Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Smart Music 2010 - digital signature  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

angelav6
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to angelav6AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2006
Total Posts : 28

Posted 7/31/2009 12:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have downloaded Smart Music 2010 but it won't install and the error message says that is does not have a "digital signature."  What should I do to get around this? (My computer is running Windows XP Home Edition)

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 7/31/2009 8:06 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I haven't ever had that message actually block me from installing, but looking around the net, I see that other people have run into that with a variety of programs. Here's a potential solution from one of those discussions:

In Internet Explorer, go to the Tools menu (alt-t) and go to the Advanced tab. Scroll down to the Security section and find the option for "Allow software to run or install even if the certificate is invalid" and check it. Then uncheck the option for "Check for signatures on downloaded programs." Download the upgrade again and try to run it. When  you're finished, change both of those settings back to the way they were.

If that doesn't do it, my last stab is to suggest running the installer in administrator mode (right-click it, choose properties, and look through the tabs for this option).

There's a lot of mention of this problem happening for people when trying to run downloaded installers, so perhaps this wouldn't be an issue for you with the CD.

angelav6
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to angelav6AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2006

Posted 8/1/2009 1:06 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thank you Tyler

Yes, that did it.

Smart Music 2010 looks great!

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 4504

Posted 8/1/2009 4:34 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

I'm glad Tyler's suggestion of overriding Window's anti-malware security did the trick for you, and you can also be pretty comfortable with the results if you downloaded SmartMusic 10 directly from a known MakeMusic website, but I would urge you never to do this with software from anything other than 100% known, reliable software companies.

The whole digital signature thing is to prove that what your packages says it is, really is what it is. Suppose someone else had downloaded and tampered with the SmartMusic 10 package, perhaps to hack it, or (more likely) to install some form of spyware, virus, or whatever, and then tried to pass it off as "genuine" SmartMusic 10, it's this very digital signature test that would alert you to the problem. The same even goes simply for a file which was damaged in transit across the Internet.

So good luck, and let's all hope your copy of SmartMusic 10 is all you hope it is, but please, please, take extreme care and think very hard before trying this trick again.

Brian

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001

Posted 8/1/2009 5:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Saffron said...

I'm glad Tyler's suggestion of overriding Window's anti-malware security did the trick for you, and you can also be pretty comfortable with the results if you downloaded SmartMusic 10 directly from a known MakeMusic website, but I would urge you never to do this with software from anything other than 100% known, reliable software companies.

The whole digital signature thing is to prove that what your packages says it is, really is what it is. Suppose someone else had downloaded and tampered with the SmartMusic 10 package, perhaps to hack it, or (more likely) to install some form of spyware, virus, or whatever, and then tried to pass it off as "genuine" SmartMusic 10, it's this very digital signature test that would alert you to the problem. The same even goes simply for a file which was damaged in transit across the Internet.

So good luck, and let's all hope your copy of SmartMusic 10 is all you hope it is, but please, please, take extreme care and think very hard before trying this trick again.

Brian

Agreed. I was surprised by the apps this was happening to people with when I looked into it. That tip was given for a user trying to install the McAfee download manager from McAfee.com. It was also affecting someone trying to install Skype and someone else installing iTunes. I get the impression there's some odd state Windows/IE can get into where it blocks all downloaded applications from installing and doesn't even give the usual override choice.

Saffron
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to SaffronAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 8/1/2009 5:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, these things do happen - and can be for totally harmless reasons. For example, MM might have made a last minute change to SM10, having already sent the digital signature of what they previously thought was the "gold" version up to a certificate server; or they might have sent the correct final signature, but it may not yet have propagated around the web.

So sure, there are many "benign" reasons why a digital signature test fails - it's just that I tend to err on the side of caution, and figure I'll wait a couple of days and try the download again!

Brian

Tyler
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2001

Posted 8/1/2009 8:41 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Saffron said...
Yes, these things do happen - and can be for totally harmless reasons. For example, MM might have made a last minute change to SM10, having already sent the digital signature of what they previously thought was the "gold" version up to a certificate server; or they might have sent the correct final signature, but it may not yet have propagated around the web.

So sure, there are many "benign" reasons why a digital signature test fails - it's just that I tend to err on the side of caution, and figure I'll wait a couple of days and try the download again!

Brian
I guess what I'm saying is that something seems unusual here. When I download the SmartMusic installer with IE and run it, it identifies the publisher as MakeMusic and has no issues. From the sound of those reports I was reading it seemed as if some people were getting false positives on any applicaton they download.

angelav6
Registered Member

Date Joined Mar 2006

Posted 8/1/2009 11:53 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for the information Brian, I have reset the tick box in the Tools/Advanced/Security area, and hope everything will be OK.

Saffron
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 8/3/2009 6:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Angela & Tyler, you're almost certainly fine, and good luck - simply, take care next time! :-)

Brian