Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > xml and keyless signatures  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Éric Dussault
Finale 2011 Mac user

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Éric DussaultAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2002
Total Posts : 778

Posted 11/17/2016 11:22 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am having problems importing .xml when Finale decides that it is a keyless signature. All notes get transposed/altered in a way that can’t be repaired with the transpose features. It is time-consuming to repair this and I haven’t found a setting yet to import them so that they are at the same pitch in the resulting file.

Anyone experimenting this?

Éric Dussault
Mac Finale 2012
iMac 27 inches, 12 GB Ram
Mac OS 10.11.4

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 11/18/2016 3:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Post a sample XML file along with MUSX/PDFs of before and after results.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 10586)

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB [Display adapter]
ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, Realtek HD Audio

Finale 2014.5.6359, Finale 25.1.0.182
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0
Sharpeye 2.68, PhotoScore Ultimate 7.0.2, SmartScore X2 Pro 10.5.8

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeHalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 217

Posted 11/21/2016 10:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The problem is not likely to be Finale. Different apps handle MusicXML export differently—even those that all support 3.0. It depends on how it was implemented.

I have seven applications with XML 3.0 support and I sat down and exported the same file from each, then imported each into Finale. Finale and SmartScore X2 Pro were the best (makes sense). MuseScore was the worst. Logic and Digital Performer needed a bit of editing and Overture was OK. Notion wasn't that bad. Even exporting from Finale and importing back wasn't clean.

Then there are still some out there that support older versions such as Encore that only supports MusicXML 1.3.

Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2011c, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.07, GPO 5
2010 iMac i7, 32G RAM, 2T SSD, Late 2013 MacBook Air, OS 10.12.1
MOTU Digital Performer 9.12, 9.02, Logic Pro X 10.2.4

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 11/22/2016 12:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just learned something interesting about Dorico's export to XML. This is how I reported it in the Dorico forum:

'I thought I'd try exporting as an XML something I'd notated from scratch in Dorico and then import it into Finale to see what survived the journey. I was dismayed to notice that none of the accidental alterations was recognised and the piece was transformed into a diatonic version devoid of alterations, so basically useless. I tried this with a couple of files and this remained the case each time. Interestingly, Sibelius didn't have this problem, so there's apparently a way Dorico encodes its XMLs which is only understood by Steinberg products. [BTW, this was an oversight on my part. Sibelius has nothing to do with Steinberg.] So, a warning to Finale users: exporting from Dorico into Finale doesn't work. Fortunately, importing an XML from Finale into Dorico does work.'

This was answered by Daniel Spreadbury as follows:

'The problem is that Dorico doesn't yet export explicit accidentals, though it does export all of the pitches correctly. However, Finale's import reasonably assumes that if no accidentals are declared in the MusicXML file, it shouldn't show any accidentals, so again, the pitches should be imported correctly, but all of the accidentals will be hidden. I don't know whether Finale provides an easy way to reset the visibility settings of all accidentals (in Dorico, it would be to select all the notes and do Edit > Reset Appearance), but if so, try that.

I have already been in touch with Michael Good at MakeMusic about this, and he suggests that in lieu of us actually exporting accidentals explicitly, we should include a <supports> element in the MusicXML file that would allow Finale to do the right thing. Hopefully we will be able to address this problem – either by exporting accidentals properly or by adding the <supports> element to let Finale know explicitly that we don't export them – soon, though not, I'm afraid, in the imminent 1.0.10 update.'

Another user of the forum suggested running Finale's Canonic Utilities plugin which has a 'Clear Frozen Accidentals' function. This effectively causes all the suppressed accidentals in Finale to be displayed, so one can actually perform the XML translation Dorico -> Finale. BTW, exporting XML from Finale and importing it in Dorico goes very well. Of course, there are notational elements that Dorico doesn't understand, so these have to be re-entered.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 11/22/2016 9:49 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

My 2¢

MusicXML is MusicXML, as defined by the specification.  When a product says it supports MusicXML, you cannot blindly take that to mean that every part of the MusicXML specification is supported by that product.  Only the parts of the MusicXML specification, either the current 3.0 or previous versions, that are implemented in the product's engine that exports their native notation file to a MusicXML file, and inversely takes a MusicXML file and imports it back into their native notation file, will be supported by a given engine.  Some product engines are better than others, as MikeHalloran and Vaughan have inferred in their posts.

Fortunately for us Finale users, since MusicXML is now a part of MakeMusic, we can install the latest and greatest engine, Dolet, that supports the most parts of the specification.  Dolet is kept up-to-date with revisions on a timely manner to reflect the latest MusicXML spec and implementation thereof.

Some concepts that are done in a notation program like Finale might not be in the MusicXML specification, and therefore must be emulated in MusicXML during the export process.  Similarly, when importing back into the notation program, a particular concept in the MusicXML might be implemented natively in the notation program.  Each notation program does things its own way, but there is only one MusicXML.

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

Post Edited (Charles Lawrence) : 11/22/2016 9:02:23 AM (GMT-6)

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 11/22/2016 9:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The lack of explicit accidental export is pretty serious but fortunately there's an easy workaround to take care of it. You do need to be aware of it, though.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 11/22/2016 10:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vaughan said...
The lack of explicit accidental export is pretty serious ...
No argument from me!  The Dorico engine is not yet ready for prime time.

Garritan GPO4.02

Mike Halloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mike HalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 105

Posted 11/22/2016 7:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Of course, amongst all of this speculating, the OP never came back with the cause of the problem i. e. the name of the application generating the MusicXML file that gives Finale such bad results.

So, to the OP: try a MIDI export instead until the mystery app improves its XML export.

Mike Halloran

Finale 25.1 & 2014.5, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.0.7
2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad w/ OWC eSATA mod, 20G RAM, OS 10.12.1, 2T SSD
DP 9.1, 8.07, 7.24, Logic Pro X 10.2.4, DSP-Quattro, PSP, IK, NI, Eventide, Izotope & Antares plugins
G4 running OS 10.4.11 & 9.2 with legacy apps

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 11/22/2016 8:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MusicXML import for open key signatures should also be much improved in Finale 2014 and later, where there is full support for this feature. Otherwise the music gets imported with independent key signatures if there are any transposing parts.

Michael Good
VP of MusicXML Technologies
MakeMusic, Inc.