Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > How does the filter work in the HP Preferences dialogue?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Shnootre
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ShnootreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000
Total Posts : 952

Posted 10/21/2016 9:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Makemusic support has washed their hands of me since I'm not using Garritan...

I'm trying to understand how the Filter works in the HP Preferences dialogue. Are things I put in that box filtered OUT? Or In?

I'm using a lot of VSL SE instruments, so I'm using their preferences, but there are certain channels I don't want those HP settings applying to. For instance, my CL 1 is VSL SE, but my CL 2 is Berlin Woodwinds. (all running through VE Pro, so I don't think I can ever specify by device name, if I understand correctly).

Out of 6 winds (fl, ob, 2 cl, sax, bsn) I want the SE HP preferences to apply to 4, fl, ob, cl1, and bsn. Is there a simple way to do this?

Daniel Sonenberg
Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
A bunch of sample libraries
Finale 25
Logic X

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 10/21/2016 10:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Shnootre said...
Is there a simple way to do this?

I'm not trying to be flip about this, but the easy way is to use a DAW. I know that's not practical in your situation. I don't understand the filter either, other than if the sample being used contains the filter information, the technique will be used. In theory anyway it works.

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, El Capitan on separate drive

Shnootre
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ShnootreAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/21/2016 11:00 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yeah - I hear you. I WILL use a DAW soon. But for now, it's got to be Finale only. Terrible deadline pressure - and I'm getting REALLY close to great playback. I'm actually doing a lot of entering and hiding keyswitches in layer 4, and w/ keyboard maestro shortcuts it's gonna quick.

My real problem is that I can't seem to DISable the VSL prefs for staves where I'm not using them. I end up having to simply turn off HP at times on those staves.

If the filter DID work as it should, this should all be very easy. It is frustrating to me that Finale tech support explicitly does not care. I think it's nuts. They just upgraded their app to 64-bit, advertising that it's all about people being able to use their fancy sound libraries. But Finale will offer zero support to people trying to do just that. They're lucky Dorico playback is a mess so far too! (won't be forever, though).

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

nordensten
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to nordenstenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000
Total Posts : 419

Posted 10/21/2016 12:17 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use the filter thus: I put hidden codes in the staff names (E.g. [VSL] Flute 1) and then the filter setting will be "If Staff Name Contains: VSL". Then that technique will only work for the staves containing "VSL". You can vary this scheme depending on you setup. Works great.

(Finale 1.0 (1988) -> v.25) using 2012c & v.25
Cubase 8.5 Pro & Reaper - Vienna Ensemble Pro - Ircam SPAT - Hauptwerk 4 - (Overture 5) - Dorico
Libraries: VSL, Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, Xsample, Embertone, Wallander, Pianoteq, Sample Modeling, EWQL +++
Garritan Steinway - Garritan CFX pianos
Multiple Windows computers W7/W8.1/i7/32GB

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/21/2016 1:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nordensten - that's great. I actually just started playing with that, but it didn't occur to me that I could make the lib. name hidden (I assume that's how you do it?)

I have a couple of questions - and YOU'RE it for tech support on this subject :)

1) Does the order of placement matter in the list of instruments?

For instance, if I have specifications for Clarinet, and list them before the winds, is it assumed that those specifications take precedence over any for general Winds?

2) Does the system deal well with multiple instruments using different libs? I have two clarinets and two trumpets, each split between two different companies. As long as I set up both w/ the filter as you describe, it should work?

3) I don't see how to make the "custom text" option work. When I select it, I don't seem to have an option to put the custom text in anywhere.

I think that's it for now... Thanks for chiming in!

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

Skjalg
Accordion man

Click to send Skjalg email.Click to visit Skjalg's website.Send a Private Message to SkjalgAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2000
Total Posts : 927

Posted 10/21/2016 3:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nordensten said...
I use the filter thus: I put hidden codes in the staff names (E.g. [VSL] Flute 1) and then the filter setting will be "If Staff Name Contains: VSL". Then that technique will only work for the staves containing "VSL". You can vary this scheme depending on you setup. Works great.

Brilliant!
The filter is buggy and unstable in many cases (F2014.5). I often have to use MIDI channel for filtering, as that function always works. But your workaround sounds great; I'm looking forward to check it out!

