram

Obiwan Kenobi
Very happy Jedi

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Obiwan KenobiAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 11/28/2007 11:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tom A said...
I've NEVER figured out how to copy and paste from one document to another and retain meters;

oups! I've missed an episode: I have forgetten the exact title of this thread. My tips only works inside a same document, of course ; I am sorry.
So, I am quite OK with Tom: from one document to another one, this is another story (as write Rudyard Kipling).

Bests,
Bruno

Tom A
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Tom AAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2001
Total Posts : 117

Posted 11/28/2007 12:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It never ceases to amaze me: after using Finale since version 1.0, there are STILL basic things I need to learn. Insert, don't copy... huh.

Thanks, JT, for making me look back at Peter's first reply.

Thomas Albert
Winchester VA
www.thomasalbert.net

FIN 2008 OS 10.4.10
iMac 20-inch 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM
Eidirol PC-300, Roland JV-1010
HP LaserJet 5000

iMac 17-inch 1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM
MacBookPro 15.4 inch 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM
Kurzweil Mark 12, MOTU Fastlane USB interface
HP LaserJet 4000

Obiwan Kenobi
Very happy Jedi

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 11/28/2007 2:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tom A said...
It never ceases to amaze me: after using Finale since version 1.0, there are STILL basic things I need to learn. Insert, don't copy... huh.

+1 Tom, ;-)
Just a little presicion to our friend: use the insert item of the "Edit Menu" and not, "copy and insert" of the "Mass Edit menu" (once again, later works only to copying music inside the same doc).

Another way (but not necessary better):
1) In the first doc, select the concerned measures (those with TS changes) within Mass edit tool selected
2) Press the Option key, then, in the Edit Menu choose "Copy to Clip File"
3) In the dialog box open, name this clip, save it (on the desktop, for example)
4) Get the target doc ; select the first measure where you want copy the excerpt.
5) Press the Option key, then, in the Edit Menu, choose "insert from the clip file"
6) in the dialog box, choose the Clip file previously saved
7) Et voilà.

I have found that in the F2005 manual. Or "Comment faire compliqué quand on peut faire plus simple!"
It is a way that French Administration would really appreciate... :p

Bruno

Post Edited (Obiwan Kénobi) : 11/28/2007 1:30:07 PM (GMT-6)

Mr Bajen
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2001

Posted 11/28/2007 3:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Heureka! It works perfectly well.
Thanks a million!
/Patric

PS. I just finished re-writing everything before taking another look here...

BvdPress
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BvdPressAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 1006

Posted 11/28/2007 6:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Maybe I am missing something here, but in 2008 I just copy and paste from file to file and get meter, key, repeats, double bars, finale bars, extra bars added as needed, etc. Is it me, or has copy-insert become a moot point in 2008?

acciuga
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to acciugaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 746

Posted 11/28/2007 11:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BVDPRESS said...
in 2008 I just copy and paste from file to file and get meter, key, repeats, double bars, finale bars, extra bars added as needed, etc.
In 2008, these items are available to paste as long as the selection is a "Stack", a new concept beginning with 2008.
BVDPRESS said...
Is it me, or has copy-insert become a moot point in 2008?
Perhaps a slight over-simplification but—Inserts in 2008 come in 2 flavors: insert from regional selection and no measures will be added (inserted) - this will allow entries to cross over and through bar lines and get pasted (inserted) on an entry-to-entry basis; insert from a stack selection and you are adding (inserting) whole measures - entries will not cross over bar lines.

Also, note that 2008 will always include meters when copying/pasting stack selections. Other "Measure Settings" (repeats, key sigs, etc.) may be filtered out via the Edit Filter.

-Rick Giovinazzo
Mac-Dual 2.5 GHz PPC G5; 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM; OSX 10.4.10
ATI Radeon 9600; Dell 2405FPW 24" monitor (landscape); Dell 2407WFP 24" monitor (portrait)

Obiwan Kenobi
Very happy Jedi

Date Joined Mar 2005

Posted 11/29/2007 11:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
acciuga said...
BVDPRESS said...
in 2008 I just copy and paste from file to file and get meter, key, repeats, double bars, finale bars, extra bars added as needed, etc.
In 2008, these items are available to paste as long as the selection is a "Stack", a new concept beginning with 2008.
BVDPRESS said...
Is it me, or has copy-insert become a moot point in 2008?
Perhaps a slight over-simplification but—Inserts in 2008 come in 2 flavors: insert from regional selection and no measures will be added (inserted) - this will allow entries to cross over and through bar lines and get pasted (inserted) on an entry-to-entry basis; insert from a stack selection and you are adding (inserting) whole measures - entries will not cross over bar lines.

Also, note that 2008 will always include meters when copying/pasting stack selections. Other "Measure Settings" (repeats, key sigs, etc.) may be filtered out via the Edit Filter.

Off topic. Our friend (Patric) works with F2007. scool

Bruno

Post Edited (Obiwan Kénobi) : 11/29/2007 12:28:03 PM (GMT-6)

acciuga
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to acciugaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 746

Posted 11/29/2007 1:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Bruno said...
Off topic. Our friend (Patric) woks with F2007.
Never mind!

-Rick Giovinazzo
Mac-Dual 2.5 GHz PPC G5; 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM; OSX 10.4.10
ATI Radeon 9600; Dell 2405FPW 24" monitor (landscape); Dell 2407WFP 24" monitor (portrait)