Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > (No Subject)

Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

LP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to LPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2015
Total Posts : 22

Posted 12/29/2016 3:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have been trying to use the decresendo mark (the greater than arrow). I can place it where I want it, but when I play it back the song doesn't fade out. (This is the end of the song). Any suggestions? Please give me step by step instructions. I am just a hobbyist - not a trained musician. Thank you.
FINALE 2014.5, Windows 7, not using any MIDI (do I need too?).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003
Total Posts : 29077

Posted 12/29/2016 4:03 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
if you put a p or pp dynamic at the end of the decrescendo does it work?

Zuill

"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Win 7 64bit, 2011b, 2012c, 2014d, 2014.5, 25.2

Favorite Forum quote: "Please, everybody, IGNORE THE TROLL!"

LP
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to LPAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2015
Total Posts : 22

Posted 12/29/2016 4:34 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, yes and no. The melody does fade. I have chords with fret boards above the melody that do not fade. Why wouldn't the WHOLE arrangement fade together?

Zuill
"The Troll"

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to ZuillAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/29/2016 4:37 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Chord symbols have a mind of their own. I can't say about that. You might have to use the MIDI Tool to get a real fade out.

Zuill

P.S.: I can get a MIDI Volume fade to work, but I have to turn off HP to get it. HP has a mind of its own as well.

Post Edited (Zuill) : 12/29/2016 3:43:09 PM (GMT-6)

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009
Total Posts : 2347

Posted 12/29/2016 6:05 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Expressions do not (necessarily) affect all layers of an instrument, and chords are treated as a separate layer. Try setting the "Expressions" "layer" to the same instrument as your chords; that is apparently what the Expressions "layer" is for.

Finale 2014.5, Finale 25.1 - Windows 7 (64-bit)
GPO 5, JABB 3, World Instruments
TG Tools Full, (Sonar Platinum, Dorico)

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
decresc.png
  101KB (image/png)
This image has been viewed 411 time(s).

File Attachment :
dimTest.musx   86KB (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 431 time(s).

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/29/2016 6:22 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Unfortunately, your file doesn't change volume at all for me. When I change the instrument to piano, then the notes dim, but not the chords, even when they are on a different channel along with expressions.

Zuill

Derrek
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to DerrekAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 12/29/2016 8:32 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
The point is that the string chords dim when the Expressions is set to the string patch used in the chords (in VST). When I set Layer 1 to oboe and Expressions to oboe, the "melody" dim's but the chords do not.

Perhaps it works differently for velocity instruments than for sustaining instruments.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” — Groucho Marx

Zuill
"The Troll"

Date Joined Oct 2003

Posted 12/29/2016 8:39 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Since I have a different aria player version, it wiped out the sounds, so I didn't know what you had used. Now that you mention what they were, I can test it.

Zuill

Derrek
Registered Member

Date Joined Dec 2009

Posted 12/30/2016 12:35 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It took me years to find out (from MM) what Expressions actually did. It appears to be a vestigial attempt to align dynamics with specific layers, but since it can only work for one layer, it is not of much use for two instruments on a staff.

Still, it's nice to know what it does. Once can always use another tool in the toolbox.

Motet
Isorhythmic

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MotetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2002
Total Posts : 12849

Posted 12/30/2016 2:12 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Expressions used to be different; they could be "note attached" or "measure attached."

Finale 2014.5, 2011b, 2005, TGTools
Windows 7, 32-bit
MIDI input
Finale Transposition Chart