Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Plug-In Development - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Developers: C++ function FinaleExtensionGetMenuStatus doesn't work.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Adam Burford
Registered Member

Click to send Adam Burford email.Click to visit Adam Burford's website.Send a Private Message to Adam BurfordAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add burford_adam@msn.com to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Jun 2003
Total Posts : 21

Posted 3/20/2004 8:21 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have the Finale 2003 Plug-in Developer's Kit. My version of Finale is 2004b.
My FinaleExtensionGetMenuStatus function does *not* grey-out my menu item. But it does have the effect of disabling it. That is, I can disable the menu item, but the menu item does not get greyed-out.
Also, my FinaleExtensionGetMenuStatus function is called multiple times. Not just for my menu items, but I speculated once for *every* plug-in out there in the plug-in directory.
Also, the last item in my Plug-in menu gets greyed-out whether or not my plug-in is in the Plug-In directory.
Am I seeing a bug in Finale 2004b. Or does any experienced Plug-in developer have an idea as to what I have done wrong?

Adam Burford
Finale 2004b.
Windows XP, Home Edition.

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 3/20/2004 12:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think I've seen the problem you're mentioning. The one problem with GetMenuStatus that I've seen is that the last plug-in in a menu will *not* get grayed out. On 2004, this works a little better if there are submenus under the menu where your plug-in resides. GetMenuStatus does seem to get called more often than you would expect.

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

Adam Burford
Registered Member

Click to send Adam Burford email.Click to visit Adam Burford's website.Send a Private Message to Adam BurfordAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add burford_adam@msn.com to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 3/20/2004 1:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michael Good said...
... GetMenuStatus does seem to get called more often than you would expect.
Michael,

I've just begun writing my dream Plug-in for Finale. I do thorough testing on all my work, and I swear that GetMenuStatus doesn't work.

My position is this:

1. If I have one menu item, it should call my function once each time the Plug-In menu is constructed. This is not the observed behavior. My function is called multiple times to construct the Plug-In menu.

2. I can "disable" my menu item by returning "NO", but eventhough clicking on it has no effect (as expected given "NO" return status) it is *not* greyed-out. The documentation talks about disabling my menu item, but never explicitely states that it is to be greyed-out. Can someone tell me this is intentional?

Adam Burford
Finale 2004b.

Adam Burford
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 3/21/2004 8:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have discovered that greying-out works if my plug-in is not put into a subdirectory under the Plug-ins directory.

And the greying-out does ot work if my plug-in is put into a subdirectory under the Plug-ins directory.

Adam Burford
Finale 2004b.

Michael Good
MusicXML Maven

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Michael Good's website.Send a Private Message to Michael GoodAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2000
Total Posts : 1299

Posted 3/21/2004 10:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And when graying out didn't work, your plug-in was the last (probably only) item in the subdirectory, correct?

This is a long-standing bug in Finale, at least on Windows. Please write winsupport@makemusic.com to report it and maybe we can get it fixed in Finale 2005.

I don't think the PDK documentation says anywhere how often GetMenuStatus is going to be called, but I agree it's being called more often than one would think necessary or optimal. Again, reporting to winsupport is the best way to get this fixed in the future.

Michael Good
Recordare LLC

Adam Burford
Registered Member

Date Joined Jun 2003

Posted 3/22/2004 8:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Michael Good said...
And when graying out didn't work, your plug-in was the last (probably only) item in the subdirectory, correct?

... Please write winsupport@makemusic.com to report it and maybe we can get it fixed in Finale 2005.
Yes. You are right about where I had my plug-in.

I took your advice and emailed them.

Adam Burford
Finale 2004b.