Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > 2007 Double Sharp???  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Sebastian Huydts
Registered Member

Click to send Sebastian Huydts email.Click to visit Sebastian Huydts's website.Send a Private Message to Sebastian HuydtsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 178

Posted 11/9/2006 1:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know that I read about this too—Can't find where and what the workaround, if any, is. How do I notate a f double sharp? In both Speedy and Simple entry whatever I try it comes out as an A double flat. In 2006 there is no problem.

Q for MakeMusic: When is this going to be fixed?? This is BAD.

Sebastian Huydts

PB G4, 1.25 GHz, 1,256 MB Ram, OS10.4.5, Fin2006d

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 11/9/2006 1:14 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This method gives me an F double-sharp in both Simple and Speedy:
Enter an F, and hit the NumPad+ key twice.

Peter

Mac Finale 2004c, 2005b, 2006c & 2007, Dolet 3.4 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.4.8, iMac G4 1.25 GHz, 1 GB RAM

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 11/9/2006 5:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You may want to inspect and adjust the Enharmonic preferences (which is now under the Finale menu), if the above doesn't work for you.

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 11/9/2006 8:16 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There is a bug in 2007 (awaiting 2007a for a fix) where changing a note enharminically causes various problems.

Either enter F sharp and hit +
or enter F and hit ++

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Mac 1.2GHz Dual G4, 1.25GB RAM /OSX.4.5 /20 inch CRT
Finale 2006d/2007
Logic Pro 7.1
Yamaha P-150 Electric Piano
MIDIMAN 2x2 interface
berhinger BCF2000 and BCR 2000

Sebastian Huydts
Registered Member

Click to send Sebastian Huydts email.Click to visit Sebastian Huydts's website.Send a Private Message to Sebastian HuydtsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 11/9/2006 9:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you for your help: What you describe works in a brand new document. However, it doesn't do anything in a document started many years ago (version 2003). It occurs in a piece in C, where I cannot change the (sounding) G to a (written) F double sharp in a D#7 chord (leading for one measure to G# minor, then going back to C major). Using the + sign (I am using a laptop) on either the attached keypad or the keyboard initially changes the F to a sharp, then switches to a A double flat, thereafter moves the entire chord up by a whole step.

I am admittedly a bit late in discovering this. about half a year ago I made the switch to Sibelius, and being quite happy with the experience so far, haven't used Finale much. However, many of my (equally frustrated) colleagues haven't made that switch simply because it takes a considerable time commitment (aside from Sibelius' own limitations). Because of collaboration, and because I too lack the time to convert all previous F documents into S, I have to use Finale from time to time. We have new iMacs at school, our tech-support informs us that installing 2006 is too complicated a process (because of the inability to de-install previous installs).

Coming back to Finale this way is a nasty surprise. As far as I know, this product has been out for several months without a fix for something quite important as the serious spelling bug. I will now make the time commitment to convert my documents into Sibelius and be done with this. I will of course urge my colleagues to do the same.

Sebastian Huydts
Columbia College Chicago

Sebastian Huydts

Erling Kroner
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Erling Kroner's website.Send a Private Message to Erling KronerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add erling@kroner-music.dk to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 408

Posted 11/9/2006 10:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale once again losing out to Sibelius because of years of malfunctioning versions resulting in frustrated users dropping it.
I'm NOT gonna drop Finale but do understand why others might do so. I'm as frustrated as the next guy but love what Finale CAN (albeit with enormous efforts overcoming bugs etcetera) do . . . and Sibelius can't.
Besides the point (?) Lotsa cats use S over here. How come their output always looks like crappp? not fit for professional use. Is it S or its userbase that is inferior? Just wonder as I've never dabbled in S.
erling

erling
Quicksilver G4, 867 Mhz, 1,25 GB SDRAM, 2007

Sebastian Huydts
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 1998

Posted 11/9/2006 6:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Erling,

Programming is complicated. I understand. Programmers make mistakes. I understand. Failing to correct mistakes in a timely fashion I don't understand.

I agree with you on most what you said. However, being a composer and educator, my engraving requirements are likely to be not as exacting as yours are, and I trust your, and many others' expertise regarding Finale. I too strive for my music to be professional looking and esthetically pleasing, but I need a tool that does the job correctly, that is relatively easy to use in relation to what I need to accomplish, and that has a receptive/responsive manufacturing company behind it. Sibelius has come a long way in that direction, while Finale no longer fits that bill. I found a better tool for my purposes. It is that simple.

Best wishes,

Sebastian Huydts

Sebastian Huydts

Post Edited (Sebastian Huydts) : 11/9/2006 5:19:50 PM (GMT-6)

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 11/10/2006 4:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have seen both good and bad setting in Finale, and both good and bad in Sibelius. Operator skill is a bigger issue than the shortcomings of either application. I have spent 17 years learning Finale to the standard I can now use it. If I changed to Sibelius (and I have no intention or need to do so, yet), I cannot easily replace that experience. I stay with Finale because I cannot invest the time necessary to get equally good setting in Sibelius. I know it's possible for most things because I've seen it done. Each have things they cannot do, each has bugs, each can produce good setting. I would not be surprised if Finale gained users frustrated by problems in Sibelius just as Sebastian is doing the opposite. I'm sure it all evens out in the end.

Peter
Music Publishing Services

Mac 1.2GHz Dual G4, 1.25GB RAM /OSX.4.5 /20 inch CRT
Finale 2006d/2007
Logic Pro 7.1
Yamaha P-150 Electric Piano
MIDIMAN 2x2 interface
berhinger BCF2000 and BCR 2000