Finale SmartMusic
  Home | Log In | Register | Search | Help

MakeMusic Forum > Public Forums > Finale - Macintosh - FORUM HAS MOVED! > RE ScoreMerger & Keep each file's measure numbering? + Tech's solution and answer.  Forum Quick Jump

You cannot post new topics in this forum. You cannot reply to topics in this forum. Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Poet
Extraordinary

Click to send Poet email.Click to visit Poet's website.Send a Private Message to PoetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011
Total Posts : 23

Posted 5/24/2015 2:02 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello, spent a couple of hours searching here; perhaps this is covered already but could not find it?

I have 4 files, 4 Movements of a Symphony. They are done. ScoreMerger seems to work fine in merging these 4 movements together. With 1 exception; the measure numbers I put into Movement 1, 1st file show up fine, but no measure numbers for the next 3 movements, files.

I do not understand measure number regions and had each of the 4 movements with just Region 1; though tried adding 4 regions to all 4 movements/files to see if that would help with this merger. Don't really understand Systems either?

Each of the post merged Movements 2,3 & 4 do have an arrow pointing back and I think that means a system break or start of new system?

Tried manually putting in any measure number in the 2nd - 4th movements after merge and the option click would not create a measure number and nothing I did could produce any measure number(s) to show up on last 3 movements/files that had been merged?

Everything else is perfect.

So what do I need to do to make these 3 files show the measure numbers that do show up in each of them pre- merging them?

Info:
ScoreMerger Checked:
Merge these files into one file &
Treat as independent movements &
insert blank pages to maintain Left/Right layout &
keep each files measure numbering &

optimize midi channels &
generate report

This problem happens whether I have file/movement 1 open and append the other 3 files or when I don't append and don't have movement/file 1 open but simply merge all 4 files.

After merge of 4 files/movements 'Edit Measure Number Regions' of measure menu/tool does nothing to help me with these 3 merged file/movements. Can't get anything to show up measure number wise?

Otherwise merge is perfect but the measure numbers show only for movement/file 1 just as I notated them.

Any clues to how to solve this?

I'm using a MacBookPro4,1 OS 10.6.8 and Finale 2012a.r3 for Macintosh

Current Finale Version: 2012a.r3 for Macintosh; Previous Versions: Finale 2007 & 2000; No longer have access to my Finale 1996. MAC OS X Version 10.6.8; Macbook Pro HD; 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

"Focus is what aspect one is noticing" -Cage
"or Not" -Strunk

Post Edited (Poet) : 5/28/2015 2:02:23 PM (GMT-5)

Peter Thomsen
Registered Member

Click to send Peter Thomsen email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Peter ThomsenAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2000
Total Posts : 8331

Posted 5/24/2015 2:28 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
In the document you attached, there are 4 identical measure number regions
Each of the 4 measure number regions covers the first movement. (!)

It looks like you have found a bug in the ScoreMerger.

Take a look at the attached document.
I edited the measure number regions “manually”.
It did not take me long, but it is too bad ScoreMerger does not do this correctly.

Peter

Mac Finale, 2011c, 2012c & 2014d, Dolet 6.4 plug-in, Mac OS X 10.9.5, iMac Intel Core i7, 2.93 GHz, 16 GB RAM

File Attachment :
- Sym M1-4(measure numbers).mus   1.19Mb (application/octet-stream)
This file has been downloaded 362 time(s).

Poet
Extraordinary

Click to send Poet email.Click to visit Poet's website.Send a Private Message to PoetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 5/24/2015 2:36 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Ah, I see what you did on the manual editing of the 4 regions. I simply did not understand how to do that and your example now shows me. Thank you for that. So I'll experiment with from thiss example to see if I can get my original measure numbers to show after merge. I'll try putting the info you have in this merged score into each of the individual 4 files then merge them again and maybe that will help?

