Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Windows 10 Compatibility  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

dsgd247
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dsgd247AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 6

Posted 12/30/2015 3:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I know that Finale Guitar 2003 is a legacy product and as such is no longer supported, but I like it and hope to get some help.

It ran fine under Windows 8.1. I upgraded my machine to Windows 10 last night and Finale Guitar no longer works. (Unhandled exception)

Has anyone else seen this happen with old Finale products? Do you have any suggestions on how to get it working again?

Thanks,
Dan

(Reverting to Windows 8.1 is not an acceptable solution!)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/30/2015 3:44 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Does Win 10 have the option to run programs in Compatibility Mode? If so, you might try that.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Dallas417
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dallas417AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 24

Posted 12/30/2015 11:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Finale 2008 worked for me in Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8 but not Windows 10. Finale 2014 seems to work in Windows 10.

dsgd247
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to dsgd247AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 12/31/2015 11:19 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, it has compatibility mode, but none of them seem to make it work.

Dan

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/31/2015 11:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The sound card sometimes causes problems with Finale. Maybe Win 10 replaced the manufacturer's driver with the generic Windows one. Try reinstalling the best driver and see if that helps.

Zuill

dsgd247
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 12/31/2015 2:09 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It behaves the same way on several different PCs. Changing the audio drivers does not make a difference.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/31/2015 2:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Looks like you might be out of luck. Did you reinstall it after upgrading to Win 10?

Zuill

Zoots
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZootsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 385

Posted 12/31/2015 3:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The normal thing to try in a situation like this after the obvious is exhausted is to uninstall and reinstall. Since I assume this was an in-place upgrade the other thing to do is to do a clean install of Windows 10 and your applications. Could by a fair bit of work depending on how much stuff you have on your PC but it may be the only way and on the downside, it may not work either.

Once your PC has been registered for Windows 10 which happened when you upgraded, you can do a clean install and there will be no activation problems.

Finale 2012c
JABB3/Aria

Smartscore Pro X2

Windows 10

Intel i7 with more than I need

dsgd247
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 12/31/2015 3:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since the problem shows up on different machines, I don't think that a clean install of Windows 10 is the answer. It doesn't matter whether it was a in-place upgrade or one in which Windows 10 came preinstalled.

saxop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 261

Posted 1/1/2016 1:49 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You could probably rule the sound card issue out completely by downloading the demo for 2014 and making sure it runs properly. I assume you've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Finale Guitar. I don't know if it would reveal anything, but you could also experiment with hiding the finmidi.dll file just to see if you get further or get a different error message.

dsgd247
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 1/1/2016 2:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Finale 2014 demo runs just fine under Win10. Hiding finmidi.dll didn't change a thing.

saxop
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to saxopAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2007
Total Posts : 261

Posted 1/1/2016 9:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
dsgd247 said...
The Finale 2014 demo runs just fine under Win10. Hiding finmidi.dll didn't change a thing.

Did that version have a finmid32.dll? I've forgotten how all that used to work, but if it's not giving a different error message, then it's probably failing on something other than audio driver initialization. I can't really think of anything that would likely help if Zuill's idea for compatibility mode didn't. I suppose you could look for other .dll files inside the Finale app folder, and if there are any, see if you could find newer versions of any of them, just in case the API is the same but the internals have changed. I don't think there's really any hope for that approach, though. If you have any old versions of Windows on DVD, you could possibly try installing a VM - maybe VirtualBox running XP or something - I haven't tried anything like that in a long time.

If upgrading to another Finale product isn't an option, you might take a look at a free program like MuseScore. I'm sure the current version is highly competitive with the older Finale Guitar overall, though there will certainly be pluses and minuses.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 1/1/2016 11:24 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Try reinstalling 2003 as administrator.

Zuill

dsgd247
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 1/1/2016 10:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I already tried installing it as administrator. No change.

It has finmid32.dll, finmid16.dll, and finmidi.dll. I tried hiding all three in various combinations, to no avail. The only error message that I get it the pop up window "Finale Guitar 2003 for Windows has stopped working". When I try running it through the debugger, it just says that there is an unhandled exception.

I am hoping that someone else has seen this problem and found a fix.