Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > 25.2-Improvement or problem?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
30 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/12/2016 11:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Peter Thomsen said...
Zuill said...
Windows does not do that automatically. Obviously Windows and Mac work quite differently …

This is really a surprise.

Take a look at Page 14 in the attached tutorial document where the trick is mentioned (entering - via computer keyboard and entry caret - a whole note on the second half of a 4/4 measure).

I always thought that the tutorial document “EntryExercises” was the same for Windows Finale and Mac Finale.
Perhaps I was wrong.

Peter

Windows has never worked that way, despite what the tutorial says. Quite a difference between Mac and Windows, I would say.

Zuill

P.S.: Okay, the tutorial is incomplete. it fails to specify computer keyboard with caret. It mentions this in the prior paragraph, but not in the one regarding this feature. I see now Peter did mention this, but I failed to notice it. I primarily use MIDI keyboard, but occasionally mouse in Simple for editing purposes. Rarely QWERTY entry. I now see this behavior with that method. I have always been careful to not enter the wrong number of notes in a measure, so I would not have tried to force the extra note value. The manual fails to describe this, from what I could find. And the tutorial should have mentioned specifically keyboard with caret. Oh well, another one of those lack of proper documentation issues, I guess.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/12/2016 11:40:18 PM (GMT-6)

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 12/13/2016 1:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
peerlessnerd said...
It’s official. Each Mac I have owned has been supported for a decreasing span of years.

Apple has for a long time officially supported Macs for 7 years, and no more. I don't think that has changed.

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Mike Halloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Mike HalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 105

Posted 12/13/2016 4:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dr. Wiggy said...
peerlessnerd said...
It’s official. Each Mac I have owned has been supported for a decreasing span of years.

Apple has for a long time officially supported Macs for 7 years, and no more. I don't think that has changed.

Officially, it's always been three years, the length of AppleCare.

The early 2009 iMacs cannot run Sierra; the late 2009 iMac can, however as well as the next OS so my 2010 will be seven years and going strong.

Only the earliest G5s lasted longer than 5 years. The late 2005 was done after 4. PPCs could not run OS 10.6, released in 2009 that required an Intel processor. There were G4s from 2006 (Mini, MacBook) that were obsolete within three.

Rosetta for 10.6 allowed many PPC apps to run over 10.6. With Lion (2011), only Universal apps ran on Intel processors. With 10.8.2 (2012), all compatible hardware had to support the 64bit kernel (you could still run apps in 32bit).

Mike Halloran

Finale 25.1 & 2014.5, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.0.7
2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad w/ OWC eSATA mod, 20G RAM, OS 10.12.1, 2T SSD
DP 9.1, 8.07, 7.24, Logic Pro X 10.2.4, DSP-Quattro, PSP, IK, NI, Eventide, Izotope & Antares plugins
G4 running OS 10.4.11 & 9.2 with legacy apps

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 12/13/2016 5:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Halloran said...
Officially, it's always been three years, the length of AppleCare.

Perhaps "supported" was the wrong word. Apple declares hardware "vintage" after 5 years and "obsolete" after 7 years, and you cannot even get it fixed for ready money at an Apple Store if it's obsolete. This frequently corresponds with lack of software support. There's certainly no evidence that Apple is shortening the obsolescence time period, as peerlessnerd suggested, though as you point out there have been some hardware changes in the past that have limited software support. However, I think Apple continued to provide updates and security patches to PPC Macs on Leopard even after 10.6 was released.

AppleCare is just an extended warrantee (which is frequently provided by statutory laws in many places anyway).

/support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Post Edited (Dr. Wiggy) : 12/13/2016 4:35:56 PM (GMT-6)

peerlessnerd
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to peerlessnerdAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2000
Total Posts : 333

Posted 12/13/2016 9:40 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Again to be a little more specific, my Macs lasted 7 to 9 "Finale Years," where a combination of mandatory new operating systems plus new Finale versions eventually made further upgrades impossible on the elderly computers. I can still run Finale 1.0 on my G3 under system 8, and even Professional Composer. Not that I would want to do that. I will be able to run Finale 25.2 on El Capitan on my Mac Pro forever too. Eventually I will be overcome by the need for faster machines, newer systems, and improved Finale.

That interval between hardware upgrades continues to shrink. I suppose it is inevitable.

Finale V25.2
Early 2008 Mac Pro Quad-Core 3,1
El Capitan 10.11.6