Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > best way to deal w/ this engraving issue  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Shnootre
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ShnootreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 952

Posted 12/9/2016 9:42 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What's the best way to deal w/ this situation? I play around w/ it every time and never come up with a satisfactory solution (see picture)

Daniel Sonenberg
Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
A bunch of sample libraries
Finale 25
Logic X

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
triplets and slur.jpeg
  28KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 268 time(s).

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 2290

Posted 12/9/2016 9:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would flip the tuplets. That would also remove the brackets (in my defaults for tuplets) which I am perfectly comfortable with.

In my opinion, the slur on the correct side outweighs the tuplet on the correct side. I would be interested to hear if this agrees with the authorities.

Christopher Smith

Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25
or
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13 inch, early 2015) 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25

Shnootre
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ShnootreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 12/9/2016 9:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes - good point. In this case the tuplets really should be flipped, actually. I will post another example, though, where it's tougher!

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 12/9/2016 10:43 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's a better example... what's the best choice here?

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
triplets and slur 2.jpeg
  22KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 356 time(s).

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeHalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001
Total Posts : 217

Posted 12/10/2016 12:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Christopher Smith said...
I would flip the tuplets. That would also remove the brackets (in my defaults for tuplets) which I am perfectly comfortable with.

In my opinion, the slur on the correct side outweighs the tuplet on the correct side. I would be interested to hear if this agrees with the authorities.
Beat me to the punch. The brackets are redundant when the 3 is under the beam.

Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2011c, SmartScore X Pro II, Encore 5.07, GPO 5
2010 iMac i7, 32G RAM, 2T SSD, Late 2013 MacBook Air, OS 10.12.1
MOTU Digital Performer 9.12, 9.02, Logic Pro X 10.2.4

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MikeHalloranAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 12/10/2016 12:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Shnootre said...
Here's a better example... what's the best choice here?
Flip the brackets as before but retain them. Move the dynamic and crescendo down to make room.

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 12/10/2016 8:17 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike solution is good, although there may be other situations where this might not be a viable option. You could conceivably leave the tuplet brackets where they are and move the slur to be above them. If you change the second tuplet bracket to be flat (smart tuplets... pff) and perhaps nudge both down slightly, the slur won't be so distorted. In this case I prefer the attached.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25.1, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
triplets and slur.png
  154KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 281 time(s).

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 12/10/2016 10:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Another solution:
Put the slur below where the tuplet brackets are above.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2012c, 2014d & 2014.5, Dolet 6.6 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.11.6, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
TupletsAndSlur.gif
  13KB (image/gif)
This image has been viewed 178 time(s).

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John RuggeroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 820

Posted 12/10/2016 10:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In a situation like this, I think it is better to discard the normal rules for stem direction:

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014.5 (Finale 2011 and 2014d as backups) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4, SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

The better the composer, the better the notation.

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Triplets and Slur.png
  133KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 197 time(s).

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Christopher SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 12/10/2016 11:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
John Ruggero said...
In a situation like this, I think it is better to discard the normal rules for stem direction:

Wow, that seems like the most radical solution to me. I would have kept the stem direction as much as possible, but flipped the tuplet to allow the slur to stay in the right direction. Mike Halloran's solution (first choice), or Vaughn's (second) would be mine. But take that as authoritatively as it is meant, which is to say, I dunno.

Christopher Smith

OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25
or
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 12/10/2016 12:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Friends

I am GREATLY appreciative of this discussion and these examples. (wish I had asked this question sooner!)

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/10/2016 12:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In my opinion, the slur on the correct side outweighs the tuplet on the correct side.

In my opinion, the tuplet number generally should go on the beam (or stem) side, and the slur on the notehead side, so there's really no weighing to be done.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

MikeHalloran
Registered Member

Date Joined Oct 2001

Posted 12/10/2016 12:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
"Authority" is the wrong term here. More than one person can be correct, here, right?

Unless we are in class with an instructor to correct us, we make decisions all through the process.

My opinion is based on how I, as a performer, think it's easiest to read and follow. Other times, I'll make these formatting and layout decisions based on how it will look to the conductor—especially if me.

To me, the cleanest, easiest to read solution is the best. There are standard formatting principles but, at their core, clarity is the goal. When rules conflict, as in these excellent examples, decisions must be made. You can't always let Finale do it for you.

True story. When we went to a parent's open house at a UC campus famed for its medical school, the music school made the following pitch: More students at med schools have music as a major or minor than any other discipline. Why? It turns out that musicians make good doctors. They are used to making decisions while they work.

Christopher Smith
Registered Member

Date Joined Sep 2007

Posted 12/10/2016 1:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Motet said...
In my opinion, the slur on the correct side outweighs the tuplet on the correct side.

In my opinion, the tuplet number generally should go on the beam (or stem) side, and the slur on the notehead side, so there's really no weighing to be done.

But the slur goes OVER notes with mixed stem directions, which is what this is. I would flip the tuplet in those cases as being the less essential item of the two.

Christopher Smith

OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25
or
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Finale 2014.5 and V. 25

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/10/2016 1:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In the first example, which I thought you were talking about, the stems all point down, but the numbers are on top.

In the case of mixed stem direction, it is of course a judgement call. But if the notes are beamed, there's less clutter leaving the numbers on the beam side, since no brackets are required.

To my eye, slurs flipped the "wrong way" are usually not egregious. I sometimes do this with notes below the staff if there are hairpins.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

BvdPress
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BvdPressAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 1006

Posted 12/10/2016 2:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If it were me, I might use process of elimination:

1. One could flip the stems, but I think we expect anything above the middle line to be stems down so I would not flip.
2. One could try and move the slur to above the tuplet bracket, but I think slurs need to be close to the note or as normal as possible.
3. The tuplet brackets could be flipped to underneath leaving the slur and stems up or down in place, but some might not like that solution.
4. You could even move the tuplets above the slur, but that is a bit awkward as well.
5. Or maneuver the slur the best you can around the brackets, but that might be quite difficult.

I would go with 3 as I think tuplets are probably the most flexible in terms of what a performer might see on the page.

Bryan Doughty
BVD Press, Music Express, BrassWorks4, Timber Ridge Music,
Kiwi Press, Serendipity Press and Cimarron Music Press
bvdpress@gmail.com
http://www.cimarronmusic.com/

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 2.32.55 PM.png
  528KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 288 time(s).

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 12/10/2016 3:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I like John Ruggero's solution, speaking as a performer.

As an engraver, and having only one steady client, I have to do it their way. That would be the slur first, with the triplet brackets above.

N.

OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Finale 2011c, 2012c for production work

Finale 2014.5, not used by my clients

(Finale v25 - not interested yet)

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 8GB RAM
New Belgium Fat Tire Ale

"At last, fortissimo!"
–Gustav Mahler, on visiting Niagara Falls

John Ruggero
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John RuggeroAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2000
Total Posts : 820

Posted 12/10/2016 6:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks, N.

You might tell your client that stemming with the phrasing is making a comeback. I see it now in some of the Wiener Urtext editions. http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/look_inside?R=5676152 Look at the example first page of Scherzo no 2.

Mac mini (OS 10.8.5) with dual monitors, Finale 2014.5 (Finale 2011 and 2014d as backups) with GPO 4
Kurzweil Mark 5 with M-Audio Midisport 2 x 2, Adobe InDesign CS4, SmartScore X Pro, JW Plug-ins
www.cantilenapress.com

The better the composer, the better the notation.

Post Edited (John Ruggero) : 12/10/2016 9:16:51 PM (GMT-6)