Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Struggling with page format (again) - any way to see what the current settings are?  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
26 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dave LangAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 364

Posted 5/18/2016 10:38 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I just can't figure out page formatting in Finale.

I have a two page document that works great - but the settings are such that if I go to three pages everything changes.

I can't figure out how to see what the settings are for the first two pages (the format that I like) so that I can set the entire document to be the same.

If I go to "Document" "Page Format" "Score" I see the settings that I can tell are the ones I DON'T want - like I said above, I can't figure out how to see what the page format settings are for page 1 & 2 so that I can fix what Finale wants the settings to be.

Does that make sense? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

MacBook Pro Retina 15" (late 2013), OSX 10.11.4, Finale 2014.5

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 5/18/2016 10:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
You must have changed the settings after the fact with the Page Layout tool. You should be able to go there and look at the margins, etc., for the first page. Explore the Page Layout menu.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dave LangAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 5/18/2016 10:50 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Motet - thanks for the reply!

I didn't change the settings after but don't want to argue - the problem is related to zoom levels etc. and much more complex stuff than just the page margins.

Make sense?

Is there any way to see what ALL the page format settings for a particular page are? That way I can fix the document.

I've never been able to understand this.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 5/18/2016 10:56 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I don't think so.

You must have done something, otherwise the pages would conform to the global page format setting like the newly-created page 3. All I suggest is to look at the other Page Layout menu items, e.g. Resize Staff Systems. If you open one of those for a page you like, you can change the form to apply it to page 3 as well.

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 5/18/2016 11:01 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay here is the doc so you can see what the problem is - the additional pages are way way way different. Try adding some measures..... ARgh. If I can't figure this out I'll have to make two separate 2 page documents (so I can get 4 properly formatted pages) to meet a deadline. Frustrating!

thanks again for your help

dave

File Attachment :
format_argh.musx   84KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 237 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 5/18/2016 11:04 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are at least 2 tools that can give you all the information you need. The Page Layout Tool for one. The Resize Tool for another.

If you are familiar with these Tools and know what the numbers stand for, then you have all (or most of) the data you need. If you need help with it, maybe post a file so we can check it out for you.

Zuill

P.S.: The third page is probably using the settings in the Page Format menu.

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5 

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 5/18/2016 11:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Zuill - see above - file posted - thanks for your help

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 5/18/2016 11:10 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This file seems to be a part. Extracted? The settings for parts seem to match what you want. However, the settings for Score are different. Look at the settings for Parts and copy those to the Score settings.

Zuill

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 5/18/2016 11:14 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It's not an "extracted" part but it is a part - how does Finale decide whether it's a part or a score? Is there a setting somewhere?

thanks again
dave

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 5/18/2016 11:18 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you opened a new file and created it as a part, it is still a Score. Look in the Document menu and you'll see there are no linked parts generated. So, this is technically a Score, even though it only has one part.

Zuill

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 5/18/2016 11:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Okay - the "parts" settings don't exactly match what I had on the other pages but I think I can use the "Page Layout" tool to fix the additional pages - the zoom appears to be the same so the notes / etc are the same size.

Is there really no way to just "extend" the existing format (p1 for example) through the entire document or to at least see what the existing (p1 for example) format is?

as always - thanks for your help,

dave

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 5/18/2016 11:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes. In the Score Setup in the Document Menu.

Zuill

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 5/18/2016 11:24 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I spoke too soon - still disaster - trying to match p1 & p2 just isn't happening.

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 5/18/2016 11:25 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
All I want to do is add two pages that look the same as the two pages I already have. I feel like I'm using a beta version of Lotus 1-2-3.

arrrrgh

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 5/18/2016 11:26 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This shouldn't be this hard.

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 5/18/2016 11:27 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Score Setup in the Document menu does not show what the existing pages are - it only shows what Finale wants the pages to be.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 5/18/2016 11:29 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Okay. Look at these 2 pictures from your file. Take the settings in the Parts setup and enter them manually into the Score setup and you should be fine, I think.

Zuill

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Page Format for Parts.JPG
  53KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 140 time(s).
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
Page Format for Score.JPG
  55KB (image/pjpeg)
This image has been viewed 166 time(s).

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 5/18/2016 11:31 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I did that already and it did not result in a third / fourth page that looked the same.

Thanks again for your help - frustrated with the software, not you.

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 5/18/2016 11:41 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Here's your file revised. I did also look in the Page Layout Tool and found your page margins there, which were different than in the Part Layout. So, I first matched the Score to the Part settings, then finished with the page margins which you must have manually dragged, as the numbers are quite unusual.

Zuill

File Attachment :
format_argh Revised.musx   84KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 227 time(s).

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 5/18/2016 11:47 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks Zuill - I'm going to take a minute and try and re-create what you did on another file. The margins etc. are set that way to try and get as much info on one page as possible to try and keep parts to two pages - avoiding page flips - which for obvious reasons is pretty important to the bass player / guitar player / drummer etc.

Rebecca Oswald
Registered Member

Click to send Rebecca Oswald email.Click to visit Rebecca Oswald's website.Send a Private Message to Rebecca OswaldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 438

Posted 5/19/2016 12:03 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi Dave,

Does this work for you? (see attachment)

Rebecca

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, OS 10.8.5;
Finale 2014d; Cubase Studio 4; GPO, JABB, C&MB; several EWQL libraries;
Korg 01w/fd, Roland A88, and a Baldwin Hamilton

File Attachment :
format_argh.musx   90KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 218 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 5/19/2016 12:15 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Are there any differences between your file and the one I posted earlier? Just curious.

Zuill

Rebecca Oswald
Registered Member

Click to send Rebecca Oswald email.Click to visit Rebecca Oswald's website.Send a Private Message to Rebecca OswaldAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2005
Total Posts : 438

Posted 5/19/2016 12:26 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ah, I guess not. On mine I added two pages of measures but I see yours functions correctly if he were to do so himself. It was a fun solve though.

R.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, OS 10.8.5;
Finale 2014d; Cubase Studio 4; GPO, JABB, C&MB; several EWQL libraries;
Korg 01w/fd, Roland A88, and a Baldwin Hamilton

Dave Lang
Registered Member

Date Joined Nov 2010

Posted 5/19/2016 1:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
thanks to both of you - I can't imagine working with this software without all the help I've received over the years

cheers!
dave

God's servant
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to God's servantAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2016
Total Posts : 73

Posted 6/6/2016 6:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just to be clear; is the problem officially solved?