Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Favorite piece of instrumental music?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
47 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

weeksc
Registered Member

Click to send weeksc email.Click to visit weeksc's website.Send a Private Message to weekscAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 349

Posted 7/11/2011 10:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

When I was about 10 my dad pulled out an old LP recording from his Reader's Digest collection of "classical" music.  The man had no musical training, and rarely listened to music, but he was excited to have me listen to this "great recording of some of the neatest music he had ever heard!"

It was Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.  And his eyes lit up when he heard the music and watched my reaction to it as we sat on the floor around that old portable record player.

I was hooked on "real" music from that day.

I can't say that Rite is my favorite, but it was my first.  :-)  

--Clancy
Finale 2008b
Intel 2.3 GHz Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, GeForce GT 440 video card
Creative Labs X-Fi Platinum sound card

I never claimed to know everything... I'm just right about the things I know!

gogreen
Registered Member

Click to send gogreen email.Click to visit gogreen's website.Send a Private Message to gogreenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1999
Total Posts : 1618

Posted 7/11/2011 10:35 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Brahms 4th Symphony
Beethoven 7th Symphony
Wagner Prelude to Die Meistersinger
Brahms Violin Concerto
Brahms Double Concerto
Gershwin An American in Paris
Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue

and a lot more.

Arthur J. Michaels

www.arthurjmichaels.com

Finale 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011b.r2 (using 2011b.r2), Garritan CoMB
Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496, M-Audio Keystation 88es
Logitech Z-2300 speaker system
AKG K-240 Studio headphones

Jesper Hendze
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Jesper HendzeAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 364

Posted 7/11/2011 10:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Bach's Sheep May Safely Graze" reminds me of the question: "who wrote Pachelbel's Canon?"
(I think it was asked in a music history exam of the trombone player, who failed at the question:
"how many symphonies did Beethoven write" when answering:"at least two, no. 5 and no. 9" (true story - I'm told))

PowerMac Dual 2 GHz, 3 Gb RAM, OS X 10.4.11
Finale 2009 and all previous versions (although Finale 2.0 is the oldest present on HD)
Garritan Personal Orchestra
Garritan Jazz & Big Band
Garritan Concert & Marching Band
XSample Chamber Ensemble
MIDI: Interface: emagic MT4
Keyboard: Korg X5D/Roland D50
Ensoniq MR Rack with expansion card (percussion)

kvehmane
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to kvehmaneAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 117

Posted 7/11/2011 10:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So the trombonist must have been a bass trombone player?

Les Preludes
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Les PreludesAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 229

Posted 7/11/2011 12:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
weeksc said...
When I was about 10 my dad pulled out an old LP recording from his Reader's Digest collection of "classical" music. The man had no musical training, and rarely listened to music, but he was excited to have me listen to this "great recording of some of the neatest music he had ever heard!"

It was Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. And his eyes lit up when he heard the music and watched my reaction to it as we sat on the floor around that old portable record player.

I can't say that Rite is my favorite, but it was my first. :-)

Many of those Reader's Digest recordings were very well planned, with top notch conductors, orchestras and great sound engineering. LP records in good shape fetch good prices in today's collector's market. Fortunately, many of these sets were donated to resale shops like Goodwill or Salvation Army and are relatively easy to find if you frequent these shops.

Les

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 7/11/2011 12:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The Readers Digest magazine was an embarrassment, though.

Are the recordings abridged? :-)

Finale 2011b, 2005b, TGTools
Windows XP

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 7/11/2011 12:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In The Netherlands, Reader's Digest was always called 'The Best from Reader's Digest'. This was what was printed on the cover and what you came to expect in doctors' waiting-rooms, etc. If that was the best, we always wondered what they'd done with the rest.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 2011c, Sibelius 4 - 6
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Dolet 5 plugin
MacOS 10.6.8
MacPro 6GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8GB
Kontakt 4.2

Amsterdam

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 7/11/2011 12:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm surprised to hear they were in the Netherlands. The magazine was full of bland features from the conservative American heartland: My Most Unforgetable Character, Life in These United States, Humor in Uniform, etc., that I suspect wouldn't sell anywhere else. I guess maybe there was an edition for foreign consumption.

Windows XP

Dave BTW
Bytheway Dave, what's your last name?

Click to send Dave BTW email.Click to visit Dave BTW's website.Send a Private Message to Dave BTWAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 1998
Total Posts : 421

Posted 7/11/2011 12:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I also grew up listening to the Reader's Digest recordings. I have looked in vain for some digital transcriptions or source material for some of the recordings. Some of the recordings were top notch and it is too bad the master tapes disappeared and have never surfaced for re-issue.

David Bytheway - Desktop Finale 2011 WinXP - TGTools - Nuendo 4.3 - Wavelab 6.1 - Reaper Beta 4 -RME Fireface 800

Les Preludes
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Les PreludesAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 229

Posted 7/11/2011 12:45 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
The Readers Digest magazine was an embarrassment, though.

