Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > FinaleScript - FORUM HAS MOVED! > (No Subject)

Forum Quick Jump

Is it a goot idea (should MM be:) "stealing" "Dynamic Parts" (score & parts in one document) from Sibelius?
Yes - 71.4%
No - 28.6%

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Karl-Johan Ankarblom
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Karl-Johan AnkarblomAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 1999
Total Posts : 35

Posted 6/16/2006 1:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Hi everyone!

I'm lurking around with ideas for plug-ins I've not yet seen for Finale.

Do you know anyone who would be interested in developing the following (I'm not near being a programmer myself) :

1. "Transposer"  When transposing arrangements more than a major second I find I in most cases want to revoice my chord-structures. This takes considerable time. It would be wonderful to have a tool like: "Please keep pitches within this range, then transpose" This would make the tool move the pitches of the chord around (moving, if necessary, bottom note to the top etc) so that the chord is keept in its original range. Imagine such a tool being applied to a whole righthand keyboard part, or even a complete Trombone-section on 4 staves!

2 "Jazz/Commercial Tools"  There are MANY tasks a commercial arranger/orchestrator will want to do that I haven't yet seen supported by Finale or any plug-ins.

a) Topline-notation. Add full chords, make the plug-in make only the topnote visable (stems up, and stem extended un octave under the toppitch) with the complete chord sounding in playback. Or for copyists: just ad the topnote and the plugin will turn the stem up and then extend the stem under the topnote. Would save SO MUCH time.

b) "Orchestrator"/Doubler, make the plug-in distribute tones according to lists the user termines himself. For ex: Piccolo 8va (according to the source selection), Flute loco, Oboe 1 loco, Oboe 2 loco, Clar 1, loco, Clar 2, 8vb etc etc

c) A clipboard!! Be able to copy and name sections like "Verse", "Bridge" etc on a userfriendly clipboard. Just drag and drop from a window into the score! I know one can use "Clip-files" but I think it should be easier and more accesible.

d) Immideate drummarkings! To be able to select a section of the Trumpet 1-part (for ex.) and the plug-in, in one click!, makes it into markings in the Drumpart! This also takes time right now...

And on and on...

Grateful for your thoughts!

All the best!

Karl-Johan Ankarblom

Allen J. Fisher
Engraver

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Allen J. FisherClick to Add ajfisher31 to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2004
Total Posts : 653

Posted 9/11/2006 11:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you really want a discussion on this, perhaps you should post to the main forum. This forum is specifically for Finale script Questions.

Ebony Ivory
On Ebony And Ivory I'll Tinkle All Day Long

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4594

Posted 9/11/2006 7:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Allen J. Fisher said...
If you really want a discussion on this, perhaps you should post to the main forum. This forum is specifically for Finale script Questions.

Glad to see you back again, Allen. This message was addressed to you, on this forum, a few days ago. Please let me try again:

Allen, the overall impression many of us have is that Finalescript is effectively dead in the water. Your interjection here suggests that some thought is, after all, being given to this within MakeMusic.

Could you, or one of your colleagues, please state publicly what is the current development status Finalescript?

Oh, and as a side issue, let me know with this forum prevents me from spelling it with its "S" as a capital?

Brian

On ebony and ivory I'll tinkle all day long

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 9/12/2006 10:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ebony Ivory said...
Allen J. Fisher said...

Glad to see you back again, Allen. This message was addressed to you, on this forum, a few days ago. Please let me try again:

Allen, the overall impression many of us have is that Finalescript is effectively dead in the water. Your interjection here suggests that some thought is, after all, being given to this within MakeMusic.

Could you, or one of your colleagues, please state publicly what is the current development status Finalescript?

Oh, and as a side issue, let me know with this forum prevents me from spelling it with its "S" as a capital?

