Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Finale 2010 still doesn't support some retrograde symmetrical sets  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Garcia
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GarciaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 150

Posted 2/5/2010 2:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would like to inform that canonic utilies plug-in does not seem to support some symmetric sets as [0  1   6    7].
                                                                                                                                                                      [C Db F# G]
I tried to get the retrograde form from this set and Finale simply crashed.

I thought this problem was already solved... too bad!!!   

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 7430

Posted 2/5/2010 3:11 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
so you're complaining that Finale won't do your work for you?
honestly, this is NOT that big a deal.
if you regularly work with sets, then you should be doing them yourself, not counting on some 3rd party plug-in in your notation program to do them for you.

I'm sorry this plug-in doesn't work for you.
However, there seems to be some problem with YOUR system, as the plug-in works fine on mine. I just used this plug-in to do as you are complaining about, and it retrograded perfectly. Back and forth I went, flipping the little 4-note set.

Are you sure you are using a legitimate copy of Finale? not some hacked copy with bugs in it? just asking, in case.

Apparently, the problem IS solved in Finale, but needs to be fixed on your computer :p

Finale versions: 3.0 -> 2010
currently installed: 2006c, 2007c, 2008a, 2009, 2010
GPO 4, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, Garritan Concert and Marching Band
Garritan Stradivari Violin, Gofriller Cello
Xsamples chamber Ensemble
Win XP

Michel R. Edward
Composer, teacher, music administrator

Garcia
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to GarciaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 2/5/2010 4:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Finale won't do your work for you"
"if you regularly work with sets, then you should be doing them yourself"
"hacked copy with bugs in it"

What more??? it's a festival of nonsense comments...

Manually rewrite a section? hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I thought you had serious problems but now I'm sure!

Dear typical Cowboy I suggest you do not answer my posts ok?

Post Edited By Moderator (Forum Admin) : 2/8/2010 8:58:04 AM (GMT-6)

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 2/5/2010 4:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It might be because of the tempo of 163,48 BPM...

And a really disgusting picture, too. Admin alert sent.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Michel R. E.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/5/2010 5:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, Rodrigo, since you're being a jerk about this:

I answered your stupid post where you complain about a BUG in a plug-in.
There appears to be a BUG in your own computer, since the plugin works perfectly well on my PC.

At least I'm not posting threatening images of shooting puppies in response to your continuous complaints.
I've also reported your abusive post.

"typical cowboy"?
is that supposed to be a slam of some sort?
if you are referring to me as a "red neck", then I would have to advise you to rethink the tack you are taking with your insults.

Win XP

Michel R. Edward

Post Edited (QcCowboy) : 2/5/2010 4:29:34 PM (GMT-6)

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/5/2010 6:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
you're right, Mike.
I should definitely not let myself get involved in this sort of stupidity.
anyway, to finish it off... the "bug" appears to be in the OP's set-up.
I can get the plug-in to retrograde perfectly fine with the example he posted. No crash, no problem, nothing.

I've reported the OP anyway, at this point I may as well simply place him on "ignore".

Win XP

Michel R. Edward

johnmouse
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to johnmouseAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2003
Total Posts : 849

Posted 2/5/2010 7:13 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
QcCowboy said...
the "bug" appears to be in the OP's set-up.

The bug appears to be elsewhere too. devil

Yes, and an admin alert was sent to his extremely inappropriate post earlier today.

John

Finale 2009c/2010a
M-Audio KeyRig 49
Windows XP, SP2
P4 2.8 GHz
768 MB RAM

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 2/5/2010 9:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Canonic retrograde, with the notes he showed, worked fine on my system, too. So there is further evidence that the problem is not with Finale as such, but with the user's system. (Hardware, software, or wetware.)

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

WebMaster for the Seattle SeaChordsmen www.seachordsmen.org
NEW SITE www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Print Music 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010; Finale 2010b
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Michel R. E.
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2003

Posted 2/5/2010 9:15 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
possibly a PEBKAC issue?

Win XP

Michel R. Edward

Garcia
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 2/6/2010 8:44 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dear SAJ.

I reinstalled my Finale 2010 and updated to version 2010a. Now, it seems that the problem was resolved. I think it might be a problem in my OP, as constructively mentioned by Mike and Michel.

Thanks for your attention, good sense and inspiring comments.
Rodrigo.

Post Edited By Moderator (Scott H. MakeMusic) : 2/8/2010 1:15:06 PM (GMT-6)

wrayer
Registered Member

Click to send wrayer email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to wrayerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 1999
Total Posts : 144

Posted 2/6/2010 2:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"The only one who has engaged in personal attacks in this thread is Rodrigo. I've added my name to the chorus of complaints to the forum admin."

I am in agreement with Ron.

Now can we stop this bickering and become professional:
I used to say to my classes: "Now, now children, let's act like adults."

and, in conclusion, to quote one of the great minds of the pas century:

"Can't we all just get along?"
                            -Rodney King

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Forum Admin's website.Send a Private Message to Forum AdminAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2003
Total Posts : 106

Posted 2/8/2010 12:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I apologize for not attending to the offensive picture sooner. It is removed now.

I suggest we all walk away from this, so I'm locking the thread.

Thanks,
David

Forum Administrator
MakeMusic, Inc.

Scott Hirsch (Coach)
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Scott Hirsch (Coach)Click to Add drumscotth to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2008
Total Posts : 424

Posted 2/8/2010 2:23 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thanks, Guys!

Sorry we did not catch this sooner.  I have went through and tried to remove the posts that were offensive or meaningless to the conversation.  Thanks for notifying us and we will do a better job of monitoring for these kinds of posts - since they seem to be more frequent recently.

Feel free to use the Report function, email me at my MakeMusic address, or send me a PM if you notice anything.

Thanks!

Scott Hirsch
MakeMusic Forum Assistance
-------------------------------------------
iMac 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.7
MacBook 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS X 10.6
Finale 2005-2010
Sibelius 2-6.1
Kontakt 2,3
Tapspace Virtual Drumline 2.5.1
Zero-G Nostalgia
Garritan Personal Orchestra