Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > SmartMusic - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Just how do you make SmartMusic music??  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

MotherofTen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotherofTenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 4

Posted 1/14/2005 6:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Do you just type the piano notes into Finale, and then does Finale automatically add the orchestra parts?

I am a newbie, so please bear with me. :)

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 1/14/2005 11:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You actually write the music out in Finale the way that you want it to sound in SmartMusic. So I'm afraid there's no instant solution. Of course, the accompaniments don't have to be for orchestra. Piano, guitar, etc. works fine as well.

Also, just so there isn't any confusion, the SmartMusic program comes with a ton of accompaniments already done for you. I'm assuming you're talking about making your own SmartMusic files for songs which you didn't find included with SmartMusic.

Windows XP, all updates

MotherofTen
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotherofTenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 4

Posted 1/28/2005 10:13 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I am talking about adding music . I use Smart Music now and just love it! I am a clarinet player.

So what you are saying is that you have to add each and every orchestral part to get a SmartMusic file- that you want to add - to resemble what comes with the program?

So what do they mean by "Intelligent Accompaniment"?

Thanks so much for your help.

Tyler
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to TylerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2001
Total Posts : 3586

Posted 1/28/2005 11:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes. Generally, anything you want in the SmartMusic Accompaniments that you create from Finale, you have to create yourself. Finale does have some tools for helping you create some simple types of accompaniments if you first enter chord symbols, but depending on the style you are writing in, these could easily not be appropriate. Have a look at the Band-in-a-Box and MIBAC plug-ins for more information about that.

Now, keep in mind that many of the accompaniments that come with SmartMusic are not orchestrated for a complete orchestra. Many are just for piano and a solo instrument/voice. You can do the same if you don't feel like writing for an entire orchestra. Also, you don't have to have any accompaniment at all. I make lots of files with just the solo instrument for my students to play along with, making use of the assessment feature so that it grades them. One of the biggest things for my students is just having something that plays the correct rhythm and pitches with them with a tempo they can adjust.

Windows XP, all updates