Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 25 printing off-center in landscape  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
37 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Nikk P.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2012
Total Posts : 77

Posted 9/8/2016 4:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello all,

I've had Finale 25 for two weeks, but today was the first time that I had to print out linked parts...

Firstly, I wish Finale hadn't made it an extra step to print out parts...took me a while to find the options to print out specific parts.

Secondly - my parts in landscape mode come out off-center, with a LOT of white space at the top. Is there a way to fix that that anyone's discovered?

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 2014d.v5545
Mac OSX 10.10.5

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 9/8/2016 4:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Is the page size correct and set to landscape? What happens if you PDF them?
Note that there's a Page size is Page Setup AND in the print menu itself.

Finale v.25, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

thomasmith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit thomasmith's website.Send a Private Message to thomasmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 96

Posted 9/8/2016 4:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
DOCTOR Wiggy? Please explain. I know that with your superior knowledge and experience with Finale, you've been healing patients on this forum for some time now.
But I'm guessing that based on that fact, you just didn't decide to start identifying yourself as "Dr."

Thomas Smith
Guitarist, Composer/Arranger, Engraver
Finale 2014.5, (and every previous version since 2.0)
2009 Millay Colony for the Arts Composer Resident
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 4 Gb RAM; OS 10.11.2
15" MacBook Pro, 2.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 4 Gb RAM
iPad running iOS 7
M-Audio Fast Track Pro Audio Interface, M-Audio Keystation 49e
www.thomasmithmusic.com
www.rhinesmithduo.com
www.milmontparkmusic.com

Dr. Wiggy

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 9/9/2016 10:45 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm temporarily celebrating the award of my PhD. It won't last. :p

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Nikk P.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 9/9/2016 11:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Congrats, doc, from one Ph.D. to another. All page sizes are set correctly, as are print outputs.

I am using an old template, so...maybe I'll try starting a new one from scratch.

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 2014d.v5545
Mac OSX 10.10.5

thomasmith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit thomasmith's website.Send a Private Message to thomasmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 96

Posted 9/9/2016 12:49 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Congratulations. I know how much work and stress that can be for a person.
May it last as long as you would like it to last. (the celebration, that is)

Thomas Smith
Guitarist, Composer/Arranger, Engraver
Finale 2014.5, (and every previous version since 2.0)
2009 Millay Colony for the Arts Composer Resident
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 4 Gb RAM; OS 10.11.2
15" MacBook Pro, 2.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 4 Gb RAM
iPad running iOS 7
M-Audio Fast Track Pro Audio Interface, M-Audio Keystation 49e
www.thomasmithmusic.com
www.rhinesmithduo.com
www.milmontparkmusic.com

Michael Johnson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michael JohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004
Total Posts : 1317

Posted 9/10/2016 10:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you are attempting to print PDFs and they are off center, here's a knowledge base article:
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/226922648-Margin-alignment-off-center-when-printing-to-PDF-Mac-

Cheers,

Michael Johnson

MacBook Pro
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM

Daz
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DazAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 1723

Posted 9/10/2016 10:54 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Michael

I don't own a Mac, but I found the wording of that helpdesk article a confusing.
Particularly the line " ...please try and add a printer (any printer your own) to the..."

Do you mean to say that people should add a generic postscript printer in addition to any printer they own?

I wonder if that particular article might be re-written to be clearer?

Cheers...

Daz. :o)

------------------------
Finale 2006-2011, Finale 25 - Win7 64 bit
Core2 Duo i7-4790, 16Gb Ram, Soundblaster Z

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 9/11/2016 2:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MM seems to suggest that there's a bug in MacOS that if you don't have any Postscript printers, then margins will be off in the printers that you do have when you print to PDF. (It's not clear whether Nikk was having this problem on paper or PDF.

1. In System Preferences, add a second queue for your printer. (Apple calls it "adding a printer", but you can have multiple instances for the same device, so it's adding a print queue really.)
2. Name the printer something like "Postscript"
3. In the drop-down list marked "Use" at the bottom, select "Generic Postscript Printer".

Then use this print queue for Save As PDF.

Post Edited (Dr. Wiggy) : 9/11/2016 2:43:52 AM (GMT-5)

Michael Johnson
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michael JohnsonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 9/11/2016 8:27 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HI Daz:
Excellent feedback, I'll pass along.

Dr. Wiggy gets it right. There is an issue in the Cocoa Printing API (MacOS) that presents itself when you don't have a printer installed.

Thanks for all your help gentlemen. I do hope we can get Nikk on his way.
Cheers,

Michael Johnson

MacBook Pro
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 9/11/2016 8:32 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michael - working on a Sunday...?

If you don't have ANY printer installed, then there's nothing to select when you try to add a print queue. So click on the IP tab, and enter as follows:

Alternatively, you could add a dedicated Print-to-File print queue, such as CUPS-PDF, or my pswrite software on github.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 9.png
  76KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 570 time(s).

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 9/11/2016 8:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My off-center printing was happening (is happening) on both PDFs and on hard copies sent to my laser printer.

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 25
Mac OSX 10.11.6
MacBook Pro (Mid-2012, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD)

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 9/11/2016 8:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What is the ACTUAL page size of the PDF with big margins? Is it what you expect? I.e. Is the page being placed on a larger sheet, or is the music being reduced?