Again Thanks, just this example alone is a big assist.
---
Hummm.. Hope I don't have to redo these last 3 files within the merged 4 files? You got the 4 regions set up for me and now I can see how they work within the Merged score; but not sure what to do to/for my 2nd, 3rd to 4th movements pre-merge to produce that in the merge plus still keep the measure numbers I already edited within them separately? Here is a copy of second e/file before merge; if you can check it out and see if there is a a way to redo its information in regions and still keep the measure numbers I've set up there plus make it workable for merge then I can on my own make the analogous corrections for M3 and M4. If there is a way to fix these files to merge without that bug?

Current Finale Version: 2012a.r3 for Macintosh; Previous Versions: Finale 2007 & 2000; No longer have access to my Finale 1996. MAC OS X Version 10.6.8; Macbook Pro HD; 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

"or Not" -Strunk

Post Edited (Poet) : 5/28/2015 2:00:03 PM (GMT-5)

Poet
Extraordinary

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 5/26/2015 10:59 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Just got off the phone with tech support. Well, simply put, I have found a 'bug' in Finale Notation software. I am not the first but apparently the Development team has been working on this problem and not been very successful in duplicating it yet. Some people using Finale 2012 and even up to the current version using 2014 run into this problem with ScoreMerger. When using ScoreMerger to merge, like I am, 4 movements/files into one Conductor Score/file the 1st movement's measure numbers show as expected but the 2nd through 4th movements do not show. This only happens for some; some of the time. So I sent their Dev team my files and all software/hardware info and I'm sure they can now with what I sent them duplicate this bug with my files 100% of the time and thus hopefully by tomorrow they will have this finally figured out. The tech guy assured me he'd also find me an efficient work around if necessary too.

I also, found out that finale has no way to make breaks between parts of merged movements but got an easy work around for that already from tech dude so that won't be a problem. Just hope they figure this out by tomorrow and at least give me an efficient work around or dare I hope an actual solution for the disappearing measure numbers from movements.

So another day off. Still it's kind of cool too; finding a bug in a major and significant Software program and supplying the data and files needed to duplicate it; and then solve it.

"or Not" -Strunk

Poet
Extraordinary

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 5/28/2015 1:53 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Answer & workaround for this problem; plus warning that ScoreMerger was designed and is currently in 2012 and 2014 versions for using at end of composing editing process and not midway. Glitches and even file corruptions can occur when trying to continue editing and continue composing after having used scoremerger. Later editions of finale may be OK on these matters since the Dev team is taking this up and working on solutions for later versions based in part on my difficulties and files i supplied them along with info on these matters.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your patience as we work around this issue.

I wanted to let you know right-away that we will definitely be reporting the measure number error to our Development Team. This will allow us to improve our product in the future. I also wanted to set the right expectation before launching into the workaround steps. Unfortunately, the resultant documents of the ScoreMerger function can be tricky. We do know that the majority of folks who merge large documents and then begin to make edits in that large document will begin to run into issues, including file corruption. This is an unfortunate short coming of how the ScoreMerger function is designed; this is why we recommend merging scores using this function once you are finished editing the scores.

However, I know that this would be an unacceptable change in workflow at this point. You are welcome to try this workflow, but you should be aware that you will most likely run into issues.

Now! To the measure number workaround. Before we get to the steps we will want to get the total measure numbers for each movement. You can do this in the future by opening the individual movement, opening the Score Manager (Window > Score Manager), click the File Info tab, and click File Statistics... However, I have already gone ahead and done this step...

MVT I: 676 measures
MVT II: 367 measures
MVT III: 552 measures
MVT IV: 615 measures

1. open Finale 2012
2. Click File > ScoreMerger...
3. Add all 4 movements using the Add Files button
4. Deselect Keep Each File's Measure Numbering (we will need to readjust these manually)
5. Merge the scores
6. With the merged score open click the Measure Tool
7. Click Measure > Edit Measure Number Regions...
8. In the Edit Measure Number Regions dialog box delete all of the Regions present using the Delete button in the Measure Number dialog box
9. Each new region we create at this point will represent a movement of your score. Click Add to add the first region.
10. In the Includes X Through: X fields type 1 [Through:] 676
11. In the Starting Number field type 1
12. Deselect Hide First Measure Number in Region
13. In the Show on Every: X Measures Beginning with Measure: X type 3 and 1
14. Click Add to add the next measure number region.
15. In the Includes Measure field type 677 in the Through field type 1043
17. Click Add to add the next measure number region
18. In the Includes Measure field type 1044 in the Through field type 1595
19. Click Add to add the next measure number region
20. In the Includes Measure field type 1596 in the Through field type 2210

This should set up the measure numbers properly for your merged score. You will want to make sure that the settings under the Linked Parts tab in the Measure Number dialog box (Measure > Edit Measure Number Regions...) are correct as you would like them to be. Currently they are using the Score Settings.

