Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > When Finale gives you no option  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted 3/26/2015 11:58 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This caused a file (orchestral score, 400 measures) to crash not be able to recover. I was in Simple Entry.
No Esc worked. Only OK worked.

I think that was OK.

Finale 2009c now (works better than 2011c) on OS X 10.6.8 and not thinking to upgrade any more until both computers die completely (iMac 21', MacBook Pro 13').

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
OK.jpg
  23KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 208 time(s).

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 3/26/2015 12:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Was this message for a plugin? If so, which one?

You say the file crashed and was not able to be recovered. Did you have a recent backup?

Just curious…

These days, Escape doesn't seem to do a damn thing when used with the Mac OS. I've often wanted to stop a process initiated by mistake (such as copying a folder and its contents) but usually there is no way to do it on The World's Most Advanced Operating System.

N.

Finale 2011c, 2012c - OSX 10.6.8
Finale 2014d - OSX 10.8.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 2GB RAM
New Belgium Trippel Ale

“The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.”
–Assyrian tablet, ca. 2800 BC

Post Edited (N. Grossingink) : 3/26/2015 12:46:46 PM (GMT-5)

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 3/26/2015 12:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Doesn't Mac have Undo? I know that won't prevent a crash. But in Windows, copying can be undone. Finale 2014 has a crash recovery feature which I have found works reasonably well. But for 2009, I guess that didn't exist.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Finale 2002b, 2003a, 2004b, 2005b, Win XP SP3, 2011b Win 7 64bit, 2012a Bought and Paid For (Hopefully soon 2012b with some of the MAJOR BUGS fixed--well, now with 2012b and some of the bugs are fixed) 2012c, with some bug fixes. 2014c at present. Now 2014d.
Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 3/26/2015 1:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Indeed Mac OS X does have an Undo.
The keyboard shortcut is ⌘Z.

I think that what N. Grossingink wanted to do, was to stop the copying while it was going on, and not wait until the copying was finished, and then Undo.

I have not tried it recently, but ⌘. (Command-Period) used to stop an ongoing action.
Perhaps ⌘. does not stop a copying action in the latest version of Mac OS X.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011c, 2012c & 2014d, Dolet 6.4 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.5, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 3/26/2015 1:59 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
N. Grossingink said...
These days, Escape doesn't seem to do a damn thing when used with the Mac OS. I've often wanted to stop a process initiated by mistake (such as copying a folder and its contents) but usually there is no way to do it on The World's Most Advanced Operating System.

The X in a circle to the right of a progress bar in a file copy dialog stops the operation.

Escape is a standard OS shortcut for the Cancel button in a dialog, but it is not and never has been a magic "STOP" event. As Peter points out, Command Period was used for that in some circumstances.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014d, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.9.5)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002

Posted 3/26/2015 2:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Zuill said...
Doesn't Mac have Undo? I know that won't prevent a crash. But in Windows, copying can be undone. Finale 2014 has a crash recovery feature which I have found works reasonably well. But for 2009, I guess that didn't exist.

Zuill

Mac does have undo and redo - those typically affect the last action(s) at the program level. What I'm looking for is a way to stop a more involved process, usually at the OS level, such as an inadvertant copy of a huge folder that's going to take 20 minutes or, say, the burning of a CD.

N.

New Belgium Trippel Ale

“The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.”

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2002

Posted 3/26/2015 2:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Wiggy said...
The X in a circle to the right of a progress bar in a file copy dialog stops the operation.

I have had at least one occasion when the "X" was not present, and there was no way to stop the operation. Next time, I'll try .

N.

New Belgium Trippel Ale

Peter West
Registered Member

Click to send Peter West email.Click to visit Peter West's website.Send a Private Message to Peter WestClick to Add p.west@mac.com to Your AIM Buddy List.ICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 4272

Posted 3/26/2015 3:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
These Dbs need a "No" or "Cancel" button. When I get one I use Comm-alt-esc and force Finale to Quit. This prevents the process half finishing. On a big score it can, as you say, crash and leave the file unusable.

Peter
Music Publishing Services

iMac 27 inch, 8GB RAM /OSX.10.10.1 +20 inch Cinema Display
Finale 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2014d/Logic Pro X

https://www.facebook.com/MusicPublishing
http://musicpublishing.moonfruit.com

OCTO.
The radical answers.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to OCTO.AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 2659

Posted 3/28/2015 2:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I used plug-in for cross staff. Alt+arrow-down. It worked. Than I double clicked a note. The note was selected in Simple Entry. Than I pressed down Alt+Arrow-down to see if the Cross-Staff works there too. And I have got this pop-up.

I clicked OK, than Cmd+Period, Esc, but nothing happened. It started to do SOMETHING from the start of the document, after some minutes the computer got very hot and fan was running fast. The only I could do is Alt+Cmd+Esc and Quit.

Unfortunately I was working on my MacBook Pro (I use to work on iMac at home), but I was on the trip in a hotel working on a piece. So the ASV was de-checked.
And so, everything was lost, some couple of hours...

Of course, I am guilty not having the ASV checked, but to get an option which you don't have an option is problematic. I cannot repeat the same command (I opened a plain document and tried to do also Alt+arrow-down in the Simple with selected note to see what would happen, but nothing happened...)

Finale 2009c now (works better than 2011c) on OS X 10.6.8 and not thinking to upgrade any more until both computers die completely (iMac 21', MacBook Pro 13').