Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Creating a Smaltz effect in Finale 14  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Bearcublandon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BearcublandonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2009
Total Posts : 56

Posted 9/13/2015 11:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I writing a dance score where I want the horns to play forte at the beginning of the beat (the note duration is over 3 beats) then decrescendo to p then crescendo back to forte within the 1st beat of the measurement (do this really fast - kind of bending the note audibly if possible). I remember hearing this effect played by a trumpet player back in the 60's (it was some sort of latin dance piece that was being performed). I think this effect is called "schmaltz" (it might be called by another term musically but this all I know how to describe it. I can't seem to find a definition when I google it).

Is there a way in Finale to write this in a score. Right now I''m using trying to mimic this effect by using dynamics and hairpins but it isn't creating the effect that I want

Michael

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 9/13/2015 1:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have no idea what it has to do with music, but schmaltz is rendered chicken fat: the kosher equivalent of lard.

I remember my father eating it spread on challah.

More than you want to know: /en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmaltz

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014d, on Yosemite 10.10.4
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 9/13/2015 1:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The broader meaning is "sentimental" or "maudlin" (though not so pejorative), maybe because schmaltz is unctuous.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Finale 2014d demo
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Bearcublandon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BearcublandonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2009

Posted 9/13/2015 5:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you for your responses. I saw the definition of Schmaltz as well. However, I heard this effectgwhen I was kind on an LP when I was in kid (back in 63 and 64 time period) but I can't remember the name of the song but I can hear the solo in my head.

I think I'm trying to do a combnation of a bend and a glissando on the same note where right after the initial note attach the sound quickly diminishes and then comes back up. I watched a video on trumpet techinques and this is the closed the effect I could find. There is a technique called the "squeeze" but the sound doesn't bounce back to it's original volume.

Michael

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 9/14/2015 10:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Sounds as if you want a fp followed by a cresc.

Finale 2014d - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Dean L. Surkin
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dean L. SurkinAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 12

Posted 9/18/2015 10:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Could the OP possibly have misheard the word "sforzando?" The effect he describes is a forte sforzando followed by decrescendo and then a a crescendo.

Dean L. Surkin
Finale 2014, Garritan GPO & JABB
Intel i7-4770K CPU, Gigabyte motherboard, 32 GB RAM, Samsung SSD 1 TB, Western Digital 1.5 TB data disk, HP z30w monitor, RME AIO soundcard
Kawai M8, Yamaha KX-76
Steinway A104030 (1902), restored 1988

Bearcublandon
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2009

Posted 9/18/2015 10:51 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I was trying to get a jazz effect but it looks like, as Michel had mentioned, Garritan doesn't have this effect in it's normal library. They did say that their Jazz library will allow you to create some special effects but you have to skilled in using mod wheels etc - which I'm not.

Yes, the effect you've described is something like that. I played around with doing that but from what I was able to do it didn't sound naturally.

I tried the dynamics effect on a half note but if I break out the half note into eight notes and apply different dynamic levels that might work (I just thought of this now).

What I ended up doing was creating an embellishment (e.g. grace notes etc) but it isn't exactly what I want. And, on top of this, I have the melody played by a horn and it might be more difficult for a horn player to have as much control over this effect than a trumpet player.

When I get further along with the piece I'll post it online because I do have some concerns about what I'm doing and will some advice to help me make it sound really nice.

Thanks for your help,

Michael

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 9/18/2015 10:54 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dean L. Surkin said...
Could the OP possibly have misheard the word "sforzando?" The effect he describes is a forte sforzando followed by decrescendo and then a a crescendo.

You make a good point. The OP mentioned dynamics as the main effect he remembered. Dynamics alone may not necessarily mean "schmaltzy". It's usually a combination of dynamics, excess of rubato, lots of portamento (slides), and a generally corny, overly sentimental, dated way of performing a tune. Lawrence Welk and Guy Lombardo were "schmaltzy". My view on the matter, though.

N.

Finale 2011c, 2012c - OSX 10.6.8
Finale 2014d - OSX 10.8.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

“The old idea of a composer suddenly having a terrific idea and sitting up all night to write it is nonsense. Nighttime is for sleeping.”
–Benjamin Britten