I wanted to go ahead and include a recommendation if you do start to run into any issues editing your merged document. I would recommend first creating folders on your Desktop to contain all of the files for the movements for each score. As you edit these movements' scores, their linked parts (Document > Edit Part > [Part Name]) will update as well. I would recommend editing these individual movements to completion then printing each movement to PDF, then combing these movements using Preview. This will yield better results if you do begin to run into trouble while editing the merged document. You will also need to offset page number before combining these PDFs so each movement's page numbers pick up where the preceding movement left off. I have included some user manual articles that should be helpful if you need to use this workflow instead.

Creating a PDF from a Finale File: www.finalemusic.com/UserManuals/Finale2012Mac/Content/Finale/Adobe_PDF_documents1.htm
Page Offset: www.finalemusic.com/UserManuals/Finale2012Mac/Content/Finale/PGOFFSET.htm

I have also noticed that you are currently running the first maintenance version update of Finale 2012. There is a more current version (Finale 2012c). I would recommend updating to the latest maintenance update for your product (2012c) after following the steps to create these measure numbers. You can access the Finale 2012c Updater for Mac below...

Finale 2012c Updater for Mac: https://store.makemusic.com/Downloads/Default.aspx?id=583

I hope this information helps!

Please feel free to respond to this case if you have any further questions about this issue.

Goofy [The name has been changed to protect the innocent]
MakeMusic Customer Success

"or Not" -Strunk

Dr. Wiggy
Early music: modern methods

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dr. WiggyAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2006
Total Posts : 12628

Posted 5/30/2015 11:52 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
This is where Jari Williamsson's plug-ins come in very handy:

1. Extend Region: this one allow you to extend a selected region to the next double bar.
2. Measure Numbers: this one allows you to create Measure Regions from the current selection.

I filed an error report with MM in 2009 that Score Manager couldn't cope with measure numbers higher than 999. I don't know if this has been fixed.

"This is me helping."

Finale 2014d, 2012 MacMini; 2012 MacBook Pro (10.10.3)
Edirol FA-66; Roland A-49, HP Laserjet 5200 DTN
Ancient Groove Music www.ancientgroove.co.uk

Poet
Extraordinary

Date Joined Aug 2011

Posted 6/1/2015 2:46 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks on the heads up of JW plugins. Nope, they have not fixed the measure cap still 999. But they say they are working on it now. We'll see.

"or Not" -Strunk

N. Grossingink
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to N. GrossinginkAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2002
Total Posts : 3991

Posted 6/1/2015 4:33 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Poet said...
Thanks on the heads up of JW plugins. Nope, they have not fixed the measure cap still 999. But they say they are working on it now. We'll see.

Don't hold your breath and don't put off making summer vacation plans.

N.

Finale 2011c, 2012c - OSX 10.6.8
Finale 2014d - OSX 10.8.5

TgTools, Patterson Plugins, JW Change and Staff Polyphony, QuicKeys 4
Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel, 2GB RAM
New Belgium Trippel Ale

“The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.”
–Assyrian tablet, ca. 2800 BC

rr1
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to rr1AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2013
Total Posts : 18

Posted 11/16/2015 1:55 PM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have just used the scoremerge function for the first time and have the same trouble with disappearing measure numbers - since I see this exchange was 6 months ago thought I'd check - has a fix been put in (other than workarounds) for the measure number problem, i.e., losing them in all movements except the first? thanks -

Phrederica
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to PhredericaAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2011
Total Posts : 41

Posted Today 10:50 AM (GMT -6)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you, Poet!  The measure number workaround worked perfectly for me.

Using Finale 2012c.r13 for Windows