Skjalg Bjørstad, Norway

Finale 3.0.6 > 2014.5, Macbook Pro OS X El Capitan (10.10.3), 8 gB RAM, 750 gB, Garritan JABB, GPO full version, Garritan COMB, Komplete 8 (Kontakt 5 etc.); Akai MPK mini, PreSonus AudioBox USB, Logic Pro X A live recording here.

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/21/2016 4:51 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's just not working very well for me. What happens is, when I'm looking at the actual instrument - say a Kontakt instance, I can see that the keyswitch is being pressed, but it's being pressed in addition to, not instead of, the previous keyswitch.

I'll give you an example. I'm using a Spitfire Trumpet for my trumpet 1, and I've hidden "Spit" in its staff name.

So I create an HP pref for 1/2 tone trills. I'm attaching a picture rather than tell you everything I did w/ that. You'll see that the half-tone trill should cause keyswitch 31.

Then, I press play on Finale, while watching the Kontakt instance w/ the Spitfire trumpet. And I see that KS 31 IS pressed (G1), but it is pressed in addition to C1, which is the basic setting, and no change occurs.

This must be in some way connected to the fact that I am having strange artifacts in playback. Stuck notes - and clear instances of keyswitches occurring that I haven't entered in any way. I thought it was because I just hadn't deactivated the VSL preferences on non-VSL SE instruments. But that doesn't seem to be it.

If I enter the same keyswitch (G1) in as a hidden note in layer 4, it works as it should. I keep deciding I have no time to fight this fight anymore, and I keep jumping back in! Success feels so close...

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
HP settings example.tiff
  152KB (image/tiff)
This image has been viewed 318 time(s).

nordensten
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to nordenstenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 10/22/2016 5:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Shnootre said...
nordensten - that's great. I actually just started playing with that, but it didn't occur to me that I could make the lib. name hidden (I assume that's how you do it?)

I have a couple of questions - and YOU'RE it for tech support on this subject :)

1) Does the order of placement matter in the list of instruments?

For instance, if I have specifications for Clarinet, and list them before the winds, is it assumed that those specifications take precedence over any for general Winds?

2) Does the system deal well with multiple instruments using different libs? I have two clarinets and two trumpets, each split between two different companies. As long as I set up both w/ the filter as you describe, it should work?

3) I don't see how to make the "custom text" option work. When I select it, I don't seem to have an option to put the custom text in anywhere.

I think that's it for now... Thanks for chiming in!

Re 1) AFAIK the answer is No. HP will scan the techniques, and if it finds one for a specific instrument like clarinet, it will use that rather than the generic one for winds. I think this is somewhere in the documentation too :)

Re 2) As long as each instrument has its own staff there are no problems. That's my case, because I use the "staff codes" as filter. If you are hosting the VSTs in Finale itself, then you may be able to set another filter parameter, such as "If MIDI channel numer is:" or "If Device name contains"... I haven't explored these options.

3) When using custom text you put the text in the Filter box. These are (as far as I've been able to determine by trial and error) scanned top>down, so one also need to employ various (hidden character) tricks when using them with multiple libraries at once. E.g.: "[DimStrVln1]Staccatiss", "[Sable]Staccatiss" etc. etc.
Now that Dorico is out and Makemusic can lower their shoulders, I do hope they will sit down and extend the Human Playback system! :)

Cubase 8.5 Pro & Reaper - Vienna Ensemble Pro - Ircam SPAT - Hauptwerk 4 - (Overture 5) - Dorico
Libraries: VSL, Spitfire, Orchestral Tools, Xsample, Embertone, Wallander, Pianoteq, Sample Modeling, EWQL +++

nordensten
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 10/22/2016 5:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Shnootre said...
It's just not working very well for me. What happens is, when I'm looking at the actual instrument - say a Kontakt instance, I can see that the keyswitch is being pressed, but it's being pressed in addition to, not instead of, the previous keyswitch.

I'll give you an example. I'm using a Spitfire Trumpet for my trumpet 1, and I've hidden "Spit" in its staff name.

So I create an HP pref for 1/2 tone trills. I'm attaching a picture rather than tell you everything I did w/ that. You'll see that the half-tone trill should cause keyswitch 31.

