Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Slash chords bass note defaults to tonic note  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

poparad
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to poparadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2014
Total Posts : 28

Posted 5/6/2016 11:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Whenever I enter slash chords into a chart via the chord dialogue box (not typing directly into the score), and use a slash chord, when I click "OK," whatever note I chose for the bass note in the slash chord is changed to whatever key the piece is in. I'm making a chart for Coltrane's "Naima" right now in Ab, and all of my /Eb chords keep changing to Ab. When I go back into the dialogue window and change it back, it sticks, but on the initial entry, it's always reverted.

Is this a bug in 2014, or am I missing some hidden setting? I never had this issue with previous versions.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 5/6/2016 11:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No bug for me. When I enter /Eb, it sticks the first time.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

loweredsixth
Registered Member

Click to send loweredsixth email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to loweredsixthAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 167

Posted 5/6/2016 1:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It happens to me from time to time. You have to hit "enter" after you type in the bass note instead of hitting the "OK" button in the dialog box.

Finale 2014d
Windows 10

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 5/6/2016 2:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I hit Enter or OK with the same result. I am using Windows 7. Maybe it's more of an issue with Win 8 or Win 10.

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

loweredsixth
Registered Member

Click to send loweredsixth email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to loweredsixthAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2002
Total Posts : 167

Posted 5/6/2016 2:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Oddly enough, it only happens sometimes. I'm not sure what triggers it.

Finale 2014d
Windows 10

poparad
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to poparadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2014

Posted 5/6/2016 2:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Maybe it is a Windows 10 thing. I got 2014 about a year before I upgraded to 10, and I don't recall having this problem then.

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 5/6/2016 7:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

What exactly are you doing?  What do you mean by slash chords?  Are you referring to entering an alternate bass note?  By the "dialog window", are you referring to the "Chord Definition" dialog box?  It always helps to be precise with your description of the issue you are having.

I am using F2014.5 on W10, and I like Zuill, do not see any problem.  If I setup a document in the key of Ab, and enter a chord with an alternate bass of Eb or Ab for example, it enters correctly first time every time.  Am I misunderstanding the issue?

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 10586)

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB [Display adapter]
ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, Realtek HD Audio

Finale 2014.5.6359
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0
Sharpeye 2.68, PhotoScore Ultimate 7.0.2, SmartScore X2 Pro 10.5.8

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell

poparad
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2014

Posted 5/7/2016 12:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Slash chord" is common vernacular for a chord with an alternate bass. And yes, I do mean the "chord definition" dialogue box, which is the dialogue window that pops up when entering chords. You are correct in your understanding of the problem, although curiously I'm only on 2014.5 and W10. This has happened over a number of different documents for me, and as far as I can remember, it's been very consistent.