Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > No name (Untitled) when printing to PDF?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

BvdPress
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BvdPressAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 1006

Posted 8/22/2016 12:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I took the plunge and went for Finale 25. So far, just a few crashes but I find it generally a little peppier than 2014.X.

One issue so far:

I like the idea of the new printing window, but when one prints to PDF the file name is now lost? Am I missing a place to have the name still attached to name of the new file? Not every file can be titled "untitled" :)

Also, if one adds multiple copies, I think the box should automatically be checked to have a part printed. It does not need to be a two-check process.

Bryan Doughty
BVD Press, Music Express, BrassWorks4, Timber Ridge Music,
Kiwi Press, Serendipity Press and Cimarron Music Press
bvdpress@gmail.com
http://www.cimarronmusic.com/

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 8/22/2016 5:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I reported this on Friday and got a message back today.

It is a known bug, and they want to fix it. In the meantime, when the "untitled" box shows up, you can click on one of the greyed-out filenames to make it take on that name. The instrument name will be appended if you are printing linked part, otherwise " - Score" will be appended. This is a giant drag for anyone printing out copies of pre-2007 files that don't have linked parts.

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5

BvdPress
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BvdPressAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001

Posted 8/22/2016 5:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Chris. A drag as I convert everything to PDF as soon as it is done. Oh well.

I like the new feature, but as always MakeMusic half baked the feature. New owners and the same philosophy. Ugh.

I am enjoying what appears to be a peppier program though!

Bryan Doughty
bvdpress@gmail.com

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 8/22/2016 6:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And I sure don't need the "score" added on. There should be an option to turn it off, if parts have not been generated.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

BvdPress
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2001

Posted 8/22/2016 7:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ditto to what Mike said.

Bryan Doughty
bvdpress@gmail.com

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 8/22/2016 7:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
BvdPress said...
So far, just a few crashes

Damning with faint praise!

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

BvdPress
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2001

Posted 8/22/2016 8:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hey now, I said something almost positive!

I am actually impressed with the speed of just getting around the score now. This 25 version is great for this. 10 charts down and really little to no real issues at all.

I just cannot stand a half-baked feature and if "Special Tools" were quicker (it is dreadfully slow since 2014), I would be heaping praise on Finale for not adding a ton of new things and rather just fixing or improving.

Bryan Doughty
bvdpress@gmail.com

John Moody
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John MoodyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 249

Posted 8/28/2016 5:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Not only is there no name, but the program totally stalls out if you have a score size that is different than the part sizes. You get a dialogue saying the some pages don't match printing sizes, or something like that, and neither given button does anything. I have had to force close Finale 25 when that has happened. The ONLY way I have been able to print those files is through opening them up in Finale 2014.5. Thank goodness there is now backwards compatibility! I don't know what people would do who do not have a copy of Finale 2014. I'm hoping this bug is fixed quickly!

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 8/28/2016 7:47 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
When I do "Save As PDF" from the PDF button, I get a field where you can enter the filename. Then all parts are saved with that name, plus the score/part.

One option: If anyone wants to use my Print-to-PDF (or Postscript) print queues (or use the alternative CUPS-PDF print queue), then filenames are preserved when using it.

However, currently, in my queue you get the same filename for each score/part item, with a numerical incrementing suffix. I'll have a look to see if I'm not reading the incoming data properly, or if the incoming data is not right.

"This is me helping."

Finale v.25, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Post Edited (Wiggy) : 8/28/2016 7:50:35 AM (GMT-5)

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 8/28/2016 7:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
On the other hand, you can do your work in V. 25, then open the file in 2014.5 and take advantage of the old printing and PDF behaviours. You don't even have to downgrade the file; v. 25 are opened natively in 2014.5 (or 2014, for that matter).

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 8/29/2016 1:14 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Christopher Smith said...
On the other hand, you can do your work in V. 25, then open the file in 2014.5 and take advantage of the old printing and PDF behaviours. You don't even have to downgrade the file; v. 25 are opened natively in 2014.5 (or 2014, for that matter).

Except for the new features added: so dashed slurs will be converted to the old dashed lines in 2014.5, and auto double bars before key changes won't be there in 2014.

"This is me helping."

Finale v.25, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 8/29/2016 5:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since I usually save PDFs in the same (or very close by) folder as the Finale file, I get around the Untitled issue by simply clicking on the Finale file in the save window which selects the name and appends .pdf automatically. Not much of an inconvenience, really.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25, Sibelius 4 - 7
Robert Patterson plugins, waiting for Tobias' and Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.11.6
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

John Moody
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John MoodyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 8/29/2016 10:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Has anyone else tried printing something when the score and parts aren't the same paper size? Mine got stuck on the dialogue that said the paper size wasn't the same for all pages (or something like that), and I couldn't do anything but eventually force-quit Finale. Has anyone on this thread tried printing when the part sizes don't match the score size? I'd like to know if this is a problem with Finale, or if there is some option I didn't press. . .

John Moody
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2008

Posted 8/29/2016 4:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
To answer my own question, I tried it with some other scores I have with different sized part pages from the score pages, and printing worked. So, maybe the problem is with my one file.

John