Then, I press play on Finale, while watching the Kontakt instance w/ the Spitfire trumpet. And I see that KS 31 IS pressed (G1), but it is pressed in addition to C1, which is the basic setting, and no change occurs.

This must be in some way connected to the fact that I am having strange artifacts in playback. Stuck notes - and clear instances of keyswitches occurring that I haven't entered in any way. I thought it was because I just hadn't deactivated the VSL preferences on non-VSL SE instruments. But that doesn't seem to be it.

If I enter the same keyswitch (G1) in as a hidden note in layer 4, it works as it should. I keep deciding I have no time to fight this fight anymore, and I keep jumping back in! Success feels so close...

I'm sorry it doesn't work for you... At first glance your setup appears to be correct. BUT I'm probably not the right person to address this, as I'm solely on Windows, and we seem to have a lot less issues than the Mac community overall, not only with Finale.

There are KONTAKT libraries out there which respon badly to key switching in general. I'm not a techie, so I'm just assuming that is because the Libraries are so heavily scripted, and the code can't keep up. Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust the timing of HP generated Key Switches in Finale. (I hope MakeMusic will address this one day). I had big problems with Orchestral Tools' CAPSULE until well past version 2. With Spitfire (I only use Sable now) I see I've ended up using UACC (Controller codes rather than Key Switches). There are others... Xsample, on the other hand, which works without problems (Also using Controller codes rather than KS's by default.) Also, there are (in my experience) never a problem with any of the Vienna stuff.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but keep asking if you think I might sit on a clue...

Post Edited (nordensten) : 10/22/2016 5:46:30 AM (GMT-5)

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/22/2016 10:08 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is all VERY helpful actually. I have been thinking I need to get up to speed on the Spitfire UACC codes - it's very difficult because Spitfire provides no documentation with anything, and I haven't found a clear explanation of how to use UACC. If you cld direct me to something I'd be much obliged.

I'm dealing w/ many of these libraries. I picked up the basic vol. of VSL SE just because I thought it would work better w/ HP, and be a step up from Garritan. And that seems to be true, although I am also having some real issues with unwanted keyswitches being generated by the HP settings; and as soon as you mention VSL to Finale, or Finale to VSL, they're more or less OUT as far as tech support goes!

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/22/2016 10:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
One thing I do, and I wonder if others do, is that if I have an actual channel change to make, I tend to set it up as an instrument. So for instance, for my C Trumpet 1, I have a different patch for harmon mute, and another one for straight mute (coming from 3 totally different libs). So I set up Bb Trumpet in the instrument list to have no transposition, show up as C trumpet, and have my harmon patch. And I set up D trumpet to be the same, and have my straight mute patch. (And actually right now, I've got a third patch - cornet - for flutter tongue). This is sort of a pain to set up, but the advantage once it's working is that playback is always correct, no matter where you start. (Sometimes w/ the keyswitchy stuff, you don't get the right sound if you start after a certain keyswitch has been pressed - though I tend to think HP is supposed to handle this?)

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/22/2016 11:40 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
But... just discovered something new in connection with the above. If you have an instrument change (and corresponding staff name change), the HP preferences don't recognize the new staff as the staff name. I had a tpt (spitfire) switch to a muted sound (vsl), but I discovered the keyswitches were still connected to the Spitfire.

I guess it makes sense to try to bring this things into line as much as possible. That's why I love VSL's and Orchestral Tools' interfaces where you can put the keyswitches wherever you want them.

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

nordensten
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 10/22/2016 11:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Shnootre said...
But... just discovered something new in connection with the above. If you have an instrument change (and corresponding staff name change), the HP preferences don't recognize the new staff as the staff name. I had a tpt (spitfire) switch to a muted sound (vsl), but I discovered the keyswitches were still connected to the Spitfire.

I guess it makes sense to try to bring this things into line as much as possible. That's why I love VSL's and Orchestral Tools' interfaces where you can put the keyswitches wherever you want them.