Are the recordings abridged? :-)

No!!

As I stated, they were first class all the way. For example, John Barbirolli conducted a performance of the Sibelius 2nd symphony with the Royal Philharmonic. This recording is often cited as one of the best of this work. I would agree that it's right up there.

Les

Crotchet
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to CrotchetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 72

Posted 7/11/2011 5:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i wish Finale was named after a composer

Intel Pentium 1.6 GHz, Windows XP
Finale 2009

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 7/11/2011 5:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Vivian Fine?

Windows XP

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 7/11/2011 5:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
(Fine often paired with d'Indy.)

Windows XP

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 7/11/2011 7:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet,
Be ashamed. Be very ashamed.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster and bass for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
Bass for What's Cookin' www.whatscookinvlq.com
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b, 2011b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 7/11/2011 8:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
(Fine often paired with d'Indy.)

groan

it took me a while to get (you english-speakers and your mangling of our fair language!)

Michel R. Edward
Composer, teacher

Finale versions: 3.0 -> 2011b
currently installed: 2006c, 2007c, 2008a, 2009, 2010, 2011b
GPO 4, Garritan J&BB 3, CoMBand, Stradivari Violin, Gofriller Cello
Xsample Chamber Ensemble
Win XP

join us on
Compose Forums

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 7/11/2011 10:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm guessing the British mangle it even more. Rhymes with "Cindy," maybe? Oh, Brian...

Windows XP

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003

Posted 7/12/2011 12:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
I'm guessing the British mangle it even more. Rhymes with "Cindy," maybe? Oh, Brian...

it's actually a bit closer to "dainty".

"-in-" is a very nasal sound in French.

Michel R. Edward
Composer, teacher

Xsample Chamber Ensemble
Win XP

join us on
Compose Forums

Motet
Isorhythmic

Date Joined Dec 2002

Posted 7/12/2011 12:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was speculating that the British rhyme it with Cindy, not the French!

Each syllable stressed about the same, non?

Windows XP

Post Edited (Motet) : 7/12/2011 12:58:27 AM (GMT-5)

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 7/12/2011 12:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
hmmm, as in pretty much every French word, the real accent is on the last syllable. but granted, in this case, the accents are relatively close in weight... still "d'in-DY".
really, the closest I can come to an equivalent in English would be to say "dain-TY" (without actually pronouncing a solid "N" sound... just that nasal quality).

If I were to set his name to music, the 1st syllables of both his 1st name and family name would be on the weak beats of a measure, while the 2nd syllables of both names would be on strong beats.
in 4/4 it would be a pick-up beat, with a rest on the 4th beat

vin-|-CENT, d'in - DY (rest) |

Michel R. Edward
Composer, teacher

Xsample Chamber Ensemble
Win XP

join us on
Compose Forums

Post Edited (Michel R. E.) : 7/12/2011 1:02:20 AM (GMT-5)

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 7/12/2011 3:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
French is a beautiful language for spoken drama and verse, but it does present problems for singers. For a non-native French speaker, singing a word like 'l'œil' on a long note is not easy.

As for my favourite piece of instrumental music, I'd choose Beethoven's C sharp minor Quartet, Opus 131 first, with Bach's D minor Chaconne for solo violin a very close second.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2010b
Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 7/12/2011 9:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Arnold Schoenberg: Verklärte Nacht
Richard Strauss: Salome
Krzysztof Penderecki: Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima

Finale 2011b with Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.0,
JABB 3 and Concert & Marching Band 2,
Steinway: basic.
TGTools Pro
Win XP/Pro, Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB RAM

Creative XFi Xtreme Music sound card

Administrator, The Compose Forums http://www.composeforums.com

New format: Starting over. Check it out.

weeksc
Registered Member

Click to send weeksc email.Click to visit weeksc's website.Send a Private Message to weekscAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 349

Posted 7/12/2011 3:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Les Preludes said...
weeksc said...
When I was about 10 my dad pulled out an old LP recording from his Reader's Digest collection of "classical" music. The man had no musical training, and rarely listened to music, but he was excited to have me listen to this "great recording of some of the neatest music he had ever heard!"

It was Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. And his eyes lit up when he heard the music and watched my reaction to it as we sat on the floor around that old portable record player.

I can't say that Rite is my favorite, but it was my first. :-)

Many of those Reader's Digest recordings were very well planned, with top notch conductors, orchestras and great sound engineering. LP records in good shape fetch good prices in today's collector's market. Fortunately, many of these sets were donated to resale shops like Goodwill or Salvation Army and are relatively easy to find if you frequent these shops.

Les
I still have them.  I just found them after cleaning my dad's old house out.  Brought back a lot of memories.

--Clancy
Finale 2008b
Intel 2.3 GHz Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, GeForce GT 440 video card
Creative Labs X-Fi Platinum sound card

I never claimed to know everything... I'm just right about the things I know!