Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > New forum question  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

ebiggs1
Registered Member

Click to send ebiggs1 email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ebiggs1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001
Total Posts : 722

Posted 12/11/2016 10:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I really don't get the new Finale forum. Is is run by MM? Ads all over the place? A Sib forum, too? A Cakewalk forum?
I guess MM has the right to do whatever they see fit but with all the suspect decisions lately I wonder. I have no reason to believe this decision will be reversed.
The big question, are we all migrating over to it? Maybe they need the ad revenue?

Music makes the difference!
Finale 2014.5 *-* Finale 25
Dell XPS 8500 Intel Core i7 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM, 64 bit OS Windows 10

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 12/11/2016 11:01 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Which forum are you talking about. This one: /makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/topics or this: www.finaleforum.com/index.php?

The first one is MakeMusic's amateurish and seriously flawed attempt to replace this forum. The 2nd one is a privately-run forum that has been around since 1994 and has links to other forums. It has nothing to do with MakeMusic. I have joined the second one, but will not even look at anything posted in the first one.

Finale 25.2

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 12/11/2016 11:12 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ron beat me to it. However, I'll add that I think the advertisements on finaleforum.com are there to cover the costs and to make running that forum possible.

I don't know how these adverts work, but at least some of them seem to relate to the user's (approximate) locality. Amongst the ones I've seen when using finaleforum.com are adverts about programmes by the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra and the Royal Opera House Covent Garden, which I suspect are not shown to US users.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014d & 2014.5 with Mac 10.9.5 & 10.11.6
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

“We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” JFK

ebiggs1
Registered Member

Click to send ebiggs1 email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ebiggs1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2001

Posted 12/11/2016 12:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK thanx, I was on the wrong one I guess. I will try out the 'new' real Finale forum.

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/11/2016 12:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ebiggs1 said...
A Sib forum, too?

Are you by chance referring to the "Sibelius Blog"? It has been referenced on this forum often. It is run by Philip Rothman, also a Finale user and member of this forum. In spite of the name, Philip offers news on other software and general topics relating to music engraving and desktop publishing. I'd suggest you give it a look and subscribe to new postings.

www.sibeliusblog.com/

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/11/2016 1:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No, there's just a link to Sibelius's website, among others (Vanagon Hacks?!), at the top of finaleforum.com. I hope you will join us there, N.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

bvstudios
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bvstudiosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2010
Total Posts : 156

Posted 12/11/2016 8:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Actually, I have Ghostery working and on the Finale Forum (www.finaleforum dot com), it's kept ads to a bare minimum- all two of them are blocked. Yes, the links to the other fora are there at the top of the page, but not much else except Finale content. At least not until you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, but those ads are contained and do not really get in the way of any info you may be seeking.

And I don't see a lot of ads even on the new MM forum...

Could the OP maybe enlighten us with a URL for the ad-plagued one?

K M Frye

Finale 2014.5, PM 2011, 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2000

GPO4, WORLD, JABB3

M-Audio, Boss JS8, Roland VSC-55 Sound Canvas, Rhodes 660 workstation, Roland MC-50 composer (yeh- it's old, but it works if you can find the floppies), Reaper 4.32
Windows 7

Post Edited (bvstudios) : 12/11/2016 7:58:43 PM (GMT-6)

ebiggs1
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2001

Posted 12/12/2016 9:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
" I will try out the 'new' real Finale forum.

Checked out the new 'real' MM site. I joined it. I hope the activity picks up soon. Nothing like this one but who knows? If the old regulars here don't migrate it isn't going to be nearly as useful, to me at least.
Why was a new site needed?

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/12/2016 10:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You'll be lonely over there. I think that MM is counting on us being full of bluster and that we'll give in and migrate. Not going to happen for me, in any case. I will work hard to make www.finaleforum.com a vital and valuable resource, but will have nothing to do with this zendesk excuse for a forum.

Finale 25.2

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/12/2016 9:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
bvstudios said...
Actually, I have Ghostery working and on the Finale Forum (www.finaleforum dot com), it's kept ads to a bare minimum- all two of them are blocked.

You do realize that the proprietors of said forum are here and rely on the ads to pay for it?

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

bvstudios
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bvstudiosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2010

Posted 12/12/2016 10:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
bvstudios said...
Actually, I have Ghostery working and on the Finale Forum (www.finaleforum dot com), it's kept ads to a bare minimum- all two of them are blocked.

You do realize that the proprietors of said forum are here and rely on the ads to pay for it?

Of course, and in the normal course of events, I actually have their site (and this one) marked as "trusted" in Ghostery, so there is no interference with it. However, I turned the app on as a test just to see what -if anything- was different, and the results are quite benign. Two trackers, one tied to site analytics, and one ad at the top of the page currently touting Operation Smile.

Rampant with advertising, their site is not.

Unlike some.

K M Frye

GPO4, WORLD, JABB3

M-Audio, Boss JS8, Roland VSC-55 Sound Canvas, Rhodes 660 workstation, Roland MC-50 composer (yeh- it's old, but it works if you can find the floppies), Reaper 4.32
Windows 7

ebiggs1
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2001

Posted 12/13/2016 4:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Unless the real MM site picks up I am probably done.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 12/13/2016 8:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I will try the real MM site. And definitely participate in finaleforum.com. Along with Zuill, Peter Thomsen has probably been the biggest help to me here over the years.

Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 12/14/2016 8:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ebiggs1 said...
Why was a new site needed?

We all wonder.

Finale 25.
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 12/14/2016 12:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Likely MM was sold the idea that Zendesk could consolidate all its support functions (knowledge base, phone inquiry notes, help desk, web content management, consumer relations) all in one suite of products. Perhaps this works better for SmartMusic than it does for Finale. But with any suite, some product are less suitable, and in this case, whatever strengths Zendesk may have, its Forum UI stinks for users. (Perhaps it works for the support staff at MM, so they don't notice.)

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25.1 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum, Dorico)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Zoots
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZootsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 385

Posted 12/14/2016 12:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
That's my take on it too, Derrek.

Finale 2012c
JABB3/Aria

Smartscore Pro X2

Windows 10

Intel i7 with more than I need

ebiggs1
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2001

Posted 12/14/2016 12:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well MM rarely chimes in here so how hard or much trouble is running or allowing this site to exist?
Again most of us feel the new MM management has made some wrong or incorrect decisions. Past behavior indicates this will not change.
Perhaps they know better than us, let's hope.

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 12/14/2016 1:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
ebiggs1 said...
Well MM rarely chimes in here so how hard or much trouble is running or allowing this site to exist?
Again most of us feel the new MM management has made some wrong or incorrect decisions. Past behavior indicates this will not change.
Perhaps they know better than us, let's hope.

I'ver never known a senior businessman to admit one of his policy decisions was a mistake. If things don't work out, they invariably blame the junior staff members, the "economic climate," or spout some other excuse to shift the blame elsewhere.

Finale 25.2

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Post Edited (Ron.) : 12/14/2016 5:00:48 PM (GMT-6)

bvstudios
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2010

Posted 12/14/2016 1:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Derrek- seems no one is reacting to your ironic post over in the MM forum. One would think that a very public note saying in effect "We're not closing this one down!" would be in order, but..

Scant attention, even from those who want us to use it seems to be the order of the day, doesn't it?

K M Frye

GPO4, WORLD, JABB3

Windows 7