Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > What Happened To The Movie Window?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Dainis
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Dainis's website.Send a Private Message to DainisAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 61

Posted 12/6/2016 6:42 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I upgraded to v25 (or maybe it's called f25, not sure), and I just had a quick project, where I wanted to score along with a 4-5 minute long video. I figured, cool, I'll go in, be able to set the rhythm to the film (aligning the beats), and then I'll just create a quick score.

My inner assumption was: well I have the latest version of Finale, so, I'm confident that those basic features will work.

But it looks like the whole "movie" functionality is gone.

Umm, so score to a movie, really all ppl need is to be able to see the film and make sure that finale can match beats to the audio track. Obviously, it would be great if velocity were also measured, but most primitively, all we'd need finale to be able to do is play a MIDI file along with the audio track of the film -- and show us the picture.

It kind of amazes me that the feature is just "gone."

What are we supposed to do?

I provide composition and songwriting resources
at: www.music-composition-studio.com
The site is young and growing, and I welcome
your feedback!

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 12/6/2016 7:20 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MakeMusic wrote a lot about this on their blog. Finale now supports ReWire, so that you can "slave" Finale to a DAW like Logic, which has better handling of movie syncing. It's not something I do, so don't know whether it does indeed make for a better feature than the old Movie Window, which was not without problems.

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Dainis
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Dainis's website.Send a Private Message to DainisAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 12/6/2016 7:48 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
it just seems like a super easy task to fulfill within finale. i've read that the syncing thing just plain doesn't work.

and all that would be happening -- is positioning midi beats to a timeline. i mean, it sounds like a pretty easy task. play this beat, then.

your feedback!

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 12/6/2016 9:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There were some improvements made to ReWire in 25.1 that may have helped. But ReWire certainly worked even in 25.0.

I would certainly try it, rather than write it off without doing so.

Finale v.25.1, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.11.6 / 10.12.1)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Dainis
Registered Member

Date Joined Apr 2004

Posted 12/6/2016 10:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i am sooo not a fan of "tech set ups" that then, of course, wind up obsolete. i like composing, you know?

i might give it a shot, but rrrg.

your feedback!