Yes, indeed, it makes sense to unify the articulation switching between libraries as much as possible. That's the reason why I use custom matrices in VIP (a thing you normally can't talk about as it confuses most people apparently ::)) If you switch instrument and channel on the same staff, then the filter I mentioned initially will not work. But I'd guess "If Midi Channel is:" could work, even though it would probably be ideal if one could have two filters in such cases... Staff name changes are probably ignored, but I'm on thin ice here. Firstly, because channel switching hasn't worked on my system since F2012 (haven't yet tested it thoroughly in 25), secondly because I only use Sample Modeling Brass, where all the mutes is a simple controller code sent from an expression.

nordensten
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 10/22/2016 12:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Shnootre said...
This is all VERY helpful actually. I have been thinking I need to get up to speed on the Spitfire UACC codes - it's very difficult because Spitfire provides no documentation with anything, and I haven't found a clear explanation of how to use UACC. If you cld direct me to something I'd be much obliged.

I'm dealing w/ many of these libraries. I picked up the basic vol. of VSL SE just because I thought it would work better w/ HP, and be a step up from Garritan. And that seems to be true, although I am also having some real issues with unwanted keyswitches being generated by the HP settings; and as soon as you mention VSL to Finale, or Finale to VSL, they're more or less OUT as far as tech support goes!

That is strange, I haven't had any problems with unwanted KS'es... Well, Andi at VSL takes Finale seriously, but I don't know about the other way round. I think the genius who wrote HP for Makemusic (Robert Piechaud, if I'm not mistaken) is about the only one who know all it's secrets. I'm not sure if they still cooperate. If not, I don't think HP will ever be updated to the current requirements...

The UACC codes are listed on the Spirfire GUI, so it's only a little bit trial and error. It does work fine in principle, but I've had strange behavior from Spirfire libraries which I wouldn't blame on Finale...

nordensten
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 10/22/2016 12:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Shnootre said...
One thing I do, and I wonder if others do, is that if I have an actual channel change to make, I tend to set it up as an instrument. So for instance, for my C Trumpet 1, I have a different patch for harmon mute, and another one for straight mute (coming from 3 totally different libs). So I set up Bb Trumpet in the instrument list to have no transposition, show up as C trumpet, and have my harmon patch. And I set up D trumpet to be the same, and have my straight mute patch. (And actually right now, I've got a third patch - cornet - for flutter tongue). This is sort of a pain to set up, but the advantage once it's working is that playback is always correct, no matter where you start. (Sometimes w/ the keyswitchy stuff, you don't get the right sound if you start after a certain keyswitch has been pressed - though I tend to think HP is supposed to handle this?)

Yes, HP will chase from the beginning of the file. When it fails to start with the correct articulation, I think the reason is that this chase happens so quickly that (especiialy) Kontakt libraries can't respond quick enough. This tend to happen a lot while using lots of Midi CC#s. If you dump Midi out from Finale into a sequencer, it's an eye opener with regard to how Finale behaves, and all the stuff it sends out, as you initiate playback...

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/22/2016 12:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
nordensten said...
Yes, indeed, it makes sense to unify the articulation switching between libraries as much as possible. That's the reason why I use custom matrices in VIP (a thing you normally can't talk about as it confuses most people apparently ::)) If you switch instrument and channel on the same staff, then the filter I mentioned initially will not work. But I'd guess "If Midi Channel is:" could work, even though it would probably be ideal if one could have two filters in such cases... Staff name changes are probably ignored, but I'm on thin ice here. Firstly, because channel switching hasn't worked on my system since F2012 (haven't yet tested it thoroughly in 25), secondly because I only use Sample Modeling Brass, where all the mutes is a simple controller code sent from an expression.

It's funny - when I started getting into this stuff (it's been a quick process for me...started researching sample libraries in May/June, and then accrued a bunch, partially thanks to a university grant) everybody warned me VSL was too complicated, and that Spitfire, Orchestral Tools et al. sounded better. I came to VSL towards the end of my build-up, and I really love their interface AND their sounds. It feels very natural and intuitive to me, and it also seems like their stuff responds better to the HP preferences than other libraries. I think from here on this is where I'll be building.

Sadly, Andi at VSL sort of brushed me off. He's been helpful before, but as soon as I mentioned I was using other libraries in conjunction w/ VSL, he sort of checked out. I get it, but I was hoping for something better. Overall the service from VSL has been really great.

