Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Customizing a percussion map  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Edward Windels
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Edward WindelsClick to Add 308 West 103rd Street to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2011
Total Posts : 238

Posted 11/25/2016 5:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Editing a percussion layout. What am I missing / doing wrong?
I want to add a woodblock in to (essentially) the basic percussion map.
- Gone in to score manager
- Clicked Settings next to the Percussion dropdown menu
- Selected the appropriate staff and clicked Edit
- Unchecked Only View Note Types
- Cicked the "+" button
- Chosen "High Woodblock" from the appropriate menu
Which adds the necessary line in to the list of instruments. But no matter what I do, the program won't let me add a number in to the Midi field, so it has no effect.

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 11/25/2016 5:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The MIDI number comes from the MAP you choose, and you have to know the right one.
Here is a custom layout I created for the SmartSynth woodblock sound.

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
woodblk.png
  45KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 413 time(s).

Edward Windels
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Edward WindelsClick to Add 308 West 103rd Street to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 11/25/2016 5:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Derrek, tried that: my GPO doesn't offer a Cuban percussion. As an alternative, I tried adding in Claves, but still no playback or sound. See the opening measures of the attached document.

File Attachment :
Summer Day Part 2.musx   577KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 340 time(s).

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 8828

Posted 11/25/2016 6:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You realize that you have about 2 dozen instruments all assigned to the same staff position? It might help clarify things if you deleted all the percussion instruments that you don't intend to use. In fact, if it were me, I'd have a staff set aside for just the wood block and nothing else.

Finale 25.1

GPO5, JaBB3, GIO, COMB2, GWI, GIFF, Steinway Basic.

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 11/25/2016 7:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This one is simple: you unchecked View Only Note Types... If you had kept that checked, you would have known what is available in the Map. By unchecking that, you are not getting sound because you have chosen an instrument not in the Map.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 11/25/2016 9:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cuban percussion is part of the Finale Softsynth. All you have to do is look up the MIDI value for your Woodblock and plug it into the MIDI map.
/usermanuals.finalemusic.com/FinaleWin/Content/Finale/PercussionMaps1.htm?Highlight=softsynth

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/26/2016 12:30 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The issue here is sounds missing using Garritan. I think the Fusion kit has what is needed. Unfortunately, Percussion Toys is the chosen Map.

Zuill

Edward Windels
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 11/26/2016 11:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Derrek and Zuill: to clarify: you CANNOT mix instruments from different maps? Is that correct? That seems somewhat nonsensical to me. So for example I can't add that Woodblock to a Basic Percussion map?

Derrek
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 11/26/2016 11:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
True, you cannot mix sounds from different maps on the same staff.

Ron.
Composer

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Ron.'s website.Send a Private Message to Ron.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/26/2016 11:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can edit the maps, but it is somewhat convoluted. Under Midi/Audio, select Device Setup, then Edit Percussion Midi Maps. But, your life would be so much easier if you just used the setup wizard to create a single-line woodblock. The wizard does all the setup for you.

Here's a picture for you. Hope it helps.

Finale 25.1

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Post Edited (Ron.) : 11/26/2016 10:44:17 AM (GMT-6)

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
woodblock.png
  266KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 331 time(s).

Edward Windels
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 11/26/2016 12:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Appreciate the suggestion, Ron, but with currently 20+ unpitched percussion instruments designated (and I'm not done orchestrating yet, so there may be more), to give each one its own line seems at best crowded. Even though I will be optimizing the score, but still.

Ron.
Composer

Date Joined Mar 2003

Posted 11/26/2016 1:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Edward Windels said...
Appreciate the suggestion, Ron, but with currently 20+ unpitched percussion instruments designated (and I'm not done orchestrating yet, so there may be more), to give each one its own line seems at best crowded. Even though I will be optimizing the score, but still.

Okay, so then edit your percussion map as demonstrated in the image I posted.

Finale 25.1

Windows 7; 10 GB RAM.

www.composeforums.com

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/26/2016 6:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Derrek said...
True, you cannot mix sounds from different maps on the same staff.

Actually, that is not true.

Zuill

Derrek
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 11/27/2016 11:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill,
That is something I did not know. Are there any documentation pages you can point me to, since this would be a handy skill to have for what I do?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/27/2016 6:30 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You can use a different MAP for each layer on a staff. You can't have more than one Layout on a staff. You can create a Layout that uses sounds from more than one Map. The other way is to create a Map that has all the sounds. That can be harder, however, for my money. That method, though, allows one Map for all Layers.

The attached is a simple demo of a Hybrid Layout using 2 maps. You'll see that only notes assigned to the Map for the specified layer will play. The same note, when placed in another layer, won't play.

Zuill

File Attachment :
Orchestral Percussion Mix.musx   86KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 313 time(s).

Derrek
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 11/28/2016 10:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill,
Thank you. I had to reset my Aria settings to GiFF, but then it did work (in measures 1 and 4, as I expect was the point). I understand the concept and thank you for it.

Edward Windels
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 11/28/2016 11:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
So Zuill, I could theoretically do two percussion staves (which I was planning to do anyway, rather than one line per each individual instrument), map Basic Percussion to layer 1 of the first one, map Accessories to layer 2 of the first one, map Fusion Kit or something to layer 1 of the second 1, etc. Right?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/28/2016 12:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Edward Windels said...
So Zuill, I could theoretically do two percussion staves (which I was planning to do anyway, rather than one line per each individual instrument), map Basic Percussion to layer 1 of the first one, map Accessories to layer 2 of the first one, map Fusion Kit or something to layer 1 of the second 1, etc. Right?
That's easier then doing 2 Maps on the same staff.

Zuill

Edward Windels
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2011

Posted 11/28/2016 12:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
But I would be doing two maps on the same staff... just each one to a different layer. Yes?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 11/28/2016 12:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I didn't read your post thoroughly. Yes, the staff with 2 maps can be done with 2 layers. The trick with this method is the process of editing the Layout. I would create a fresh Layout as I did and customize it from the ground up.

Zuill