Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Windows - FORUM HAS MOVED! > Watermark revisited  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Messy Piano
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Messy PianoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 67

Posted 10/22/2007 10:04 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have been trying very unsuccessfully to put a watermark on my music before I post it on the web as a PDF. This has been discussed before as something Finale should be able to do, but evidently is not.
I created a beautiful TIFF watermark in Photoshop, but of course, as Brian said back in April, it is not transparent. Even if it is saved as a transparency, Finale does not support this feature.
Has any progress been made in 2008?   I use Finale 2006 and I would upgrade for that feature.
I want to be able to put the watermark on the music in Finale before I print it out and not have to save it as a PDF first.

Ebony Ivory
On Ebony And Ivory I'll Tinkle All Day Long

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ebony IvoryAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4594

Posted 10/22/2007 10:15 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What we need to do is make a Feature Request that allows graphics to be drawn "beneath" rather than "above" the music, in the sense of layers. In other words, first draw/print the graphics, and then draw/print the music, rather than the other way round.

That would be all that was needed to allow watermarks, or even printed textured backgrounds, and so on. As it stands, the only option is to export the Finale music as graphics to some other application, such as PhotoShop or InDesign, and do the watermark there.

For the sake of adding a single button to a preferences dialog, and switching the order of two graphics subroutine calls, MakeMusic could massively add to the usefulness of embedded graphics ...

... and catch up with Sibelius at the same time! :-)

Brian

On ebony and ivory I'll tinkle all day long

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 10/22/2007 12:08 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I use PDF Convertor to make my PDF files. This has the ability to add a Stamp (aka Watermark) to the PDF. The documentation says

Stampstring: When a text string is placed in this setting, PDFCreator puts a "stamp" in the center of each page of the document with that text. You can change the stamps font, color, size, and outline by using the following settings. WARNING: This setting is very experimental. When this setting is used, some pages of the document can become corrupted. Make sure to check your PDF after you create it.

So it's experimental, but it may be worth a try! If you have the program, look in Printer>Options>Document.

I realize this is not quite what you asked for, but it's something...

Mike Rosen

WebLackey for the Seattle SeaChordsmen

PrintMusic 2006 on the PC: Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.
Nightingale on the Ol' Macintosh

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Messy Piano
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Messy PianoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 67

Posted 10/26/2007 1:00 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike, I have tried the Stampstring in PDFCreator. I haven't found a way to preview it, but it did work. It's not as pretty a watermark as the one I created in Photoshop. I didn't know about the possibility of corruption, so thanks for the heads up. I like PDFCreator. It's a great free program.

I just think that Finale should have this feature. Surely it would be used more than colored notes. I would use it all the time because I put all my music on the web. I'm very surprised more Finale users haven't asked for it.

-Susan

Mike Rosen
himself

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Rosen's website.Send a Private Message to Mike RosenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 14146

Posted 10/26/2007 5:48 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Susan,
I did, of course, mean PDF Creator. I'm glad you were able to see through my error!

Mike Rosen

WebLackey for the Seattle SeaChordsmen

PrintMusic 2006 on the PC: Simple Entry, QWERTY keyboard. That's my system, and I'm stickin' to it.
Nightingale on the Ol' Macintosh

Favorite reference: Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, Gerou & Lusk, 1996

"As a musician, he's a damn fine woodworker."

Moosad
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to MoosadAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2010
Total Posts : 1

Posted 9/2/2010 8:57 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hai I am Moosad,
I did find a way to put a water mark in finale. Type the text in the page. Then assign it to the first measure of the page. the text will move near to the first measure. Drag it to some staffs below then only it go under the music notation, then go to 'Display colors' in 'program options' and change the color of 'measure text blocks' to gray. Make sure you enable print colors in the Print dialog box,
Thank you

Krish
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to KrishAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2012
Total Posts : 9

Posted 7/3/2014 9:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi friends
Yesterday I found a post and followed it. It says to add the watermark by creating a transparency added tiff file and placing it as a graphic file. The watermark shows on the screen but it prints dark. can anyone help to make print it correctly ?
Thanks in Advance
regards
moosad

Djard
Registered Member

Click to send Djard email.Click to visit Djard's website.Send a Private Message to DjardAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2010
Total Posts : 518

Posted 7/3/2014 5:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Why not make an image of a Finale music page, import it into Photoshop, add a raster layer with the watermark, merge, save the doc as a raw image to preserve image quality, then import it into PDF Creator. You can also do this in MS Word with a plugin? In this manner you will be able to add your custom watermark with maximum control of transparency and printing. Delete the larger raw file when done. It takes little time once familiar with the procedure.

Djard
Finale 2012