Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Poll : Should this forum be kept alive ?  Forum Quick Jump

Should this forum be kept alive ?
Yes - 95.6%
No - 2.9%
No opinion - 1.5%

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003
Total Posts : 2232

Posted 12/3/2016 8:10 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As the reactions appear in many places, a poll like this one will show MakeMusic how users feel.

Michel
Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2012c (main), MacOsX 10.11.6, Mac Mini Intel i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express.

jim dukey
Registered Member

Click to send jim dukey email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jim dukeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1082

Posted 12/3/2016 10:55 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
YES.

Molecular Computer, Powered by Fusion in a Jar. Finale 3000, Wireless ESP Module, No Physical Interface, Printed Parts Manifest by The Universe,
SOOOO Boring! Now Everybody is Friggin' Mozart.

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/3/2016 3:16 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I would suggest that either this poll, or the windows one, should be eliminated. Let's keep all of the voting in a single place. With, of course, a note directing to the "active" one.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

bvstudios
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to bvstudiosAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2010
Total Posts : 156

Posted 12/3/2016 5:21 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Agree.

K M Frye

Finale 2014.5, PM 2011, 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2000

GPO4, WORLD, JABB3

M-Audio, Boss JS8, Roland VSC-55 Sound Canvas, Rhodes 660 workstation, Roland MC-50 composer (yeh- it's old, but it works if you can find the floppies), Reaper 4.32
Windows 7

michelp
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit michelp's website.Send a Private Message to michelpAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2003

Posted 12/4/2016 6:29 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike Rosen said...
I would suggest that either this poll, or the windows one, should be eliminated. Let's keep all of the voting in a single place. With, of course, a note directing to the "active" one.

The Windows poll is logically the one to keep if we do it. The problem is that the deleted poll will make us lose a bunch of votes (36 right now in the Mac poll), which cannot be added automatically to the Windows poll.
We will have to convince the Mac members to recast their vote again.
Should I proceed ?

P.S.: I'm not sure how to delete a poll...I don't see the option anywhere when I edit my first message. Maybe I should just delete it. But will the following messages remain intact ? The comments are worth being kept...

Michel
Finale 25.1, 2014.5, 2012c (main), MacOsX 10.11.6, Mac Mini Intel i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express.

Post Edited (michelp) : 12/4/2016 6:31:53 AM (GMT-6)

David Ward
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit David Ward's website.Send a Private Message to David WardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2009
Total Posts : 2834

Posted 12/4/2016 7:28 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
michelp said...
… …Should I proceed ?
FWIW I think it's now a bit late to change and we should probably leave things as they are.

David Ward
www.composers-uk.com/davidward

Finale 2014d & 2014.5 with Mac 10.9.5 & 10.11.6
Finale 2010b with Mac 10.6.8
full TGTools

Since 2001 have used F 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014

“We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” JFK

michelp
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2003

Posted 12/4/2016 7:36 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The reason I have created 2 polls was precisely to achieve maximum visibility, both on the Windows and the Mac side, and thus a maximum of votes.
I would tend to leave things like they are. It is not difficult to make the sum of votes and get the global picture.

Michel

jim dukey
Registered Member

Click to send jim dukey email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to jim dukeyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 1082

Posted 12/4/2016 11:07 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is so much More than just a Forum.
It's a Community, a Social Club.
It would actually create a hole in my life if it disappears.
Please don't do it, MM!

Molecular Computer, Powered by Fusion in a Jar. Finale 3000, Wireless ESP Module, No Physical Interface, Printed Parts Manifest by The Universe,
SOOOO Boring! Now Everybody is Friggin' Mozart.

Bret Boulon
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bret BoulonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2003
Total Posts : 106

Posted 12/4/2016 11:56 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In the meantime, can you guys go to feature requests and vote ?
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/200449177-Finale-Feature-Requests

Bret

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/4/2016 1:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No, if we all go there, even if we vote to eliminate the worthless forum, MM will look at it as a sign of how many people are visiting.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/4/2016 2:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think it matters much if there are two polls. The point is to show overall opinion--the numbers don't matter much when it is virtually unanimous.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

michelp
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2003

Posted 12/5/2016 2:20 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
...keep voting !