Brian

I can at least provide a partial answer for the first question. Improvements to Finalescript are still suggested and considered. The decision on whether to actually do it depends on priority. For Finale 2006 and 2007, other tasks were assigned to Robert that were deemed to have a higher priority. It's the same as with many other things in Finale. Lyrics for example have needed a major upgrade for years. But the fact that they haven't been upgraded extensively (they have seen some tweaks) doesn't mean the company won't ever come back to them. We've seen long lulls in activity in other areas as well, such as tuplets, expressions, and part extraction, all of which received substantial modification in recent years. I know people, including Robert, still push for changes in Finalescript, and as long as that happens, there will be the possibility that upgrades will occur. I also expect that it hasn't been determined with any certainty what changes will occur next and when they will be implemented.

Windows XP, all updates

Real Time Finale Discussion - FinaleIRC.Com

Ebony Ivory

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005

Posted 9/13/2006 3:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the update, Tyler.

Funnily, Lyrics is one thing which has improved considerably between 2003 and 2005 - at least in respect of their behaviour in Mass Edit: in 2003, copying a section of music with Lyrics and pasting it elsewhere introduced the lyrics into another verse, changing the baseline: in 2005, the words are tagged onto the existing verse, keeping the baseline the same.

But are HP and Finalescript really part of one man's job? And (dare I ask) is Robert actually a full time member of MakeMusic staff, or an independent freelance programmer?

Please note: The above isn't meant as an attack on Robert - or MM - but it would be useful to understand the amount of available effort going into these areas, if only to gain meaningful expectations of future development!

Brian

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 9/13/2006 3:18 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ebony Ivory said...

But are HP and Finalescript really part of one man's job? And (dare I ask) is Robert actually a full time member of MakeMusic staff, or an independent freelance programmer?

I believe Robert is a freelance programmer, though I'm not privy to the details of his contract with MakeMusic and what responsibilities it entails. I do know that he has been working pretty regularly on Finale projects for the last several years. And yes, HP and Finalescript are all his work, with small bits of modifications to Finale and the PDK to allow Robert to make them work.

Windows XP, all updates

Real Time Finale Discussion - FinaleIRC.Com

Ebony Ivory

Date Joined Dec 2005

Posted 9/13/2006 3:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Tyler said...
Ebony Ivory said...

I believe Robert is a freelance programmer, though I'm not privy to the details of his contract with MakeMusic and what responsibilities it entails. I do know that he has been working pretty regularly on Finale projects for the last several years. And yes, HP and Finalescript are all his work, with small bits of modifications to Finale and the PDK to allow Robert to make them work.

Thanks for the info!

Brian

KennethKen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit KennethKen's website.Send a Private Message to KennethKenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 2570

Posted 9/13/2006 7:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Brian and Tyler in a non-aggressive, even congenial, exchange - Now I've seen everything.lol

Ken

http://www.AmisMusicalCircle.com
Brass music, Woodwind Music, Concert Band Music, CDs, etc.

Ebony Ivory

Date Joined Dec 2005

Posted 9/13/2006 8:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
KennethKen said...
Brian and Tyler in a non-aggressive, even congenial, exchange - Now I've seen everything. lol

Ken

Aw dog'awn sh*t - don't tell me I got out of the wrong side of bed this morning! lol

Brian

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 9/13/2006 4:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Given the Robert is lurking around here but has ignored Finalescript questions here and in the Windows forum, I think it's safe to pronounce Finalescript dead. In answer to a Finalescript question to support recently, they as much as told me so ("no plans to update it" or something like that).

(Finale 2005b on Windows XP)

Ebony Ivory

Date Joined Dec 2005

Posted 9/13/2006 5:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
motet said...
Given the Robert is lurking around here but has ignored Finalescript questions here and in the Windows forum, I think it's safe to pronounce Finalescript dead. In answer to a Finalescript question to support recently, they as much as told me so ("no plans to update it" or something like that).

Given that it's apparently one man, and not even a full MM staffer at that, but a freelancer, who is singly responsible both for Finalescript and Human Playback, and that it's the latter about which most people seem to be clamouring for improvements and bug fixes, it doesn't strike me as rocket surgery to deduce that Finalescript is, at the very least, on the back burner.

Considering the circumstances, its kinda funny having an entire forum conference dedicated to it!

And I still can't get that d@mn UPPERCASE "S" in "Finalescript". :-)

Brian