Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Natural Accidental in Jazz Text Chord symbol?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

busoni
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to busoniAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2001
Total Posts : 3

Posted 4/12/2002 9:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Using Finale 2002b, I am making a jazz chart in the key of D Major (i.e., with the two sharps, F# and C# in the key signature). In a certain measure I have two D half notes on the staff, over which I put the following chords:
D/F# Bb/F

I want the bass note on the second chord symbol to explicitly include the natural sign (because: not only is the F normally sharped in the key signature, but also since the previous chord had an F# in the bass, and I want to avoid confusion and emphasis the descending bass line.)

Unlike the sharp and flat keys, there is no special substitute symbol for the natural sign (i.e., the way a lower case b will convert to the flat sign). Therefore, I am entering alt+0136 in the Jazz Text font set to get the natural sign. However, though I can successfully type in the natural sign, either in the Manual Input or Type Into Score, whenever I hit the key it disappears, thus leaving only Bb/F (without the natural sign).

It seems that there must be some suppression option for accidentals somewhere, but I cannot seem to find it. (The plug-ins and speedy entry options seem to be for notes only, not chords). Can anyone suggest a way to get the natural sign to stay? (I would prefer not to tag on a text symbol since this would not convert when I transpose the charts for players using instruments in other keys).

Thanks.
Richard Del Pizzo

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 4/12/2002 11:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Richard:

Well, here's one way to do it; I simply created a custom chord suffix for the second chord. (I had to use Jazz, not JazzText, for the natural sign; it's alt+0110.)

I hope someone can suggest an easier way. I have always hated the Chord Suffix Editor because I think that it's way more complicated that it needs to be, but whatever gets you through the night...

On the subject of which, I'm off to play a performance of Gypsy.

Cheers.

Gary

busoni
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to busoniAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2001

Posted 4/13/2002 4:37 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Gary. Indeed this works and I'll use this solution for the time being. The only drawback is that when I transpose the chart to another key, the F natural stays an F natural as opposed to transposing with all the other chord symbols to its appropriate pitch in the new key. I guess there is no way to create a chord symbol using the Chord Suffix Editor that would allow itself to be transposed? (Trying to keep track of such hard-coded notes could turn into a logistical nightmare).

Hope your performance went well. . .
Cheers,
Richard

GT
It was some other guy.

Click to send GT email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GTAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2001
Total Posts : 1434

Posted 4/13/2002 7:19 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Richard:

You're right. When I used the Staff Tool to set various transpositions for the example I posted, the first chord transposed correctly but the second one didn't. I can't think of another workaround other than to keep a pencil and paper handy and mark wherever this happens so you can fix it manually.

(As as aside, I don't know what your chart looks like, but which instruments other than keyboard and bass really need to see the chord changes? But that's beside the point; I hate it when I can't find a reasonable way to get Finale to do what I want.)

This is definitely something you should e-mail to Coda (winsupport@makemusic.com) as a feature request. It won't solve your problem now, but maybe in a future version, the Chord Tool will be less clunky.

Cheers.

Gary

busoni
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2001

Posted 4/13/2002 8:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Gary,

Thanks for the feedback.
FYI - The charts I am currently making up are Real Book style, not total band/orchestra arrangements. As such, the sax player in my group likes the the changes as a reference for soloing.

As you suggested, I sent an email to Coda for future reference.

Cheers,
Richard