In any case, it's become apparent to me that there are VERY few people soldiering in this direction. Most seem to see going to a DAW as a necessity. I completely see why, and I hope to. Though every time I've tried to get going important a Finale project into Logic for tweaking, it's taken hours and hasn't worked right (just the import/setup. I feel confident I'd be fine editing if I could just get things working). Also - since I very much think in terms of notation, but really get inspired by having all these great sounds, the playback is becoming more and more of my process. That's a dangerous path, as of course you don't want to be writing to the samples...and it can also be expensive. (what? this fl patch doesn't have fluttertongue? I need one that does immediately!)

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

nordensten
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2000

Posted 10/22/2016 12:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
:) I won't complain on open forums about support, but I once mentioned another organ library (than the Konzerthausorgan) on the VSL forum, and Dietz grunted (It's one of his brainchilds the Konzerthausorgan). At least MakeMusic is quite generous in this respect!

Personally I'm very much an interactive composer. I don't really NEED a computer to compose, but when it's there why not use it for some fun. But the "compose in Finale, export to DAW" paradigm has never worked for me. What I enjoy is being able to listen at all stages of the process. When I'm done composing, I just sit back in the armchair and read my printed score with a glass of Zinfandel ... :)

Jetcopy
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to JetcopyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2000
Total Posts : 4795

Posted 10/22/2016 2:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Shnootre,

I've had more success using UACC to change Spitfire articulations, rather than keyswitches. Although it hasn't been perfect.

Basically you setup the technique to trigger CC#32, from there you need to enter the number for your desired articulation. An advantage that UACC has, you can start playback anywhere in the score and the correct articulation should be sounding. UACC is sending out a constant midi value, as opposed to keyswitches, where if playback isn't chased correctly, then you won't hear the correct articulation.

Here's a blog about different ways to change articulations in Spitfire products.
syntheticorchestra.com/blog/?10

JT

Retina Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.5, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, El Capitan on separate drive

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/22/2016 2:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is all cool stuff - Jet, I will definitely experiment w/ the UACC soon.

I don't mean to diss Andi - it is clear he's done a LOT for Finale users w/ VSL, and he is pretty prompt at responding to queries both directly sent to VSL support and also on their forum.

I did just make something of a breakthrough. I had been getting frustrated that when I use the midi tool's "percent alter" feature, nothing ever seemed to happen. I just discovered - and I don't know if it's always been this way - that the default assignment for CC values for notes in finale is...there is none. Maybe this was obvious to everyone. So most notes don't have a CC value for expression or volume given to them... if you try to percent-alter it, you're percent-altering nothing. You need to use "set to."

So I just set up hotkeys w/ Keyboard maestro for all of the useful "set to" "percent alter" and "scale" functions (basically ccs 1, 7 and 11); and now, I'm discovering that I can tame misbehaving channels (because another problem I'm having between libraries is volume and control thereof) very quickly. This is one of those revelations that it's hard to share with your family.

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/22/2016 7:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Happy to report that the UACC thing solved my problem w/ Spitfire.

So as of now, I've got Spitfire and VSL libs behaving quite well.

I continue to have the same problems w/ Berlin woodwinds (Capsule) and keyswitch that I was having w/ Spitfire and keyswitches. Specifically - any keyswitch that is triggered by Human Playback seems to happen in addition to the base keyswitch. So if my keyswitches are between C1 and G1 say; I'll see switches between staccato (F#1) Sustained (C#1), all while C1 is depressed the whole time. Somebody should have a theory about this! (I know if I take the midi file into a DAW, I'll see errant keyswitches in the track that I didn't put there).

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X

Shnootre
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2000

Posted 10/24/2016 2:58 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay - I continue to make progress. I realize my instrument-switching technique is causing the wealth of my problems.

The HP Preferences for a staff seem pretty tough to change. If you have bassoon doubling w/ contra, I haven't yet found a way to actually have the HP preferences switch when the instrument does. It's not just staff name that doesn't work - it seems HP more or less assumes whichever instrument was set first, remains.

So I had two VSL patches, bassoon and c. bassoon, but the bassoon's keyswitches were in the C1 octave, while the c bsn's were in the C6. when I had c. bsn playing, HP was sending keyswitches in accordance with the playing notation, but those keyswitches were in the playing range of the c bsn. (the solution, of course, is to put the keyswitches for BOTH in the c6 octave, which is easy to do in VI Pro).

I'll be a jedi yet, one day...

Daniel Sonenberg
OSX 10.9.4
16 gig ram
GPO4 full and JABB3
Finale 25
Logic X