Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Ctree error 16 in CTVNOTE:258  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Al Newman
Registered Member

Click to send Al Newman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Al NewmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 84

Posted 5/1/2014 7:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have been using Finale 2010b for years on Windows XP. I recently upgrades my operating system to Windows 7 and reloaded Finale 2010b with no problems. When |I tried to set some preferences the message "Ctree error 16 in CTVNOTE:258" popped up and Finale closed down. What's wrong and how do I correct it?

w

Al Newman

Finale 2010b, 2008a & 2006c
Win XP

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 5/2/2014 9:05 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Al,
Unless someone here can help, try a Google search, specifying forum:makemusic in your search string. Unfortunately, MM no longer offers support on your version.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer notation editor (The Gang of Eight) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2010, 2011, 2012c, 2014a, but using 2012 again, on Mac 10.9.2
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 5/2/2014 9:39 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This sounds like you don't have the path to the Temp folder properly set. I may be wrong. I would try deleting the Finale.ini file and let it recreate it upon launch.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014a now.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 5/2/2014 11:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Also make sure you have Windows permissions to access the needed files. (Try running Finale as Administrator by right clicking the Finale program icon and choosing "Run as Administrator.")

Finale 2014 - Windows 7
GPO 4, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar X3 Producer)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 5/2/2014 11:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Versions of Finale created prior to the release of Windows 7 put finale.ini in \Program Files\Finale 20xx. I think Finale 2010 falls into this category. Windows 7 doesn't like programs writing data to \Program Files, so by some magic it instead reroutes such files to

\Users\Username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Finale 20xx

where Username is your Windows user name.

I ran into this problem when I put Finale 2005 on Windows 7 (Finale 2011, which is Windows 7-aware, didn't have this problem). Evidently you need adminstrator privilege when you create the file for first time. The solution was as Derrek says: run Finale the first time by right-clicking and choosing "run as administrator." It will create a default finale.ini with the proper permissions. I think after that you can run it normally without right-clicking.

But first remove both

\Users\Username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Finale 2001\finale.ini

and

\Program Files\Finale 2010\finale.ini

if they exist (perhaps the installer creates the latter).

If this works and you can make changes to the program options, check the Folders settings, too, to make sure they point to existing folders. But I don't think I had to change them from the default.

The same may go for the file finmidi.ini.

Finale 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, Windows XP

Post Edited (Motet) : 5/3/2014 1:43:47 AM (GMT-5)

Al Newman
Registered Member

Click to send Al Newman email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Al NewmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 84

Posted 5/5/2014 4:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Folks,

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up uninstalling it and then reinstalling it and all worked well.

Al Newman

Finale 2010b, 2008a & 2006c
Win XP