Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > SmartScore X2 vs PhotoScore  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

KitFernuel
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to KitFernuelAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2015
Total Posts : 4

Posted 12/21/2016 10:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have searched this forum for comparisons between these two music-scanning programs. Unfortunately, those I've found are dated (2010 +/- 2 years). Is there anyone out there that has done (or would do) more than casual comparison of these two technologies employing at least a semblance of scientific method? Both programs have evolved significantly since those precambrian days.

NOTE: This is not a discussion about why MakeMusic had to drop SSLite from Finale v25. That's another topic altogether.

Zoots
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZootsAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2010
Total Posts : 385

Posted 12/21/2016 10:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I think you are better served by trying the demo versions of both programs with the type of music you want to scan.

Finale 2012c
JABB3/Aria

Smartscore Pro X2

Windows 10

Intel i7 with more than I need

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 12/22/2016 12:09 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Agreed. It's not likely that you will find someone who has spent the money for both, and, more importantly, really learned how to use both of them equally well.

I use SmartScore Pro, and I'm happy with it. That's as far as I can go with a recommendation.

Mike Rosen
www.specialmillwork.com

Bass with Choir of the Sound www.choirofthesound.org
Volunteer copyist (The Gang of Twelve) for the Barbershop Harmony Society
FINALE TIPS at www.specialmillwork.com/finale-tips-and-tricks/index.html

Finale 2014.5 on El Capitan
Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard, numberpad. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Ebony Ivory
On Ebony And Ivory I'll Tinkle All Day Long

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4594

Posted 12/22/2016 6:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
As just noted in a parallel thread, I decided to give SmartScore X2 a bash this morning, and downloaded the demo. And here is what I got when I tried to run it:

Not impressed.

Brian

Ebony Ivory
On Ebony And Ivory I'll Tinkle All Day Long

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4594

Posted 12/22/2016 6:43 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Haha! That was fixed easily enough: just went into RegEdit, and deleted the "Musitek" key. Then the demo started OK.

Brian

Charles Lawrence
Registered Member

Click to send Charles Lawrence email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Charles LawrenceAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 3638

Posted 12/22/2016 11:25 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I agree with Zoots and Mike.

Nonetheless, here are a couple of threads on the subject.

http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=425358

http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=6&m=454731#ttop

I also use SharpEye for some quick jobs.  It works great within its limitations.  As discussed in the above threads,  SharpEye is the predecessor to PhotoScore and no longer in development.

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!"

Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 10586)

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total)
32638 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory, 17514.37 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 - 4GB [Display adapter]
ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard, Realtek HD Audio

Finale 2014.5.6359, Finale 25.2.0.92
Garritan GPO4.02

Cakewalk SONAR X3 - (X3e build 244) - x64, Sound Forge Audio Studio 10.0, Audacity 2.1.0
Sharpeye 2.68, PhotoScore Ultimate 7.0.2, SmartScore X2 Pro 10.5.8

"There is a world of difference between a person who has a big problem and a person who makes a problem big." – John Maxwell