Michel

michelp
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2003

Posted 12/8/2016 7:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Situation on December 8, 2016. The numbers speak for themselves :

Should this forum be kept alive ?
PC poll :
Yes : 75 (96,2%)
No : 3 (3,8 %)

Mac poll :
Yes : 54 (96,4%)
No : 2 (3,6%)

TOTALS :
Yes : 129 (96,3%)
No : 5 (3,7%)

(N.B. : many comments to support the Yes, not 1 supporting the No)

MakeMusic, do you get the message ?

Michel

Post Edited (michelp) : 12/8/2016 8:30:59 AM (GMT-6)

BvdPress
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to BvdPressAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2001
Total Posts : 1006

Posted 12/8/2016 9:49 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
MakeMusic has been pretty loud and clear that they both have not gotten the message and do not care what their user base thinks. But I think many of us knew this already...

Bryan Doughty
BVD Press, Music Express, BrassWorks4, Timber Ridge Music,
Kiwi Press, Serendipity Press and Cimarron Music Press
bvdpress@gmail.com
http://www.cimarronmusic.com/

Vaughan
Registered Member

Click to send Vaughan email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to VaughanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 1999
Total Posts : 4984

Posted 12/8/2016 11:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
From a recent support case about font handling problems in which I mentioned the [unwise] shutdown of this forum:

Please know that we are aware that font handling has been a "sore spot" for some customers, and that we are actively trying to resolve issues as they arise. As for the Forum, do know that we are not trying to stifle this valuable resource; in fact, we have established a new Finale Community Forum that we are trying to get our customer base to use:
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/200656208-Finale-General-Discussion-Questions
I hope that this makes sense.

IOW, MM doesn't see the shutdown of this forum as a hindrance to the user community. Unfortunately MM doesn't acknowledge how a lack of functionality in the new forum, even compared to this ancient one, discourages many users from migrating there, nor do they seem to notice the lack of user interaction in the new forum.

Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 25.1, Sibelius 4 - 7
Patterson's plugins, Tobias' plugins, full version, waiting for Jari's plugin update
MacOS 10.12
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2011) 8 GB

Amsterdam

michelp
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2003

Posted 12/8/2016 11:57 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The expression "There’s none so deaf as those who will not hear" applies in this case.

Michel

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/8/2016 12:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Likely they dismiss this as "we're not killing this forum, just moving it." I'm guessing they're thinking that the new forums aren't very useful because everybody is playing over here, and that forcing us over there will fix its problems. We'll see, I guess.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

michelp
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2003

Posted 12/20/2016 12:52 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Update on Dec. 20 :
TOTAL (PC + Mac) :
Yes : 145
No : 7

Including the "oops" votes which could not be cancelled.

Michel
Finale 25.2, 2014.5, 2012c main, MacOsX 10.11.6, Mac Mini Intel i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express.

Writer of Music
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Writer of MusicAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 848

Posted 12/20/2016 1:07 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And still not a single 'no' voter who cared to motivate, whereas the 'yes' voters have been quite vocal all along.

Finale 25.2
Mac OS X 10.11.6.

Post Edited (Writer of Music) : 12/21/2016 11:15:03 AM (GMT-6)

Andrew Harrison
Registered Member

Click to send Andrew Harrison email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Andrew HarrisonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 136

Posted 12/21/2016 7:23 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi all,

Just logged in and saw this poll. Not sure why it's happening exactly, but the answer is a definite YES to keeping the forum alive!

ANDREW HARRISON

Andrew Harrison
Composer/pianist
www.andrewharrison.com.au
twitter:@AHarrisonMusic
Mac Pro running 10.7.5, Finale 2014d.v5545
Macbook Pro running 10.11.2, Finale 2014.5.7098

michelp
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2003

Posted 12/21/2016 7:38 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Read this announcement : forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=489236&p=1.

Michel
Finale 25.2, 2014.5, 2012c main, MacOsX 10.11.6, Mac Mini Intel i7 2,7 Ghz, 16 Go Ram, French azerty kb, Dolet 6. Full TGTools. MOTU Audio Express.