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 9/11/2016 9:02 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Using Finale 2014, when printing out a letter-sized, landscape part (for marching band arrangement purposes), the music is evenly spaced and there appears to be the same appropriate white space on all sides. Using Finale 25, it appears to be moved toward the bottom. Let me see if I can print out some samples (gotta go back to my work computer to access the earlier version of Finale).

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 25
Mac OSX 10.11.6

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 9/11/2016 9:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
PS - is there a link to download Finale 2014? I'd like to put it back on my personal laptop until all of these issues with Fin25 are worked out.

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 25
Mac OSX 10.11.6

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 9/11/2016 9:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The printer will scale or crop your page to the physical paper. What is the page size of the PDF?

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 9/11/2016 9:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
8.5x11.

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 25
Mac OSX 10.11.6

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 9/11/2016 9:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Attached are two PDF prints of the same part, one printed using Finale 2014.5, one printed using Finale 25.

The Finale 25 print is the one with all of the white space up at the top. Now, granted, in older versions the white space was pushed to the bottom, but I think most of you would agree that this is preferable to having all the white space at the top, which makes the printed part look strange.

I am hopeful that there is some setting that I am overlooking, and that it's a user error.

The other thing I am noticing with the new print dialog menu is that it sometimes remembers things I don't want it to remember. For example, no matter what I do, no matter how many times I save my file the way I want it, one of my arrangements always has Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, and Tenor Sax selected to print by default, as opposed to say, having all parts (or none) selected.

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 25
Mac OSX 10.11.6

File Attachment :
Piccolo - Piccolo.pdf   45KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 349 time(s).

File Attachment :
picc - Piccolo.pdf   54KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 253 time(s).

Dr. Wiggy

Date Joined Jun 2006

Posted 9/11/2016 10:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, currently, the Finale print settings are not remembered. Note that there is a Page Setup in the File menu AND in the print dialog now. Also double check that your Part page size is Letter landscape. (Use Rulers, not Page Format.)

Post Edited (Dr. Wiggy) : 9/11/2016 10:19:51 AM (GMT-5)

Michael Johnson
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2004

Posted 9/11/2016 11:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah, I'm working on Sundays -- no rest for the wicked.
You're problem is trying to reproduce the VK show. ;-) I hope you're marching in red chucks with white tuxedo coats. I think that show requires it. haha

I'm using the Finale Document Style of Marching Band to start my file.
I think I get the results you want in v25 with print dialog settings of "Borderless 8.5 x 11" and 2 up printing

If you want to do 1 up printing, then I set it to "Borderless 8.5 x 11" and checked "Fit To Page" in the Finale print settings.

And if you go to Finalemusic.com, log into your account of MakeMusic, click on "my account" in top right corner, you'd be able to download 2014 in the "my software" area

Cheers,

Michael Johnson

MacBook Pro
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM

File Attachment :
OffTheLineBorderless2Up - Trumpet in Bb.pdf   86KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 218 time(s).

File Attachment :
OffTheLineBorderlessFitToPage1Up - Trumpet in Bb.pdf   87KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 252 time(s).

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 9/15/2016 4:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Heh - Didn't catch your response until just now, Michael. The VK-inspired "MMT" is a hit with our students. No red converse or tuxedos, however.

I'll try the settings you've mentioned for printing.

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 25
Mac OSX 10.11.6

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 9/15/2016 5:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ok, just tried it with your settings - still leaves a tremendous amount of white space up top (see attached).

Finale 2014 prints it out the way I want it without having to mess around with any settings. Yet another reason to go back to it (no offense to you, Michael, I know you probably have your hands tied in many ways about things you want to have this software be vs. what the powers-that-be want) and get a refund on 25 until things are a little more solid.

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 25
Mac OSX 10.11.6

File Attachment :
MMT (2014) - Trumpet I.pdf   69KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 219 time(s).

File Attachment :
MMT (Fin25) - Trumpet I.pdf   75KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 242 time(s).

jim dukey
Registered Member

Click to send jim dukey email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jim dukeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1082

Posted 9/15/2016 8:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I printed to 2-up 11/17 without problem in Fin 25.

Molecular Computer, Powered by Fusion in a Jar. Finale 3000, Wireless ESP Module, No Physical Interface, Printed Parts Manifest by The Universe,
SOOOO Boring! Now Everybody is Friggin' Mozart.

Nikk P.
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2012

Posted 9/15/2016 8:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
11x17 may be different. 2-up on 8.5x11 (for marching band flip folio purposes) is not working so hot, leaving the aforementioned big spaces up top. Though it is nice to know that when I go to print out my concert ensemble works, that at least will work.

+++++
Nikk P.

Finale 25
Mac OSX 10.11.6

jim dukey
Registered Member

Click to send jim dukey email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jim dukeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1082

Posted 9/15/2016 8:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Did you check to use Finale's orientation instead of the printer's?
That's essential!

Molecular Computer, Powered by Fusion in a Jar. Finale 3000, Wireless ESP Module, No Physical Interface, Printed Parts Manifest by The Universe,
SOOOO Boring! Now Everybody is Friggin' Mozart.